What happened to the food at Larry’s?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: What happened to the food at Larry’s?

Post by newkidontheblock »

Duncan wrote:We are all worried,,,, sounds like a prelude to a divorce.
‘Jam tic pram chivit’. My favorite phrase when she goes off on a worry binge.

She’s coming home today. Had to be admitted for intractable vomiting.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

I eat at Larry's a few times a week. I live in TTP. If the food sucked, I would not go there.

As an aside, yes, Luigi's is fantastic. Our local in TTP.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:18 am Now she’s been puking her guts out for the last few days. Forced her to get her friend to take her to Khema and get admitted. Haven’t heard of her since then, doesn’t answer SMS or calls. Worried.
Maybe it's morning sickness.

Did you knock her up already with your potent little mushroom dick?

Great, now we're in for endless stories of the newbabyontheblock.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:18 am
Now she’s been puking her guts out for the last few days. Forced her to get her friend to take her to Khema and get admitted. Haven’t heard of her since then, doesn’t answer SMS or calls. Worried.
I'm surprised you did not tell us she pukes rainbows and daffodils.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Trebormint wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:25 pm
The Suk Straggler wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:56 pm I moved to town two weeks ago and have eaten at Larry’s at least five times. Everything has been good ... I don’t think they make a habit of serving raw chicken.

Larry isn’t tall. He wears shorts and has very noticeable chicken legs. Ruben is the bearded one ... nice guys both of them.
As I said in my initial post on the raw chicken, I have eaten that dish several times in Larry's before so I'm sure that the lousy food on Friday was a rarity.
As for who the guy who spoke to me, he's never introduced himself so I have no idea if he was Larry, Harry or Barry but he was obviously in charge on this and every other visit and as ridiculously unprofessional and unsympathetic as is possible, hence my annoyance.
I'll not be revisiting so there'll be no confrontation but my 'vengeance' (if that's the right word) will be a dish served cold.
Just like the chicken.
Sounds like Gary.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Cam Nivag wrote:I'm surprised you did not tell us she pukes rainbows and daffodils.
Puked typhoid. Turned white from all the puking. Miserable for all involved. Thanks for the concern.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

To be honest, all the fan-fair over Larry's sausage pizza is what took me there initially.

I wasn't disappointed and with over a decade of dinning experience in PP, Larry was only the second owner/operator who ever made a point of walking over and asking how my meal was. The other was Cadillac Kenny.

It's a nice touch to do so and reflects well upon the owners professionalism and customer service ethos.

What turned me off more was the clientele I encountered. Which is no fault of Larry's per se.

I'm more of a lone-wolf type and don't enjoy being pawed at by loud-mouthed Americans, shouting from across the room, "Hey bro, is that calamari any good?", "You really gotta try...", "How long you been in the Penh?", whilst their Khmer companion slowly pokes at the lime slice in her drink, zoning out with that 10,000 yard stare that only comes from seeing too many stretch-mark covered beer bellies, zit-pocked flabby asses and knotted greying pubic hair over endless months of bar-girl toil.

Larry's has become trendy among a certain circle of expats. The same as Rehabb was ,Ostro now, etc, etc, etc.

And I'm anything but trendy.

It made me sick to see those sycophantic chode's fawning about Rehabb and Nat, like a bunch of obsequious, high school dickheads. Nat can now be seen on Pontoons facebook page just about every other day, so wonder about what's going on there.

No one would ever dare to say a cross word about the latest trendy locale. And anyone with the integrity to do so, was from then on, seen through suspicious eyes.

As was said previously, no venue is perfect and you can never please all the people all of the time.

But some of you need to let a guy post about his bad experience without jumping on your white-night horse to be the first to decry such a "heretical" post, just to prove how down with the in-the-know expats you are.

Now to top it all off, Felgerkarb says that he's there "a few" times a week. Which means 3 + visits?

What happened to him? Felg used to be the trend setter, not trend follower. The stalwart man who always walked to the beat of his own drum...

It's hard to type with tears in my eyes...the last of my PP heroes has diminished from sight...

...curse you Larry's.....curse you....
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Nat is some sort of manager working at Pontoon so that's probably why she's in a lot of pictures but what did that have to do with anything?
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I'm of the view that whatever country theme the bar/restaurant has, it will nearly always have a regular, loyal group of their respective countrymen that will frequent the place. Maybe it's to chat with their fellow countrymen whether that be bar owner, manager, other customers.. Or the food is familiar to back home. Or it's like a little oasis of your home country in a foreign land. Being and having a feeling of like with like and all that..

Of course if the food is off, the owner/manager is a dick..ppl will stay away regardless but I'm talking in general.

See it all the time.. Larrys with the americans, Chez Gaston with the french, Genova with the italians, Shanghai with the brits...a few examples.

Lone star was a classic example.. whenever the former owner Greg from Texas was in town, there was always more american guys coming in. Maybe it's a similar situation with Larry?
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:22 pm See it all the time.. Larrys with the americans, Chez Gaston with the french, Genova with the italians, Shanghai with the brits...
...Cadillac/Manhattan with the Clutchcargo's :mrgreen:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic