What's wrong with street food?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
wendyaspinall
BANNED
Great Britain

Re: What's wrong with street food?

Post by wendyaspinall »

taabarang wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:46 pm "It is a fact that there is really nothing nice about explotative, harsh Asia."

Oh really? As it happens I have been married to an exceptionally fine Cambodian woman for over 15 years. Had she desired to exploit someone she would have married a much wealthier man. While there's much about Cambodia I don't like I never found a Western woman who could equal her in so many ways. I hope you find happiness somehow.
I have to disagree with you. I have been abused by too many Asiatics.
Most Asian women are especially horrible and abusive in most ways.
anyway, your private life is own business.
I just think Asia is really rotten to the core.
Last edited by wendyaspinall on Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

. mil eats quite well these days, i have done a bit od contracting with them in byegone years, and it is not like the bad old days.

MS Wendy, I am not going to let you continue your little keyword seeding exercise here. we all saw your song and dance at the other place and do not need any duplicate content here.
if you want to keep posting, feel welcome but no more nonsense, none equating to zero.
wendyaspinall
BANNED
Great Britain

Post by wendyaspinall »

frank lee bent wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:13 pm . mil eats quite well these days, i have done a bit od contracting with them in byegone years, and it is not like the bad old days.

MS Wendy, I am not going to let you continue your little keyword seeding exercise here. we all saw your song and dance at the other place and do not need any duplicate content here.
if you want to keep posting, feel welcome but no more nonsense, none equating to zero.
I shall stop posting here. I was only mentioning my bad experience with street food inCambodia and suddenly someone see fit to comment about my personal circumstances in a rude manner.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

wendyaspinall wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:08 pm
I have to disagree with you. I have been abused by too many Asiatics.
Most Asian women are especially horrible and abusive in most ways.
anyway, your private life is own business.
I just think Asia is really rotten to the core.
-insert signature here
eriksank
Expatriate

Post by eriksank »

iluvu wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:38 pmI live in a borey so there's lots of mobile food thingies for the workers and their camp or whatnot...
In terms of hygiene, visibility is important. Everybody can see how the stalls handle your food.

That is way less the case in hotels and restaurants where you may not see what is going on in the kitchen. If you cannot see what they are doing in the kitchen, you should imagine the worst. Murphy's law pretty much guarantees that the worst is exactly what they are doing over there.

In that sense, I reasonably assume that street food is more hygienic than food that comes out of a restaurant kitchen hidden from sight.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

eriksank wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:28 pmIn that sense, I reasonably assume that street food is more hygienic than food that comes out of a restaurant kitchen hidden from sight.
You might find that this is not always true. May western run hotels work with HACCP (Hazard analysis and critical control points) and the hygiene is considerably better than in any street food restaurant.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"Most Asian women are especially horrible and abusive in most ways."

And you, who were born in Asia, how is it that you escaped being "horrible and abusive" like other Asian women?

"I just think Asia is really rotten to the core."

Wrong, it's not Asia who's rotting inside.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
eriksank
Expatriate

Post by eriksank »

hanno wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:44 pmMay western run hotels work with HACCP (Hazard analysis and critical control points) and the hygiene is considerably better than in any street food restaurant.
Someone would still need to inspect these kitchens for their effective use of HACCP. Otherwise, you would "trust" the staff in these kitchens for doing so, and then the system would not be trustless. The practice of doing inspections, just moves the Byzantine Generals' problem to the inspectors. The resulting system would still not be trustless; while a system that is not provably trustless can fundamentally not be trusted. In and of itself HACCP does not address the core issue, while inspection by the customers themselves, some of whom may be trained in HACCP, does effectively address the issue. I only trust properly-constructed peer-to-peer systems. Centralized systems will only end up exacerbating things.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

frank lee bent wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:47 pm usa take the prize for awful mobile food trucks ( roach coach) that go round industrial areas.
they can make a fortune
The worst food I ever ate on the street in Thailand was far superior in flavour and quality that the Roach Coaches in the US I have eaten in over the years.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic