What happened to the food at Larry’s?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: What happened to the food at Larry’s?

Post by timmydownawell »

andy_morris wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:22 pm Do khmer staff understand Americans when they ask for the cheque and wave their hands around like they are signing an invisible, floating cheque?
That's an internationally recognised gesture, and I have so far only found one Cambodian waiter who didn't understand it.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Trebormint
Tourist
Andorra

Post by Trebormint »

Just experienced a truly disgusting eating experience at Larry's.
I ordered chicken parmesan for the umpteenth time, it's usually good.
Eating in the shadows in a booth.
I'd eaten 4 or 5 mouthfuls before realising that the chicken was mostly raw. Had to use phone torch to confirm my fears.
I still feel like vomiting.
The utter clown running the place reacted by reassuring me that at least it wasn't raw pork I was eating. Lucky me!
Made a big deal of not charging me for the one beer I'd had.
I won't be back.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Trebormint wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:17 pm Just experienced a truly disgusting eating experience at Larry's.
I'd eaten 4 or 5 mouthfuls before realising that the chicken was mostly raw. Had to use phone torch to confirm my fears.
The utter clown running the place reacted by reassuring me that at least it wasn't raw pork I was eating. Lucky me!
I won't be back.
"Chicken has a reputation as a food safety nightmare. After all, raw chicken carries the salmonella bacteria, which is responsible for more cases of food poisoning than any other pathogen." It also can contain Campylobacter among other pathogens.

Hope he didn't charge you for chicken or replaced the meal!
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Can someone define a proper Cambodian lady? There are pretty ex bar girls working at BMW and probably other retail outlets who demand eye candy.
Are the mistresses of the okneas proper Cambodian ladies or the second or third wives of politicians? Are models, pop stars or TV stars proper Cambodian ladies?
Some of the posters here seem to be self righteous judgemental arseholes. Lighten up fellas, life’s too short to worry about trivia. Maybe you should be back in the west where young women fuck multiple men like bunny rabbits.
Trebormint
Tourist
Andorra

Post by Trebormint »

Kuroneko wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:47 am
Trebormint wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:17 pm Just experienced a truly disgusting eating experience at Larry's.
I won't be back.
"Chicken has a reputation as a food safety nightmare. After all, raw chicken carries the salmonella bacteria, which is responsible for more cases of food poisoning than any other pathogen." It also can contain Campylobacter among other pathogens.

Been sick as a dog all night.
A replacement meal was offered but there's no way I was going to eat anything else there.
If my guts are back to normal tomorrow I'm going to stand outside and tell would be Sunday lunchers not to risk a poisoning. Hopefully a few lost covers will remind the sloppy bastards about basic food safety.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Trebormint wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:39 am
Kuroneko wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:47 am
I won't be back.

Been sick as a dog all night.
A replacement meal was offered but there's no way I was going to eat anything else there.
If my guts are back to normal tomorrow I'm going to stand outside and tell would be Sunday lunchers not to risk a poisoning. Hopefully a few lost covers will remind the sloppy bastards about basic food safety.
This is Cambodia. What will most likely happen is someone will pay a few TukTuk drivers to take you to hospital, or maybe you will just be arrested for defamation. You may get more satisfaction reporting this to the people responsible for examining food hygiense at restaurants. they are cracking down and it will be far more inconvenient and costly for the owner to wriggle out of. tuk drivers are cheap
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

If you are happy tell the world.

If you are unhappy with the meal, tell the owner. I'm sure Larry has ears
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Duncan wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:34 pm If you are happy tell the world.

Seriously? i thought he was deaf and not there a lot. maybe i am confusing him with someone else
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

pczz wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:35 pm

Seriously? i thought he was deaf and not there a lot. maybe i am confusing him with someone else

CAN YOU SPEAK UP A BIT
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Trebormint
Tourist
Andorra

Post by Trebormint »

pczz wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:35 pm

I did tell him. He told me to be grateful it was raw chicken rather than raw pork.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic