When does no more mean no more?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: When does no more mean no more?

Post by Yerg »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:27 am
Khmu Nation wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:25 am I have considered gofundme and then sending the link to my mates back home but it goes against my personal ethics as I strongly believe in libertarian values and self responsibility. So I don't think I can go cap in hand. But I am considering it.
Khmu, i really (really) respect your feeling on this.
but as Phnom Poon says
"the very definition of 'society' and 'civilization' is that we care for one another".

Sometimes our set philosophies just do not cut it.
In this case, this is where Libertarianism fall down badly. helping others.
It is no shame nor sin nor anything to ask for help - it is simply humanity and humbleness.

For a bleeding-heart do-gooder like me, the crunch would probably be when the time comes to accept inevitability and realise that no more can be done. My natural inclination would be to be foolish rather than wise.
I feel for you Bro'. Lots of us do.
Kinda agree @Khmu Nation. Unless your decision is to end whatever support you have offered so far, I'd be inclined to give it one last go with a wider community. I think the sentiment expressed by many members so far has been one where they would like to try and help. I hate the saying, but there is a gift-horse waiting to talk to you, and you should never stare it in the mouth. Let those of us who want to help try to help. It might not be much, and it might not make an inevitable difference, but the very least we can do is to collectively try. This is a kid we are talking about. Come on man, set it up and let the wonder of the web hopefully give the little mite a chance. Between us all, I'm sure we can help spread it further and wider, and maybe make a difference. If it doesn't work, use any surplus to help a proper, notable charity in Cambodia make a difference, in the name of the kid!!!
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

You should not jeopardize the future of your own child by spending all of your money on this awful tragedy.
Set up the go fund me...
It is the best option at this point.
You are not going hat in hand.
You are just doing the right thing at this point and time.

my wife put up her land to borrow money for morphine for her cancer riddled father... borrowed more from a brother and paid for his funeral.
I have given her $100/month for almost 3 years to pay this off. June is the final installment.
She was under so much pressure after taking care of him for months at the hospital bathing and feeding and finally buying morphine.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

When does no more mean no more?

Post by rozzieoz »

I’ll give something when you get it set up.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Thanks for your suggestions. I will loom into gofundme at work tomorrow.

Cheers
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

Khmu Nation wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:25 am I have considered gofundme and then sending the link to my mates back home but it goes against my personal ethics as I strongly believe in libertarian values and self responsibility. So I don't think I can go cap in hand. But I am considering it.
but as Phnom Poon says
"the very definition of 'society' and 'civilization' is that we care for one another".

It is no shame nor sin nor anything to ask for help - it is simply humanity and humbleness.

For a bleeding-heart do-gooder like me, the crunch would probably be when the time comes to accept inevitability and realise that no more can be done. My natural inclination would be to be foolish rather than wise.
Bolded by me. Thank you very much, this really resonates with me.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

yongchi wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:30 pm
but as Phnom Poon says

Bolded by me. Thank you very much, this really resonates with me.
@Khmu Nation Self-responsibility ends at a kid getting a serious illness like this. I'm with Stern and Yong, there is nothing wrong with asking for help. I'm sure you are already realising that, right now, your ethics (whilst grand) need to be left to one side., for the sake of your nephew. I'm delighted that you decided to listen to other's thoughts, and we all hope we can get him the help that he so desperately needs. Keep on trucking, and please let us now how both the fundraising and Kantana's treatment goes. Best wishes pal!!!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: JustGiving Page for Wive's Nephew

Post by phuketrichard »

Good thing you have done BUT
I am curious why you state £4,000, surely that wont cover his all treatment needed now and in the future

Regardless, best of luck

on a side note; did u do ur due diligence on justgiving?
https://alternatives.co/justgiving/
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/0 ... ff-200000/

[Admin Edit: On another side note, we moved this post and some replies from another topic to here, where it seemed more appropriate. Thanks.]
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Re: JustGiving Page for Wife's Nephew

Post by Khmu Nation »

I asked my wife how much is needed to further his treatment in Laos and that is what she said - well she said around $5000, she is a nurse so I assume this is correct. It would be about $30,000 in Thailand. The hospital he is in is pretty basic but they do treat child cancer there.

I will spend some more of my own money on the boy so I thought I would put up $4000 and see what happens. I was hoping for about $1500 but it has exceeded that. The result has been extremely positive. I am very grateful to all who have donated.

:thumb:
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Re: JustGiving Page for Wive's Nephew

Post by Khmu Nation »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:48 pm

on a side note; did u do ur due diligence on justgiving?
No I didn't but pretty much all big charity foundations have extremely well paid ceo types, that's the way it is. To be honest I am only interested in getting money for the boy. The ethical issues of how much staff earn, what % are wasted on staff expenses, etc, are of little concern to me at this point in time.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

I feel you on this, however, I think you did the right/smart thing by starting it.

IMHO, there is nothing inherently wrong with crowdsourcing on GoFundMe, it's the fact that some people have taken major advantage of it by asking for money for ridiculous things. I remember seeing a friend back home start a GoFundMe account to throw her kid a birthday party. WTF. If that isn't 'first world problems' that irritate the fuck out of me, I don't know what is. Even then though, it's all fair game, as it's DONATIONS, and people can give or not.

Thoughts are with you and the fam, as it's a heartbreaking situation for all of you.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic