Expat Rants about his Bacon Cheeseburger at Moloppor Cafe in Siem Reap

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Expat Rants about his Bacon Cheeseburger at Moloppor Cafe in Siem Reap

Post by General Mackevili »

Saw this on the Expats and Locals Living in Siem Reap Facebook Page. They served him a bacon cheeseburger with no beef patty in it, and when he brought it to their attention he didn't like the way they handled it:

Just ordered a Bacon Cheeseburger at Molopor Cafe on the riverside. Was I wrong to assume that included an actual hamburger patty? It came with just processed cheese and some bacon. After three bites and eating about 3 of the 6 french fries included, I noticed and made them aware of the error. Some conversation ensued. I then asked for them to make me another one. I was then told that, because I have already eaten half - they could only add a hamburger patty to this one.

Away it went, down the sidewalk again, to the other Molopor (where it originated) for a re-fit. (I'm sitting there wondering why they didn't grill my burger patty on the stoked barbecue beside me on the sidewalk patio, which I had anticipated)

Anyhow. Let the photo tell the rest of the story. This is how my plate was returned to me. I did inspect it ... the patty was about 1/4 inch thick.

I left it just like it was, pushing it away with disgust ... asked for the bill and left. No other offer's to make me happy. That was my second and last visit there!

BEFORE: Image Image

AFTER: Image

Comments of distinction:

"Obviously they cater to one time tourist customers only..."

"I don't think so, I think theres a lot of Khmer eat there."

"After seeing that 'burger' come back so molested, I was not going to eat it!"

"Had same experiences over the years. Khmer restaurants don't get the re-plate idea..."

"They obviously don't get the burger either. See, to me, it all starts with a patty and a bun. The cheese, bacon and tomatoes lettuce onions pickles avocado egg, kitchen sink are all toppings. this is why I asked, was I wrong to expect that?"

"I have eaten there several times, but never saw something like that to happen. What's going on in there?"

"what i can't get is that they wouldn't give you a new burger or the fact you paid for this disgrace.....What is happening with this place?? The more people accept this kind of service the more those shops get away with it.....Every shop can have a bad day and that is more than fair, but this doesn't look good at all......Today I gave a free training session to Asia Supermarket to ensure they do something about their cheese section. I hope they remember....."

"Go to Jungle Burger next time. Very good burgers...from about $6-$8 and that includes a free beer or soft drink. Always excellent customer service too."

"Ya that is what I would think, but after two years here I have joined the go with the flow types, because the only results that I saw were nothing and increased frustration on my part. This discussion was discussed tonight at dinner with me and a few. I (we) do not understand how they refuse to acknowledge that customer service is important. There is a definite malaise that they seem not to care of a poor critique, and care not that affects their business. It is as if the do not care it may (if not at first) reduce their own profits and size of their customer base. I just don't undersdtand"

"I disagree with the point this is what it is.....It is what a customer/guest makes out of it.....If I am not happy, I make sure the person/shop knows about it. We as paying guests must not accept that kind of treatment. I didn't call it "service" for a reason..."

"They definitely knew I was not happy, but I am also not one to fight about things or make a scene. It also just makes me upset and ruins my night, even more."

"I know what you mean and I understand you in full. However I am here now for over a year and found that if the people of Siem Reap are not trained in certain areas, there won't be any progress. This would mean that the future of this city is under a type of pressure it doesn't have to be. In my observations I noticed more and more negativity towards the service visitors/guests are receiving. This will inevitably result in travelers talking to each other about bad service in SR and might result in less visitors. Which in return means I am not too sure if to invest into this place once I have sorted my family issue back home. Hence I can only encourage all guests/visitors to complain about services they receive. If I was in Australia and was given this burger I would complain via email to the H/Q and most likely I would receive a $20 voucher as well as a call from the Manager of the shop. I know where I live here in SR and that I am pushing my luck, but do I? The burger would have cost the same in the first place.....As much I as like living here and respect the culture, I believe most places need a major shake-up to get their act together before people like myself who are interested in investing into this place loose their interest."

"I ordered a chef salad at Jungle Burger and it had a few bits of limp lettuce, and a stack of soggy bread pieces, with almost a raw egg on top. I complained and they almost were not going to do anything but I had them call the manager or owner and he let me get a burger instead and no charge for the salad. SE Asia is not know for giving anything away for free even if it was bad. I'll go back to Jungle Burger but not Molopor Cafe."

"The owner Clayton is always there every time I have been. He has 'ownership' and has a sincere desire that you be pleased. Thats why he's so high up on TA now, out of 600 Restaurants, he has an impressive score (can't remember now though the exact number) I don't expect perfection, mistakes will always happen, even when you do everything yourself it will not always be perfect. However, its what you do about it that counts, right?"

"Clayton at Jungle Burger is awesome. He is so helpful and customer service focused."[/I]
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Re: Expat Rants about his Bacon Cheeseburger at Moloppor Cafe in Siem Reap

Post by TheGrinchSR »

While it pains me to admit it - the best burger in Siem Reap can be found at the Hard Rock (for nearly $20 mind you - it should be the best burger in town). But of the cheaper alternatives... Jungle Burger is the best by far and Clayton, the owner, is a top bloke who goes all out to provide a good experience for his customers.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Agree with you Grinch.

Molopor always was vastly overrated.....
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Thumbs up for Jungle.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

General Mackevili wrote: Just ordered a Bacon Cheeseburger at Molopor Cafe on the riverside. Was I wrong to assume that included an actual hamburger patty? It came with just processed cheese and some bacon. After three bites and eating about 3 of the 6 french fries included, I noticed and made them aware of the error...

BEFORE: Image Image

AFTER: Image
Anyone else think it's kinda strange that the guy actually opened up the burger and took a close-up photo of the inside (clearly bacon, but no meat), before eating half of it and THEN noticing that there was no meat ?

I wouldn't call it a setup, but I do think he's exaggerating the horror and taking the piss a bit here, probably angry due to meat deprivation. :evil:
crummyjuggler
Expatriate

Post by crummyjuggler »

Why would he pay for something he did not get? Not me. Why even argue? Just leave.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: Expat Rants about his Bacon Cheeseburger at Moloppor Cafe in Siem Reap

Anchor Moy wrote: Anyone else think it's kinda strange that the guy actually opened up the burger and took a close-up photo of the inside (clearly bacon, but no meat), before eating half of it and THEN noticing that there was no meat ?

I wouldn't call it a setup, but I do think he's exaggerating the horror and taking the piss a bit here, probably angry due to meat deprivation. :evil:
Haha, good point. He dissected it, snapped at least 2 pics, including one with it spread eagle, showing no patty, then closes it up, eats half the thing, then notices...

Very strange.
crummyjuggler wrote:Why would he pay for something he did not get? Not me. Why even argue? Just leave.
He mentions he was on a date (who enjoyed their food), so I'm guessing that's why.

Running out of a restaurant while throwing things around and yelling you won't pay is much harder with a date in tow (yes, I speak from experience).

Image Image

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
crummyjuggler
Expatriate

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Expat Rants about his Bacon Cheeseburger at Moloppor Cafe in Siem Reap

Post by crummyjuggler »

General Mackevili wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote: Anyone else think it's kinda strange that the guy actually opened up the burger and took a close-up photo of the inside (clearly bacon, but no meat), before eating half of it and THEN noticing that there was no meat ?

Haha, good point. He dissected it, snapped at least 2 pics, including one with it spread eagle, showing no patty, then closes it up, eats half the thing, then notices...

Very strange.
crummyjuggler wrote:Why would he pay for something he did not get? Not me. Why even argue? Just leave.
He mentions he was on a date (who enjoyed their food), so I'm guessing that's why.

Running out of a restaurant while throwing things around and yelling you won't pay is much harder with a date in tow (yes, I speak from experience).

Image Image
If my scam detector is going off like his was I walk. Certainly they were scamming him on her meal too. He gave them a second chance and still fail. I wonder what he paid them to be insulted and scammed?
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

$4 for the "burger," which came with a drink.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

He got loads of bacon as well as cheese, which is expensive here. It's not a scam, just a misunderstanding. He paid because he ordered something that wasn't what he thought it was; he put it on fb because he was upset. These things happen. End of.

Who has never got something surprising in a Cambodian restaurant? There are loads of stories about "I ordered this, and I got that". :no: And much worse than this one.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic