A Very Sad Expat Story in Kampot - BUT with Happy Ending

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
User avatar
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Posts: 38186
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:13 am
Reputation: 2175
Location: CEO Newsroom in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Contact:
Cambodia

Re: A Very Sad Expat Story in Kampot - BUT with Happy Ending

Post by CEOCambodiaNews » Thu May 14, 2020 7:23 am

Image
Cambodia News, (Kampot) - On Tuesday, May 12, 2020, O'Brien George Allen, aka Tom, came to be photographed and fill out an application for a new Khmer national ID card in the name of Sen Samnang, at the Cambodian Identity Office located in the Customs Office in Kampot, after he obtained Khmer nationality.
Image
Image
Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
User avatar
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate
Posts: 3537
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:32 pm
Reputation: 727

Re: A Very Sad Expat Story in Kampot - BUT with Happy Ending

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus » Thu May 14, 2020 4:08 pm

Kingdom of Wondering...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
User avatar
Doc67
Expatriate
Posts: 2951
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:16 am
Reputation: 2376
Location: PHNOM PENH !!!!!
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: A Very Sad Expat Story in Kampot - BUT with Happy Ending

Post by Doc67 » Thu May 14, 2020 4:46 pm

Sen Samsung... cool name with great connections...
jubo2
Expatriate
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:02 am
Reputation: 33
Cambodia

Re: A Very Sad Expat Story in Kampot

Post by jubo2 » Mon May 18, 2020 1:17 pm

PSD-Kiwi wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:58 pm
Whilst it is a sad story, I have little to no sympathy for for him. Not only did he fail to conduct due diligence before purchasing land, which if he had he would have known that foreigners cannot legally own land and he could have taken steps to protect his interest ie. long term lease, set up and purchase through a company...instead he trusted a real estate agent to purchase the land under his (the real estate agents) name, and it also appears that he failed to conduct any due diligence on building regulations as he has built a permanent structure within 30m of the riverbank, which he could be forced to demolish if the state deems. Nice looking house though, the guy obviously had money - but no common sense.


This is the only truth as I understand.
So why making of him a special case ? No money but selling land for $100000+
...
User avatar
kgbagent
Expatriate
Posts: 745
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:19 pm
Reputation: 185
Cambodia

Re: A Very Sad Expat Story in Kampot

Post by kgbagent » Mon May 18, 2020 2:55 pm

jubo2 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 1:17 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:58 pm
Whilst it is a sad story, I have little to no sympathy for for him. Not only did he fail to conduct due diligence before purchasing land, which if he had he would have known that foreigners cannot legally own land and he could have taken steps to protect his interest ie. long term lease, set up and purchase through a company...instead he trusted a real estate agent to purchase the land under his (the real estate agents) name, and it also appears that he failed to conduct any due diligence on building regulations as he has built a permanent structure within 30m of the riverbank, which he could be forced to demolish if the state deems. Nice looking house though, the guy obviously had money - but no common sense.


This is the only truth as I understand.
So why making of him a special case ? No money but selling land for $100000+
...

Simple ..... he ran out of money so decided to sell some of the land only to discover his so called 'partner' had screwed him over. He still needs some money so he is selling some of his land now that he is Cambodian and the title is in name.
jubo2
Expatriate
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:02 am
Reputation: 33
Cambodia

Re: A Very Sad Expat Story in Kampot

Post by jubo2 » Mon May 18, 2020 3:04 pm

kgbagent wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:55 pm
jubo2 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 1:17 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:58 pm
Whilst it is a sad story, I have little to no sympathy for for him. Not only did he fail to conduct due diligence before purchasing land, which if he had he would have known that foreigners cannot legally own land and he could have taken steps to protect his interest ie. long term lease, set up and purchase through a company...instead he trusted a real estate agent to purchase the land under his (the real estate agents) name, and it also appears that he failed to conduct any due diligence on building regulations as he has built a permanent structure within 30m of the riverbank, which he could be forced to demolish if the state deems. Nice looking house though, the guy obviously had money - but no common sense.


This is the only truth as I understand.
So why making of him a special case ? No money but selling land for $100000+
...

Simple ..... he ran out of money so decided to sell some of the land only to discover his so called 'partner' had screwed him over. He still needs some money so he is selling some of his land now that he is Cambodian and the title is in name.


so he is just a real champion !

congrats to him !
Albror
Expatriate
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:55 am
Reputation: 53
Sweden

Re: A Very Sad Expat Story in Kampot - BUT with Happy Ending

Post by Albror » Mon May 18, 2020 5:59 pm

Chara made it a viral story by operating a account in his name deleting any comments that questioned why a American wrote so poor khmer English or anything about the story itself.

In cambodia when things go viral things get done. This time for a American to make People forget for a while how many of their own people who suffer without recieving any help at all.

With all that Said ofc i wish him luck but there is so much fabrication in this whole thing that it made me sick. All those fake posts from him and hunt down of doubhters being told to Close their mouths or in at least one case get their pictures posted on Facebook by Chara beeing called prostitute among other nasty things by the Tom mob after writing to him unknowing that it was actually going to her.

Tom was lucky now i hope this goes away.
User avatar
kgbagent
Expatriate
Posts: 745
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:19 pm
Reputation: 185
Cambodia

Re: A Very Sad Expat Story in Kampot - BUT with Happy Ending

Post by kgbagent » Tue May 19, 2020 12:17 pm

Albror wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:59 pm
Chara made it a viral story by operating a account in his name deleting any comments that questioned why a American wrote so poor khmer English or anything about the story itself.

In cambodia when things go viral things get done. This time for a American to make People forget for a while how many of their own people who suffer without recieving any help at all.

With all that Said ofc i wish him luck but there is so much fabrication in this whole thing that it made me sick. All those fake posts from him and hunt down of doubhters being told to Close their mouths or in at least one case get their pictures posted on Facebook by Chara beeing called prostitute among other nasty things by the Tom mob after writing to him unknowing that it was actually going to her.

Tom was lucky now i hope this goes away.
As i mentioned earlier .... he has jumped from the frying pan to the fire in regarding his choice of agents
RandyN
BANNED
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:41 am
Reputation: 32

Re: A Very Sad Expat Story in Kampot - BUT with Happy Ending

Post by RandyN » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:38 am

The happy ending is not so happy it appears.

RandyN
BANNED
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:41 am
Reputation: 32

Re: A Very Sad Expat Story in Kampot - BUT with Happy Ending

Post by RandyN » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:57 am

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anty, BillDoe, Bing [Bot], Deefer, FrankReynolds, Google [Bot], hmmmokay, Joakim, lurcio, Marty, siliconlife, starkmonster, xandreu, YeP and 373 guests