What happened to the food at Larry’s?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: What happened to the food at Larry’s?

Post by IraHayes »

Spigzy wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:23 pm Haha Brody, not sure whether to worry about Mrs. Spigz meat-cleaver, or your hooks! ... Sometimes that bar-girl, she looks right into ya. Right into your eyes. And, you know, the thing about a bar-girl... she's got lifeless eyes! ;) [considers a thread on famous film quotes modified for Cambodia]

1st hand experience seeing aforementioned women at work, 2nd hand information on what occurred out of sight. Honest guv'nor! :D
Did any of them ask you if you had a bigger boat?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Spigzy wrote:However, would add Larry's steaks & salads are excellent value for the money.
Do the steaks look like this or worse?

Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Better.

I still don't get the bullshit of one sprig of broccoli, one of cauliflower and a carrot with two ice cream scoops of sloppy texture-less mash. Whichever sick bastard started that trend should be shot; I first encountered it at the Pickled Parrot maybe 13 years ago now & every new bar that serves vegetables seems to be equally stingy.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Spigzy wrote:Better.

I still don't get the bullshit of one sprig of broccoli, one of cauliflower and a carrot with two ice cream scoops of sloppy texture-less mash. Whichever sick bastard started that trend should be shot; I first encountered it at the Pickled Parrot maybe 13 years ago now & every new bar that serves vegetables seems to be equally stingy.
This is the restaurant steak I’m used to having. If that’s what Larry’s steaks look like, I’m going.

Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Here's another thing Larry's gets right. You order your food and they immediately put the computer printout of the check in front of you. When you'r ready to pay, you just hand the girl the check and your money. It cuts out the most time consuming and tedious process of eating in a Cambodian restaurant, which is finding a staff member when it's time to ask for the check and then waiting for that staff member to go and get you the check. As well as sitting there neurotically wondering, "Did she just see me when I asked for the check or do I have to ask again?"
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Cam Nivag wrote:Here's another thing Larry's gets right. You order your food and they immediately put the computer printout of the check in front of you. When you'r ready to pay, you just hand the girl the check and your money. It cuts out the most time consuming and tedious process of eating in a Cambodian restaurant, which is finding a staff member when it's time to ask for the check and then waiting for that staff member to go and get you the check. As well as sitting there neurotically wondering, "Did she just see me when I asked for the check or do I have to ask again?"
It would be so much easier if you just asked for the cheque, then you wouldn’t have to worry about checking if she understood that you wanted the check and that you weren’t just doing a check up to see if she is still alive.

No checks involved when you ask for the cheque. Bloody Americans.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

[Mod Edit: Please don't attack fellow members like that. Thanks.]
andy_morris
Expatriate

Post by andy_morris »

Do khmer staff understand Americans when they ask for the cheque and wave their hands around like they are signing an invisible, floating cheque?

JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:21 am
Spigzy wrote:However, would add Larry's steaks & salads are excellent value for the money.
Do the steaks look like this or worse?

That's the most depressing thing I've seen in ages.
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by logos »

Agreed. Wrong colour, wrong cooking, wrong quantity, wrong price.

I'm partial to a bit more vegs as well, like here
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic