Free "Tnam Roleak Srom Khu Kbal" ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Free "Tnam Roleak Srom Khu Kbal" ?

Post by lostjeremy »

Grandma in Steung Meanchey wants to keep step daughter tomorrow because government doctors are giving all kids under 15 years old this "great hard to get drug for your brain" supposedly from a French NGO.
No one in her area can tell me the name of the medication in English.
Im trying to find out what it is so I can google it and figure it out.
All they can give me is the Khmer name for it which is tnam roleak srom khu kbal.
Anyone have an English name or information on what this is?
Last edited by lostjeremy on Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
asp
Expatriate

Re: Free

Post by asp »

As near as I can figure out it might nr a vaccine for meningitis. I know our kids had it before their 5th birthday. The drug must be refrigerated. But I caution you this Is a GUESS only, making a leap from Romanized Cambodian medical terminology is not my strong suit. I am certain a better native speaker wil jump all over this.
BawBawFett
Expatriate

Post by BawBawFett »

It could be for Japanese encephalitis. They've been vaccinating kids for this recently .
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Re: Free "Tnam Roleak Srom Khu Kbal" ?

Post by lostjeremy »

Thanks for the guesses. ..further than I got. The family just told me that whatever the drug is it is very hard to get. You cant get it from any pharmacy or hospital according to the information they received.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

asp wrote:As near as I can figure out it might nr a vaccine for meningitis. I know our kids had it before their 5th birthday. The drug must be refrigerated. But I caution you this Is a GUESS only, making a leap from Romanized Cambodian medical terminology is not my strong suit. I am certain a better native speaker wil jump all over this.
I think you might be right about the meningitis.
Meningitis is an inflammation of the meninge (the outer layer of the brain). 'Srom Khu Kbal' would be just that. :thumb:
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: RE: Re: Free

Post by prahkeitouj »

BawBawFett wrote:It could be for Japanese encephalitis. They've been vaccinating kids for this recently .
That's one! JE
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
asp
Expatriate

Post by asp »

It actually could be either according to the string of Romanized words LJ. I am fairly certain it is
one or the other. To add to UT's partial translation I think that "roleak" which usually means to burn or scald is best translated by inflammation as per UT's understanding.

Little salary it would be helpful to write the Cambodian script.

By the way LJ what province do the kids live in?
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Re: Free "Tnam Roleak Srom Khu Kbal" ?

Post by lostjeremy »

Great thanks for the help...I dont have khmer on my phone but ill post from the wifes phone later.
They arent in province. They are born and raised in PP - Steung Meanchey The wifes 14 year old sister is also getting the medication but her 16 year old sister waa told sorry too old.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Looks like it's for Japanese Encephalitis.

The vaccination for Meningitis is only for infants, but they are currently vaccinating against Japanese Encephalitis for children up to 15 years of age.
Health Ministry officials are organising vaccination drives throughout the country this month to encourage parents to get their children inoculated against Japanese Encephalitis.

According to Ork Vichit, an official with the National Immunisation Program, the vaccine is available for children from 9 months old to 15 years of age, and will become part of the country’s routine immunisation program after the campaign. The new push was financed with $2 million in donor funds and half a million from the government.
Continue reading . . . http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/j ... -under-way

:hattip:
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Its for Japanese encephalitis according to a khmer that I know. My missus has been very sick for a month, I now know that she has had groon bphooa wien- typhoid. Its endemic to the whole third world and is actually a salmonella. It can kill if you ignore the symptons and it becomes too late to treat it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic