E WHAT?!?!?!!!!!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: E WHAT?!?!?!!!!!

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

CAMBOGUY123 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:30 pm Have not posted to this in a while. I verified that my passport has been returned and now has a three month EG Business Visa. No trace of the Retirement Visa anywhere.

No such thing as an EG Business Visa...you either have an EB (Business) EOS, or an EG (General) EOS...which is it?
I thought you had a job? If so, you should have submitted an official, stamped letter of employment from your employer and applied for either a 6 or 12 month EB EOS...NOT an EG EOS

Now for another issue if anyone can comment...
I have been informed that Cambodia will now be fining me for never having a work permit. I have been in Cambodia for two years now (two years on November 2nd actually) and have always had some type of Business Visa. I have never had a work permit because I have never had a job (although I did volunteer teach at an orphanage for one month). I was looking for work but never found employment. I survived off of savings.

No, you will not be fined...you will be charged a retroactive fee for the 2 years you were in Cambodia on an E-type Visa EOS without a WP. It's only $100 per year. If you're applying for your WP through an agency you will definitely be hit with the retroactive fee, if you apply for your WP via the online portal then it is hit n miss whether or not you will be charged the retroactive fees.

If you received a 3 month EG EOS, you won't be able to apply for the WP...unless some dodgy agent is handling your application

I now have a job, and am turning in my passport in an attempt to get my (first) work permit. I have been told I may need a physical exam and letter from my landlord along with employment letter. I am concerned about the fines...

Have you done any bloody research, searched the forums??? :facepalm: Yes, there is a simple medical exam needed for your WP app, you will also need to apply for a Certificate of Residence from your Sangkat, and yes you will need your official letter of employment. Your employer also needs to have registered for their foreign employee quota, and must not have exceeded that quota for the year.

Anybody ever have this experience?

Does Cambodia still want teachers from the West?

I think they want teachers who know how to conduct research and have an ounce of common sense...I sure as hell wouldn't want you teaching my kids!
Jack.R.
Expatriate

Post by Jack.R. »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:57 pm Yes, I had to pay 8 years back payments for work permits. Luckily my company paid for 4 of them. There was an amnesty earlier this year or last year but basically you need a work permit for any years you have an E type visa.
Unless you get a new passport
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"I think they want teachers who know how to conduct research and have an ounce of common sense..."

Many Khmer managed schools will hire a paid twirp and pay accordingly.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic