Goodness Me! It’s Gluten Free

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Goodness Me! It’s Gluten Free

Post by ego bibere nimis »

rozzieoz wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:26 am
Chad Sexington wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:11 am
rozzieoz wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:40 pm We will be open again next week. Unfortunately we had to close due to stupid Covid.
We now have the MOST delicious gluten free cookies on the menu, 3 for $5. They are to die for, please buy lots so I don't get fat!
5 Bucks for 3 cookies! they must be the size of dustbin lids?
Here's a fun game: Guess how much a loaf of gluten free bread costs at Super Duper?
nearly triple the cost of standard white bread. What do I win?
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:03 am
rozzieoz wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:40 pm We will be open again next week. Unfortunately we had to close due to stupid Covid.
We now have the MOST delicious gluten free cookies on the menu, 3 for $5. They are to die for, please buy lots so I don't get fat!
Here's a fun game: Guess how much a loaf of gluten free bread costs at Super Duper?
More than triple. The last loaf I bought was a lot smaller than a standard loaf (in slice count) and cost me $9.50. At that price, the bread alone for a toasted sandwich would be close to a dollar.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

rozzieoz wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:05 am
More than triple. The last loaf I bought was a lot smaller than a standard loaf (in slice count) and cost me $9.50. At that price, the bread alone for a toasted sandwich would be close to a dollar.
Hope it goes well, but given that less than 1% of the population is gluten intolerant, I assume you are also heavily targeting Khmers to make the business sing.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:07 am
rozzieoz wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:05 am

Hope it goes well, but given that less than 1% of the population is gluten intolerant, I assume you are also heavily targeting Khmers to make the business sing.
Assume whatever you want :)
vivathedivas
BANNED
Australia

Post by vivathedivas »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:07 amHope it goes well, but given that less than 1% of the population is gluten intolerant, I assume you are also heavily targeting Khmers to make the business sing.
Pretty sure westerners have a higher % of gluten-intolerance than Khmers, so I doubt many Khmer customers, or a smaller percentage. In addition, westerners are far more aware of allergies/intolerances than Khmers.

Roz?
Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

vivathedivas wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:13 pm
ego bibere nimis wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:07 amHope it goes well, but given that less than 1% of the population is gluten intolerant, I assume you are also heavily targeting Khmers to make the business sing.
Pretty sure westerners have a higher % of gluten-intolerance than Khmers, so I doubt many Khmer customers, or a smaller percentage. In addition, westerners are far more aware of allergies/intolerances than Khmers.

Roz?
People order on Nham24 and we send the order, we don't find out what their ethnicity is.
mi1
Expatriate
Belarus

Post by mi1 »

rozzieoz wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:22 am If you are not gluten intolerant, you are not in my target market and your opinion counts for zero.
Does this means there's no benefit from gluten free food for gluten tolerant people ?
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

mi1 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:21 pm
rozzieoz wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:22 am If you are not gluten intolerant, you are not in my target market and your opinion counts for zero.
Does this means there's no benefit from gluten free food for gluten tolerant people ?
No, I can't think why you would need to go gluten free if you never have a reaction to gluten.
It's not less fattening or any healthier than other food, it just doesn't contain gluten (which is the protein found in what, rye and barley).
I may be wrong but why go to all the extra expense and annoyance if you don't have to?

However, there are probably a LOT of people out there on medication for aches and pains, who could cure those by going gluten free.
Many people don't realise they are gluten intolerant until they give it up and realise how much their health has improved.
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

The best way to be gluten free is to eat keto - avoid all carbs entirely - much better for you to eat meat and low carb veggies only and stay away from sugars and grains/starches. Sorted.
Stay classy na
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

David Gordon wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:33 pm The best way to be gluten free is to eat keto - avoid all carbs entirely - much better for you to eat meat and low carb veggies only and stay away from sugars and grains/starches. Sorted.
Gluten is protein, so make sure your protein powder is gluten free, if you use powder, that is.
Locked Previous topicNext topic