Aussie XL (under new management)

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Aussie XL (under new management)

Post by newkidontheblock »

Last posting about this place was about 2 years old or so, so thought I might do an update.

Went there for lunch today.

Smaller than I had imagined it. Name suggested a gigantic sports bar place. But still nice atmosphere.

Menu was laminated sheets on a clipboard.

Not sure if was to make their menu stand out from other places.

Asked the waitress for something typically Australian. She kept suggesting the most expensive steak on the menu. I wasn’t interested in steak at the time.

Finally took a look at the Australian Mains section and selected Chicken Parmigiana. Also comes with a small salad and fries on the plate.

At first glance, I thought it was a small pizza. The small salad had a mixture of vegetables, but the steak fries really stood out. Thick fries, but not too thick. Nice and hot with a crispy outside and soft inside.

Aussie parmigiana was a giant fried chicken cutlet topped with a layer of tomato sauce, tomato slice, and a really thick layer of cheese. The lack of breading on the chicken made it a little soggy on the top from the tomato sauce and cheese. Used to Italian style parmigiana, so Aussie style is different, but good nonetheless.

Overall, a rich, satisfying meal for two.

As we were finishing, missus was wondering. Do aussies really such a giant plate by themselves?

JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Re: Aussie XL (under new management)

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Looks a bit like a school dinner lol
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Typically aussie parmigiana
How do you pronounce that?

monstra mihi bona!
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

the genuine article is always crumbed/breaded
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:56 pm Asked the waitress for something typically Australian. She kept suggesting the most expensive steak on the menu. I wasn’t interested in steak at the time.
Dude, in all due respect, why would you do that? You seem like a well-traveled and worldly guy, I bet you have even been to Australia. You should have known about Australian cuisine already, and asked how the Wombat Chops or Croc & Vegemite Butties were. The poor waitress likely had no idea what you were talking about, don't blame her.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Phnom Poon wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:02 pm Typically aussie parmigiana
How do you pronounce that?
Chicken Parma.

Yes most bistros and non fancy dining meals are large portions in Aus and now when I go for a visit cannot eat a full meal . My kids are embarrass when I ask for half to take away. I even asked for the grand kids meals as take away as they only ate about a third. Waste not, want not.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

I thought it was bought by a singaporean/malaysian guy. Seems (from various other reports) that the food has improved since the Aussies were in charge of the menu :stir:
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:56 pm Last posting about this place was about 2 years old or so, so thought I might do an update.

Went there for lunch today.

Smaller than I had imagined it. Name suggested a gigantic sports bar place. But still nice atmosphere.

Menu was laminated sheets on a clipboard.

Not sure if was to make their menu stand out from other places.

Asked the waitress for something typically Australian. She kept suggesting the most expensive steak on the menu. I wasn’t interested in steak at the time.

Finally took a look at the Australian Mains section and selected Chicken Parmigiana. Also comes with a small salad and fries on the plate.

At first glance, I thought it was a small pizza. The small salad had a mixture of vegetables, but the steak fries really stood out. Thick fries, but not too thick. Nice and hot with a crispy outside and soft inside.

Aussie parmigiana was a giant fried chicken cutlet topped with a layer of tomato sauce, tomato slice, and a really thick layer of cheese. The lack of breading on the chicken made it a little soggy on the top from the tomato sauce and cheese. Used to Italian style parmigiana, so Aussie style is different, but good nonetheless.

Overall, a rich, satisfying meal for two.

As we were finishing, missus was wondering. Do aussies really such a giant plate by themselves?
I agree, a fun night out and good way to dine is to share an entree and an appetizer, and then still feel good enough for dessert. It's fun to share food, its good not to feel overly stuffed, and its even economical.

Problem for us us that we don't generally want to choose the same foods often, except, she does like steak.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

John Bingham wrote:Dude, in all due respect, why would you do that? You seem like a well-traveled and worldly guy, I bet you have even been to Australia. You should have known about Australian cuisine already, and asked how the Wombat Chops or Croc & Vegemite Butties were. The poor waitress likely had no idea what you were talking about, don't blame her.
Thanks for thinking so highly of me. I’ve never been to Australia, or any of those other far off exotic places.

From the menu, Australian Mains section (I would assume this is food aussies typically eat).

Bangers and Mash
Fish and Chips
Chicken Parmigiana
Lasagna

Maybe burger?

No pies, no Vegemite, no wombat, no croc, no shrimp on the Barbie on the menu. Are there places in town that serve this?

As for the Parmigiana, since it was Aussie XL, I assumed that this was Aussie way - no thick bread coating, just a clean fry.

Aussies are always free to chime in and share how real Australian food should look and taste.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic