Do you need a valid, up to date visa in order to withdraw money from your bank account?

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
User avatar
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Posts: 2511
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 10:17 am
Reputation: 735
Sao Tome & Principe

Do you need a valid, up to date visa in order to withdraw money from your bank account?

Post by Cam Nivag » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:03 pm

I've seen posts on two different Facebook groups from people this week saying banks (or at least ABA bank) won't allow withdrawals from your account unless you show a valid visa. Is that true? New rule, apparently.

If this is true, I can't think of a valid reason for it other than to f*ck with people who overstay their visas.

I mean, if the bank just wanted to confirm the account holder's identity, this could be done by looking at the "face page" of the passport, not checking for a valid visa.

Have any overstayers been denied their own money at a bank despite producing a passport because their visa is expired? I haven't seen any reports of that specifically, but overstayers generally don't admit to overstaying on Facebook.
User avatar
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Posts: 13679
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 am
Reputation: 1881
Location: Naklua
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Do you need a valid, up to date visa in order to withdraw money from your bank account?

Post by Jamie_Lambo » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:12 pm

Cam Nivag wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:03 pm
I've seen posts on two different Facebook groups from people this week saying banks (or at least ABA bank) won't allow withdrawals from your account unless you show a valid visa. Is that true? New rule, apparently.

If this is true, I can't think of a valid reason for it other than to f*ck with people who overstay their visas.

I mean, if the bank just wanted to confirm the account holder's identity, this could be done by looking at the "face page" of the passport, not checking for a valid visa.

Have any overstayers been denied their own money at a bank despite producing a passport because their visa is expired? I haven't seen any reports of that specifically, but overstayers generally don't admit to overstaying on Facebook.
who waits 30minutes at ABA just to withdraws money, just use the bloody ATM, ive taken at least $800 out in one go from my ABA Account,
if you needed more than that, then id probably expect security measures
the only time i go into the bank is when im making deposits (or when i got my card swallowed by the ATM when drunkenly putting the wrong Pin in too many times lol)
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
User avatar
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Posts: 2511
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 10:17 am
Reputation: 735
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: Do you need a valid, up to date visa in order to withdraw money from your bank account?

Post by Cam Nivag » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:30 pm

Good question. One of the reports was from someone who went to ABA to receive a moneygram, not to withdraw his cash from his account. They copied his visa and he had to sign it. I wonder if Western Union does this too. That might affect the Nigerian community who sometimes get cash by Western Union/Moneygram and sometimes have overstayers.
User avatar
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Posts: 13679
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 am
Reputation: 1881
Location: Naklua
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Do you need a valid, up to date visa in order to withdraw money from your bank account?

Post by Jamie_Lambo » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:36 pm

Cam Nivag wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:30 pm
Good question. One of the reports was from someone who went to ABA to receive a moneygram, not to withdraw his cash from his account. They copied his visa and he had to sign it. I wonder if Western Union does this too. That might affect the Nigerian community who sometimes get cash by Western Union/Moneygram and sometimes have overstayers.
i received some money via western union before, im sure i needed my passport, i think mainly for ID though, im sure it got scanned, cant remember if they did the visa too or not, i think its standard practice though, they photocopy passport and visa when you check into hotels n shit dont they? why wouldnt they do it in this scenario too,
if your Visa is valid i dont see why people would have a problem enough to complain on Facebook, if your Visa isnt up to date, i think theyve got bigger problems to deal with
:facepalm:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
User avatar
John Bingham
Expatriate
Posts: 6001
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:26 pm
Reputation: 1940
Yemen

Re: Do you need a valid, up to date visa in order to withdraw money from your bank account?

Post by John Bingham » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:06 am

The screw is turning on non-compliant westerners now. Maybe some overstayed their welcome, as well as their visas. Things are going to get more difficult for everybody now.
User avatar
onico
Expatriate
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:55 pm
Reputation: 28
Cambodia

Re: Do you need a valid, up to date visa in order to withdraw money from your bank account?

Post by onico » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:17 am

John Bingham wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:06 am
The screw is turning on non-compliant westerners now. Maybe some overstayed their welcome, as well as their visas. Things are going to get more difficult for everybody now.
Hopefully, comfort and quality of life are improving everyday in Cambodia.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.
User avatar
John Bingham
Expatriate
Posts: 6001
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:26 pm
Reputation: 1940
Yemen

Re: Do you need a valid, up to date visa in order to withdraw money from your bank account?

Post by John Bingham » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:26 am

onico wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:17 am
John Bingham wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:06 am
The screw is turning on non-compliant westerners now. Maybe some overstayed their welcome, as well as their visas. Things are going to get more difficult for everybody now.
Hopefully, comfort and quality of life are improving everyday in Cambodia.
That's been true for many years. Unfortunately many foreigners spend short periods here and don't understand that.
User avatar
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Posts: 2748
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:49 am
Reputation: 408
Location: Sihanoukville
Korea North

Re: Do you need a valid, up to date visa in order to withdraw money from your bank account?

Post by cptrelentless » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:15 am

I went and took three grand out of my ABA account a couple of months ago and just showed them my passbook. Could have been anyone.
User avatar
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Posts: 2511
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 10:17 am
Reputation: 735
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: Do you need a valid, up to date visa in order to withdraw money from your bank account?

Post by Cam Nivag » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:18 am

cptrelentless wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:15 am
I went and took three grand out of my ABA account a couple of months ago and just showed them my passbook. Could have been anyone.
Yeah, people are saying the visa check is new.
User avatar
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 4:25 pm
Reputation: 176
Nigeria

Re: Do you need a valid, up to date visa in order to withdraw money from your bank account?

Post by Cowshed Cowboy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:41 am

Let’s hear from the expat workers in jobs in this new Cambodia. ( and not just the couple of middle men who everyone arse licks )
Never trust a man who when left alone with a tea cosey, doesn't try it on.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anchor Moy, atst, Bing [Bot], CommandoRed, Duncan, laredo, siliconlife, The Seawolf and 340 guests