Gyro?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Gyro?

Post by StroppyChops »

epidemiks wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:20 pm Goat is severely underrated. Sure, I wouldn't want spring billy goat chops, but slow cooked goat shanks rajasthani style... I'd take that any day over lamb, at a quarter the price.
I'd go some goat.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

As for gyros, fat boys has a gyro special, it's ok, but it's probably not what your looking for.

Not much around in the takeaway kebab/souv/gyro market.

Hummus House do shawarmas. Decent, if small. Just had one of their sujuk shawarmas.

Maybe Aroma on 19, but I think they only do mezze.

Old mate outside Neil's mini mart does 'kebabs', attempt at own risk.

Never come across a proper Greek restaurant in PP besides Steve's steakhouse.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

StroppyChops wrote:
epidemiks wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:20 pm Goat is severely underrated. Sure, I wouldn't want spring billy goat chops, but slow cooked goat shanks rajasthani style... I'd take that any day over lamb, at a quarter the price.
I'd go some goat.
$6kg at the prek pra Cham market I believe.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

when i went to Sziget Festival in Budapest, my cousin introduced me to Gyros, they sold them at the festival and some places in the city, delicious!
at first glance thought i thought you was talking about Giro aka in the UK... the dole cheque lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

epidemiks wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:36 pm
StroppyChops wrote:
I'd go some goat.
I've rarely seen sheep here, the only times have been around Cham communities near the city and my Cham friend's farm in Takeo.
It doesn't seem an ideal climate for an animal with so much hair. Goats are good for clearing scrub but they totally destroy trees and
everything else in their vicinity. Neither animal is suited to low-lying swampy ground, and will suffer foot-rot and other complications
down on the plains and wetlands.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:03 pm
epidemiks wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:36 pm
StroppyChops wrote:
I'd go some goat.
I've rarely seen sheep here, the only times have been around Cham communities near the city and my Cham friend's farm in Takeo.
It doesn't seem an ideal climate for an animal with so much hair. Goats are good for clearing scrub but they totally destroy trees and
everything else in their vicinity. Neither animal is suited to low-lying swampy ground, and will suffer foot-rot and other complications
down on the plains and wetlands.
I was literally having a conversation with AE86 a few hours ago about goats and their habits, not the least of which is climbing trees...

Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

You don,t get gyros anymore, if you are signing on you need a bank account!
charlie
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

No sheep in Cambodia!

Always "hope" but never "expect".
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

the tree climbing goats are in Morroco, although maybe they are in other places?
charlie
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Sorry to disappoint but i am freezing my nuts off in crete at the moment and I will be buggered if there are any lamb Gyros. Pork or chicken. Lamb kepabs yes.
Talking of lams i nearly ran over a flock in Kandal just over the mekong from riverside a while back., Anyone else seen any? I was told Calmette used their blood for something. Small flock about 100 or so
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic