What DON'T you miss from "back home"?

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything, whether it relates to Cambodia or not. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
User avatar
IraHayes
Expatriate
Posts: 346
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 7:38 am
Karma: 27
Marshall Islands

Re: What DON'T you miss from "back home"?

Postby IraHayes » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:26 am

ali baba wrote:Waking up in the dark, going home in the dark, being cold all day, narrow congested streets, lack of a social life especially after 11pm.

Guess where I'm from....
Spoiler:
small town England
This tbh.

And, the sense of entitlement ofc. This is a biggy. I recently deleted a few people from FB for their whining about the apparent lack of service at an NHS hospital. In fact when people ask me if I'll return to England I simply say I will never go back because the people are so miserable. They hate their jobs, they hate their neighbors, their children all have ADHD, the weather sucks for 10 months of the year, they owe to much money. And the highlight of their year and the reason they put up with all the afore mentioned shit is for those 2 weeks in the sun at some Mediterranean tourist rip-off resort.
User avatar
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Posts: 894
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 8:10 pm
Karma: 1
Location: Nung river
Libya

Re: What DON'T you miss from "back home"?

Postby The Add Jay » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:08 pm

Obama and the nightmare he has introduced to the world is what I dont miss. soon it will catch us all here. i feel it around the corner..in either the form of expensive visa's or taxes. he will get us.
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.


Ordinem ad Imperium
User avatar
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate
Posts: 1322
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 8:32 am
Karma: 0

Re: What DON'T you miss from "back home"?

Postby Sir_Quality_U_Feel » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:14 pm

IraHayes wrote:
ali baba wrote:Waking up in the dark, going home in the dark, being cold all day, narrow congested streets, lack of a social life especially after 11pm.

Guess where I'm from....
Spoiler:
small town England
This tbh.

And, the sense of entitlement ofc. This is a biggy. I recently deleted a few people from FB for their whining about the apparent lack of service at an NHS hospital. In fact when people ask me if I'll return to England I simply say I will never go back because the people are so miserable. They hate their jobs, they hate their neighbors, their children all have ADHD, the weather sucks for 10 months of the year, they owe to much money. And the highlight of their year and the reason they put up with all the afore mentioned shit is for those 2 weeks in the sun at some Mediterranean tourist rip-off resort.
USA Here-

Walking through a bar/ club and accidentally bumping into another Male and having it escalate into some shit that is not warranted. Everyone trying to prove something. Vanity, in the sense there was often to much of it, myself guilty as well.

$10 JD and Cokes in the clubs around Scottsdale.

The mind games that suburban white bitches play in a relationship because pop culture and movies influence these dumb broads.

Class-ism becoming more overt and accepted. The wealth gap is growing.

The price of higher education and the student loan system

The War on Drugs

Speed Limits

Worrying about blowing over .08 BAC because I drank 2 beers and left the bar. ( 1 beer per hour is .08 for most people)

Militarization of local/state police forces.

Christians and Mormon cunts

Lawsuits for stupid shit beyond my control( being sued)

Americans who take pride in not taking a single day off work for "X" amount of years as if it is an accomplishment and not pathetic.

Americans who haven't traveled outside of America and have opinions about other cultures.

Dumb White girls

Dumb Black girls.

Dumb Asian Girls

Dumb Hispanic Girls

Passive-agressive behavior of suburban folks. Got a problem with me, fucking come tell me like a man and talk about it. Don't fucking called the Homeowners Association in our community because I left my trash can(bin) out for more than 24 hours or had 1 too many house guests parking their vehicles in the street for the 1 party I have per year.

Ummmmm... lemme think...

People from Florida

Tax

prostitution is illegal... that's gay as fuck.

McDonalds and fast food alike.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
User avatar
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Posts: 618
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:42 pm
Karma: 17
Location: Ba Ria-Vung Tau, VN
Vietnam

Re: What DON'T you miss from "back home"?

Postby ExPenhMan » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:57 pm

Where to start: Others have posted similarly about establishing a pecking order. This is a biggie. A dinner party with the girlfriend (major job at renowned hospital) where everyone played a role. I don't think there was one natural exchange in the entire evening. Everyone tried to take a measure of me with their bald, penetrating questions much like a job interview. The males sat dutifully, roles reversed because all the girls were in the same institution talking about new management styles, and they shut the fuck up. In the kitchen, the males (submissives all) began to see if they could cut me down (my employer was No. 1 in the auto sector). It was the sickest thing I'd ever witnessed. I bailed. Went for a walk out in the cold until I cooled off. Never did a dinner party again. We broke up soon after because her cellphone was her lover. (Found out later she'd been seeing a psychiatrist for 7 years!)

Watching people leave a coffee shop with their $35 coffees: $5 coffee, $30 parking ticket, every morning.

Surly civil servants and transit employees.

Pretentious restaurants and chefs.

Aggressive and unforgiving driving behaviour.

People with a sense of entitlement when they bum a cigarette ($10 a pack)

Grossly inflated cellphone prices and services ($6.99 system access fee! $40 to replace a lost SIM! Gimme a break)

Someone else mentioned this: brushing by a guy in a bar and he reacts like you've grabbed his pint and poured it over his head.

Pretentious neo-hippies living in a certain part of town who think they're somehow outside the norm while they sit in a coffee shop with bandana around their forehead and unzipped leather jacket.

City regulations that won't let customers smoke at coffee shops and bars with outdoor, uncovered, wide-open sidewalk patios.

Guess that's enough because I can feel my BP rising.
Soi Dog
Expatriate
Posts: 2236
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 8:53 am
Karma: 4

Re: What DON'T you miss from "back home"?

Postby Soi Dog » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:05 pm

ExPenhMan wrote:Aggressive and unforgiving driving behaviour.
Good thing you moved to SE Asia, then. None of that here. :thumb:


...and anyone who complains about the overly litigious nature of the US will be crying about the lack of law & order and social responsibility in Cambodia if they ever get plowed into by a Bong Thom or have their family's land taken away.
User avatar
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate
Posts: 1322
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 8:32 am
Karma: 0

Re: What DON'T you miss from "back home"?

Postby Sir_Quality_U_Feel » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:32 pm

Soi Dog wrote:
ExPenhMan wrote:Aggressive and unforgiving driving behaviour.
Good thing you moved to SE Asia, then. None of that here. :thumb:


...and anyone who complains about the overly litigious nature of the US will be crying about the lack of law & order and social responsibility in Cambodia if they ever get plowed into by a Bong Thom or have their family's land taken away.
I think you are making a pretty big assumption there.

I was "plowed" into by another driver when I was 17 in the States.... didn't even think about suing. I love Cambodia's lack of law and order.

You don't see how you are going to an extreme end of the spectrum here when all things are in context?

And yes, if an multi-ton moving piece of steel hit my body, I probably would cry.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
Soi Dog
Expatriate
Posts: 2236
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 8:53 am
Karma: 4

Re: What DON'T you miss from "back home"?

Postby Soi Dog » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:43 pm

Sir_Quality_U_Feel wrote:I was "plowed" into by another driver when I was 17 in the States.... didn't even think about suing. I love Cambodia's lack of law and order.
If you felt the desire to pay your medical bills out of your own pocket and fix your own damaged car/bike after someone else's negligence, then I will never be able to understand your point of view on this one. We'll see how much you love Cambodia's lack of law and order if/when it affects you directly, and severely.
User avatar
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate
Posts: 1322
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 8:32 am
Karma: 0

Re: What DON'T you miss from "back home"?

Postby Sir_Quality_U_Feel » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:38 am

Soi Dog wrote:
Sir_Quality_U_Feel wrote:I was "plowed" into by another driver when I was 17 in the States.... didn't even think about suing. I love Cambodia's lack of law and order.
If you felt the desire to pay your medical bills out of your own pocket and fix your own damaged car/bike after someone else's negligence, then I will never be able to understand your point of view on this one. We'll see how much you love Cambodia's lack of law and order if/when it affects you directly, and severely.
I was 17, a minor , thus covered under my fathers General Motors health insurance. I wasn't injured very badly, no surgery, thankfully. Hospital, MRIs, CAT Scans, neck brace.

The vehicle I was driving was deemed by my INSURANCE company to be "totalled" It was a pretty fair process and within a month I had a check in my hand for what could buy me damn near the same car.

Soi Dog- Of course the lack of laws here is a double edged sword. I, like most who live here fully realize this. That doesn't mean that I cannot say that I DO NOT miss the OVER-litigious society that is my homeland. I actually didn't even bring up anything about Cambodia's lawlessness and haven't really even given my opinion on it.

I think it would be fairly safe to say that the lawlessness and "Ruggedness" of Cambodia, for lack of better words, which attracts a lot of us here, is also waiting to potentially come down like a ton of bricks on us if we fuck up.

There is no denying that. For example, a school here fucked me over and didn't pay me a month's salary. There really wasn't shit I could do. Back in America, I would have easily taken them to small claims court, stated my case, and easily won.. For sure. Does that make me change me view on this, no.

Have a good day and I am not arguing anymore about something trivial. I don't like my country's propensity to sue anyone over everything. Nuff said.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
User avatar
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4189
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Karma: 7
United States of America

Re: What DON'T you miss from "back home"?

Postby OrangeDragon » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:43 am

I think his argument here is that you wouldn't even likely get that sort of protection. You'd be a bit left out in the wind most likely, possibly even with the insurance companies here.... I've heard they're rather finicky on payouts.
Tim Linkinwater
Expatriate
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 10:42 pm
Karma: 0

Re: What DON'T you miss from "back home"?

Postby Tim Linkinwater » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:47 pm

In Britain, at least, you can't get anything done if you are dealing with any part of the state apparatus. The red tape and inefficiency is astounding, and unlike here you can't pay a "facilitator fee" to sort it out.


  • Advertisement
Booking.com

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Chatter”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], IraHayes, Jaap N., Jerry Atrick, STEVITO, whereami and 210 guests