Traffic Rules

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
User avatar
fazur
Expatriate
Posts: 994
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:03 am
Reputation: 358
Norway

Re: Traffic Rules

Post by fazur » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:13 am

Marty wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:28 am
They can charge you for a sex crime in the US. Thats as retarded as putting people in prison for weed.
we should let them roam around near children? :shock:
Electric Earth
Expatriate
Posts: 379
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:44 pm
Reputation: 224
United States of America

Re: Traffic Rules

Post by Electric Earth » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:09 pm

Yerg wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:16 am
...I'd be more worried about what cellphone carriers can see what I'm up to...
It's the same fucking thing. ...Well, not quite the same thing. With cell phones, the lobbyists are paying the government officials to pass laws that allow them to invade your privacy. But at least there you agreed to it by using a google(android) phone or downloading an app that has privacy invasion written into the agreement. When the government starts putting cameras up everywhere,or contracting with other companies to get it done and paid for, your own government is actively participating in your privacy invasion, I know the idea of a government actually acting in the interests of the citizens rather than corruption is basically a joke, but it's pretty bad when they start openly, actively participating in privacy invasion, and somehow manage to convince the citizens that it's fine. And as I said, you're not agreeing to it. It's worse than the cell companies.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
User avatar
John Bingham
Expatriate
Posts: 8031
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:26 pm
Reputation: 3851
Yemen

Re: Traffic Rules

Post by John Bingham » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:45 pm

I'm in and around the center city every day. Most drivers do actually observe lights, unless they want to turn right. They don't bother me as much as the dumb asses who pull up on the left and stop and then proceed to turn right across the traffic once the light turns green. I used to think teenagers were the worst drivers but at least they have some remaining focus. The worst drivers are old men who dawdle along driving like it's 1985 and the roads are empty.
User avatar
Yerg
Expatriate
Posts: 1130
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:41 pm
Reputation: 743
Location: 1984
Great Britain

Re: Traffic Rules

Post by Yerg » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:02 am

Electric Earth wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:09 pm
Yerg wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:16 am
...I'd be more worried about what cellphone carriers can see what I'm up to...
It's the same fucking thing. ...Well, not quite the same thing. With cell phones, the lobbyists are paying the government officials to pass laws that allow them to invade your privacy. But at least there you agreed to it by using a google(android) phone or downloading an app that has privacy invasion written into the agreement. When the government starts putting cameras up everywhere,or contracting with other companies to get it done and paid for, your own government is actively participating in your privacy invasion, I know the idea of a government actually acting in the interests of the citizens rather than corruption is basically a joke, but it's pretty bad when they start openly, actively participating in privacy invasion, and somehow manage to convince the citizens that it's fine. And as I said, you're not agreeing to it. It's worse than the cell companies.
Okay, it's clear that my sarcasm didn't come across well in my post. That was indeed my whole point. We sign up to this shit every day. Visit a new website, accept the cookies. Buy a phone, accept that we are being watched/listened to. Buy an Alexa or Google Nest, have our every breathing word listened to. Use a GPS/Maps app, people know where I am going/coming from. Perhaps I should have made it more obvious that I was taking the piss... I'll endeavour never to make that mistake again.

I actually don't give a flying f*** about cameras. I've lived and worked in more surveilled places than the UK when it comes to cameras. Keep 'em coming, the more the merrier.
User avatar
Duncan
Sir Duncan
Posts: 8151
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:22 pm
Reputation: 2332
Location: Wonder Why Central

Re: Traffic Rules

Post by Duncan » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:49 am

John Bingham wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:45 pm
I'm in and around the center city every day. Most drivers do actually observe lights, unless they want to turn right. They don't bother me as much as the dumb asses who pull up on the left and stop and then proceed to turn right across the traffic once the light turns green. I used to think teenagers were the worst drivers but at least they have some remaining focus. The worst drivers are old men who dawdle along driving like it's 1985 and the roads are empty.

I'm going to have to call you out on that one JB. I have a view of the traffic lights on Street 110 and Riverside and often count 8 to 10 cars and 10 to 20 motos and tuk-tuks going through the red light there.

Your welcome to stand on the corner at the lights to prove me wrong..
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
User avatar
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Posts: 1325
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:44 pm
Reputation: 624
Kiribati

Re: Traffic Rules

Post by Phnom Poon » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:01 pm

Duncan wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:49 am
traffic lights on Street 110 and Riverside
possibly the least useful set in the whole city
they should move them to one of the many other places they are needed

.

monstra mihi bona!
epidemiks
Expatriate
Posts: 1509
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:56 pm
Reputation: 441
Australia

Re: Traffic Rules

Post by epidemiks » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:04 pm


DaveG wrote:
And this fuckin bollox about ignoring lights because turning right is exactly that BOLLOX, Red means fuckin STOP, everybody that runs a red light should be Nicked and pay a fine on the spot or have to scooter confiscated, no exceptions because they are poor or any other excuse, try that in any other part of the world...........
Right turns on red are explicitly allowed under traffic law, except in the case of a red right arrow.

Priority *should* be given to the traffic with a green, but like looking left or right while turning, that's a work in progress.

Driving down the wrong side of the road around stopped traffic to turn right on a red, however, is not.
User avatar
John Bingham
Expatriate
Posts: 8031
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:26 pm
Reputation: 3851
Yemen

Re: Traffic Rules

Post by John Bingham » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:18 pm

Duncan wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:49 am
John Bingham wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:45 pm
I'm in and around the center city every day. Most drivers do actually observe lights, unless they want to turn right. They don't bother me as much as the dumb asses who pull up on the left and stop and then proceed to turn right across the traffic once the light turns green. I used to think teenagers were the worst drivers but at least they have some remaining focus. The worst drivers are old men who dawdle along driving like it's 1985 and the roads are empty.

I'm going to have to call you out on that one JB. I have a view of the traffic lights on Street 110 and Riverside and often count 8 to 10 cars and 10 to 20 motos and tuk-tuks going through the red light there.

Your welcome to stand on the corner at the lights to prove me wrong..
As above, those are useless lights. I mean major junctions.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
Posts: 379
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:44 pm
Reputation: 224
United States of America

Re: Traffic Rules

Post by Electric Earth » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:43 pm

Yerg wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:02 am
Okay, it's clear that my sarcasm didn't come across well in my post.
Ah. Sorry I missed the sarcasm. Sometimes it's difficult to tell when reading text if it isn't really obvious. *shrug* Or maybe it's just me. In any case, I missed. it.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
User avatar
Marty
Expatriate
Posts: 768
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:20 am
Reputation: 207
Canada

Re: Traffic Rules

Post by Marty » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:58 pm

fazur wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:13 am
Marty wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:28 am
They can charge you for a sex crime in the US. Thats as retarded as putting people in prison for weed.
we should let them roam around near children? :shock:
Sorry you are right I was under the influence when I posted. Ur right any weed addict shouldnt be near children because then that leads to the hard stuff.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Cooldude, General Mackevili, Joker Poker, lagrange, NormanChomsky, Patcan, Province, SINUS, whatwat and 298 guests