Do you need a valid, up to date visa in order to withdraw money from your bank account?

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Do you need a valid, up to date visa in order to withdraw money from your bank account?

Post by Gardiguy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:33 am

I was at Phillips 2 weeks ago and withdrew money and also reset my app password and they just confirmed my passport, no visa check. I do know that the ATMs for my ABA account have never asked me for my visa for withdrawals or deposits.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Do you need a valid, up to date visa in order to withdraw money from your bank account?

Post by beaker » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:41 am

Like banks world wide they will take advantage of every excuse possible to keep your money
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:55 am

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:36 pm
Cam Nivag wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:30 pm
Good question. One of the reports was from someone who went to ABA to receive a moneygram, not to withdraw his cash from his account. They copied his visa and he had to sign it. I wonder if Western Union does this too. That might affect the Nigerian community who sometimes get cash by Western Union/Moneygram and sometimes have overstayers.
if your Visa is valid i dont see why people would have a problem enough to complain on Facebook, if your Visa isnt up to date, i think theyve got bigger problems to deal with
:facepalm:
This, kind of a non issue really. Just don't overstay
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:21 am

I withdrew three grand from Acleda this morning and deposited it into my ABA account.

No ID required. No notice in ABA about any change in their rules.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:38 am

I don't see how they would enforce this on ATM withdrawals.

I suppose they could register the visa expiry date and link it to your account.

Sneaky
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:38 am

I agree with cautious colin. It is a non issue, Why wouldn't you have an up to date visa? I mean lets face it anyone without a visa i.e. an overstayer is highly unlikely to have anything left in the bank to withdraw anyway and if they do it is probably a good idea the bank hangs onto it o pay the overstay fines they are racking up. :stir:
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:53 am

This is a bit off topic, but does anyone know of a bank where you can open a savings account with a tourist visa?
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
davebodia
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by davebodia » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:15 am

Canadia and Acleda don't even require I.D. let alone a current visa.

Edit: Unless of course they've changed their rules over the past couple of months.
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:16 am

taabarang wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:53 am
This is a bit off topic, but does anyone know of a bank where you can open a savings account with a tourist visa?
ABA - passport is all you need for basic savings account
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:53 am

I use ANZ. Never been asked for ID, let alone visa...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic