Upstairs at La Croisette - a review

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Upstairs at La Croisette - a review

Post by Doc67 »

I went into the newly refurbished upstairs section of La Croisette, formally the Blue Pumpkin, on Riverside.

The first thing that grabbed me was the fact it was all open air - no air conditioning. However, it was very breezy and quite comfortable. This will not be the case in a few months with 8pm temperatures still around 30 degrees. Lunchtime will be a no go.

Although I haven't been into the downstairs section for well over a year, the menu seems to be identical as before. It is extensive and should cater for most tastes but if you know the menu you can make your own minds up about the wisdom of that decision.

The décor theme attempts to be a lush garden, which is ok except when the foliage hanging down starts to bounce of your head it doesn't really work. We moved to a table less lush. To be fair, it was only the one table like that but someone really ought to have spotted that one.

The food was nice, but not exceptional, just as it was before and which probably explains why it has fallen off my radar for so long. There are just too many places with great food; nice doesn't really cut it anymore. When you factor in the prices and the fact it will be as hot as hell from March onwards, I think this will be a one-off visit for me.

In summary, by comparison, Metro is cheaper, better and much cooler in every way.

Anyway, here are some photo's which will be more informative than my waffling...

The offending table with low foliage
Salad Nicosoise
Ossobuco. Very tasty despite looking like a pile of dog poo.
Note well, $3.30 for a glass of Tiger beer inc VAT.
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Upstairs at La Croisette - a review

Post by Element6 »

Thanks for the review and pics and most especially for saving me $60.

As you say there are enough places at that price point serving really great food that good enough doesnt attract custom any more.
Singsling
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Singsling »

Holy crap that is expensive. Over $13 for a salad and (with tax) over $20 for an osso buco? Even in Singapore that'd be considered a bit pricey

I once went to blue pumpkin there before, the previous layout looked much better than what it has become, with those white sofas and aircon that worked well
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

Back in '03/'04 that balcony was where I spent 2am to 4am every day getting stoned with Tassilo and an elderly German guy whose name I can't recall anymore. I was working at Riverhouse and living a few doors away from La Croisette. I'd walk home from work at around 2am, see the guys up on the balcony (which was Tassilo's apartment at the time), and we'd just sit up there watching the mostly empty street below us. Occasionally there would be some drama, rich kids crashing their cars, crazy Andy making nazi salutes as he marched stark bollock naked in the middle of the street, that deaf mute kid going around taking wing mirrors off cars.

Sorry, not really relevant to the thread, but it all came back when I saw that second photo. Good ol' days.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Singsling wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:23 pm Holy crap that is expensive. Over $13 for a salad and (with tax) over $20 for an osso buco? Even in Singapore that'd be considered a bit pricey

I once went to blue pumpkin there before, the previous layout looked much better than what it has become, with those white sofas and aircon that worked well
I didn't take a good look when I was there, but from my photos I can't see any of the old AC installation from Blue Pumpkin days. They had a lowered ceiling with cassette units and it was always nice and cool in there. I cannot believe they took it all out.

They are going to have two issues soon. Firstly, it will be too hot in there for their price point (think Metro and Oskar). Secondly, because of it's first floor, open fronted and Riverfront facing aspect, when the rains come, with those lovely gusty winds, everyone with ten feet of the opening will get soaked.

I think they could of left the AC units in place and then installed bi-folding doors in readiness for the hot and then hot and wet season, thus making it a convertible space.

To be fair, at the moment, it is perfectly nice spot to have a $1.5 happy hour beer from 4-7pm. But that is a very crowded marketplace in that area. It is also pleasant for a meal, though too expensive for what you get. However, in two or three months time it will have no redeeming features beyond a nice view.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

More than happy with such a restaurant without air-con to be honest; I've fully acclimatised and can't stand trying to eat cold food off a cold plate in a cold 5-star restaurant. Give it to us hot & steaming! I always prefer to sit outside at the likes of Lone Pine cafe, Malis, etc. food always tastes better outside.

Thanks for the review, haven't been to La Croisette for a good year or so, looks like for me it is back on the menu in the hot season! :-)
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Spigzy wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:50 pm More than happy with such a restaurant without air-con to be honest; I've fully acclimatised and can't stand trying to eat cold food off a cold plate in a cold 5-star restaurant. Give it to us hot & steaming! I always prefer to sit outside at the likes of Lone Pine cafe, Malis, etc. food always tastes better outside.

Thanks for the review, haven't been to La Croisette for a good year or so, looks like for me it is back on the menu in the hot season! :-)

If you like the heat, it's right up your street... enjoy...
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Thanks for the review Doc. I've been wondering about upstairs since it was renovated but didn't get around to checking it out. I think the owner has spent quite a bit of $$$ doing this place up..top and bottom. TBH I walk past often and it never seems to be very busy...maybe it's the time of day..dunno. I'm thinking the prices/value ratio is not just there..
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Hard to justify visiting the place at the aforementioned prices. I know Riverside rents are crazy, but the number of high-end places with great food which have popped up (which rival these prices) makes it almost a non-starter. It's a cut-throat business out there.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

mish is a cheapskater ...

however 7 tigers = 7$.. food 7.50$... hooker 25$.. hotel 15$ including breakfast.. (54.50$) .change for more 8 beers in morning.... and that's upmarket!!! my missus can cook that for 1$
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic