Buffalo Sister

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Buffalo Sister

Post by newkidontheblock »

Buffalo Sister

15 Street 454 Toul Tum Poung 1, Phnom Penh 12310, Cambodia

Heard so much about the roasts, had to drop in for a look.

Menu is limited to 2 cards. One two pager for food, another for everything else.

Unfortunately, it wasn’t roast day, and it wasn’t steak day.

Instead I started with a mango banana smoothie, followed by a roast pork and crackling dinner, then finished with home made carrot and walnut cake.

The smoothie was ok. Not strongly tasting of mango or banana. But also not super sweet.

The main was good.

The pork was cooked just right, the gravy is rich, but a little thin, mashed potatoes creamy whipped.

Being a Texas transplant, I am familiar with crackling, but not a fan. The large piece of pig skin is heavily fried like an egg roll wrapper, and tasteless. But makes for excellent scoop for the mashed potato and gravy.

For dessert, I chose home made carrot and walnut cake with lemon cheesecake topping, with ice cream and whipped cream on the side.

The cake wasn’t dry and went well with the ice cream and whipped cream.

Damage was $12.

Missus comment - there’s no rice. It can’t be lunch. She took some courtesy bites. Went to a Khmer place to complete lunch.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Buffalo Sister

Post by Username Taken »

Why didn't she have the Loc Lac? It comes with rice.
A10
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by A10 »

My wife said the same thing "There's no rice."

Next time you go try the lamb on roast day. Good stuff, especially with that mint leaf sauce they make. Have to order quickly otherwise it'll be gone as the last two times I went I missed out.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

A10 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:31 pm My wife said the same thing "There's no rice."

Next time you go try the lamb on roast day. Good stuff, especially with that mint leaf sauce they make. Have to order quickly otherwise it'll be gone as the last two times I went I missed out.
the lamb and roast beef is the best i have had in PP
well recommended, but you need to get there by midday for the lamb or fone ahead and reserve one.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Took my mother there for a Sunday roast a month back. We both had the lamb and it was perfect!
Portion size is huge as well... we’re talking plate full ok. I didn’t even look at the desserts as I was so stuffed.

Personally, I would rather have a limited choice on the menu knowing each item will be excellent rather than adding items the chef is not familiar with that could leave the customer feeling “yeah it was ok”.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Gutted since they stopped doing roast beef during the week as it was my regular for a roast beef salad wrap. The roast chicken is still good though, friendly staff and very flexible on ordering (I'm one of those, "no tomato, extra beef and yes I'll have the crackling even though I'm not having pork because it's bloody great. Extra crackling please" sorts). For $6-7 it's a damn good deal. I just had an Eric Kayser chicken baguette which by contrast had two pieces of lettuce, three tomato slices (even though I asked for none), and about four slices of chicken - $4.50 for not even quarter a Buffalo Sister sandwich filling.

But Buffalo Sister folks ... please bring back the roast beef during the week, I'll order double - heck I'll pay for the whole joint & eat it all week!!! :-)
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Irony Man
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Irony Man »

If you ask me, the roast accompaniments are all wrong.
That pork should be plain, or with a light gravy, not that thick beef stock.
Where is the apple sauce?
The veggies could be shredded cabbage, mashed carrot with black pepper, and fingerling potatoes in skins, and all with butter, and rosemary, to enhance the pork, not drown it out.
The crackling needs to be moist, rich and fatty with a crunchy top, not all dry and papery like some bar snack.
Beef should have yorkshire puddings and horseradish.
Having said all that, there's nothing bad on the menu, most of it is excellent, and it's all very good value.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Irony Man wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:59 pm If you ask me, the roast accompaniments are all wrong.
That pork should be plain, or with a light gravy, not that thick beef stock.
Where is the apple sauce?
The veggies could be shredded cabbage, mashed carrot with black pepper, and fingerling potatoes in skins, and all with butter, and rosemary, to enhance the pork, not drown it out.
The crackling needs to be moist, rich and fatty with a crunchy top, not all dry and papery like some bar snack.
Beef should have yorkshire puddings and horseradish.
Having said all that, there's nothing bad on the menu, most of it is excellent, and it's all very good value.
You had me, right up to the point you said horseradish... :stir:
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Username Taken wrote:Why didn't she have the Loc Lac? It comes with rice.
It would make it 2 dishes. I usually order a plate and share it. Especially with western foods, it’s more than enough for two. I tend to lose weight as the eternal tourist when in the Kingdom of Wonder. Probably something to do with all the burdens of work and life lifted off my soul and not stress eating, not forced to cram a meal down in 5 minutes or less, etc.

Thanks everyone for the wonderful suggestions. Will definitely need to try more off the menu in the future.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic