Professional Dreadlocks Coming to Sihanoukville Beach

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Professional Dreadlocks Coming to Sihanoukville Beach

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

bkktrapper wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
General Mackevili wrote:I'll let Jamie do the score keeping on this one...
if everyones going to start walking around SHV looking like them pictures, the point will have to go to #TeamShitsville :lol: :dm:

i cant see many backpackers letting street kids loose on their hair to give them dreadlocks, and the kids already know how to braid hair i see them doing it all the time,
once shes taught them how to dreadlock hair, will the kids start working for her? or will all the money they receive from doing it go straight to their parents who make them work the beach in the first place? i dont see who is going to really benefit from this...

As a old friend of Thida i can say she is a good person.
i never doubted she was a good person, im just not sure of what her plan actually is to do?
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
THIDA
Tourist

Post by THIDA »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
bkktrapper wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
if everyones going to start walking around SHV looking like them pictures, the point will have to go to #TeamShitsville :lol: :dm:

i cant see many backpackers letting street kids loose on their hair to give them dreadlocks, and the kids already know how to braid hair i see them doing it all the time,
once shes taught them how to dreadlock hair, will the kids start working for her? or will all the money they receive from doing it go straight to their parents who make them work the beach in the first place? i dont see who is going to really benefit from this...

i never doubted she was a good person, im just not sure of what her plan actually is to do?
I introduced Thida to the board shes around soon i hope.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

THIDA wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
bkktrapper wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:

Thida added me on facebook and we been talking, her heart is in the right place, i hope she help them, ive offered to put her in contact with as many of the beach kids as she wants
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

THIDA wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
bkktrapper wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:

Hey Thida !

wow, you've got your own thread here (free advertising from CEO ;) thank you GM), so don't be shy to come on here and say hello and maybe tell us a bit more about your idea for the kids. Just because everybody doesn't like dreads doesn't mean we're hostile. I would even offer you my hair for the kids to practice on, but I'm not sure that would be a good advertisement for your work :? But maybe we can you offer ideas...
The main "problem" I have with your idea is that these children should not be working at all. Maybe you should be teaching their mothers so they can earn enough to feed the kids and send them to school ? In general, empowering women has a greater overall impact on society than jobs for kids. Just an idea.

And before you start anything at all, it could be a good idea to contact the people who are already working with beach/street kids in SNV. This association has a good name, but please correct me if I'm wrong CEO posters :http://mloptapang.org/
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Anchor Moy wrote: I would even offer you my hair for the kids to practice on,
Dreads don't really work well with a short back and sides. :popcorn:
bkktrapper
Expatriate

Post by bkktrapper »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
THIDA wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
bkktrapper wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:

Thida added me on facebook and we been talking, her heart is in the right place, i hope she help them, ive offered to put her in contact with as many of the beach kids as she wants
good shit.

Thida is a old school lakeside chiller.
ceiling cat is watching you masterbate
don reid
Tourist

Post by don reid »

while traveling around through northern thailand, a thai friend noticed that you can get dreads in Pai and he hadn't seen that before in his home town of Chiang Mai. for the rest of the trip, every time he'd see someone with dreads, he'd walk up and politely ask, "did you get those in Pai?"

still makes me smile thinking about his awkward conversations that ensued.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Anchor Moy wrote: The main "problem" I have with your idea is that these children should not be working at all.
Vocational training for Children? Seriously reconsider your idea, Thida. It's clear it comes from the right place, but this is not the right way to help street children.

Besides, would militant vegan social justice warrior hippies want to encourage child labour by having their dreads tended by street kids? I'd have thought they'd rail against the very idea.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Now he can come to Sihanoukville and get them for half the price. Tell your friend to spread the word, LoL!

:beer3:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

the proper street kids , as in the ones who don't sell stuff and dont have there parents within earshot , wont be interested in being taught to play with a barangs hair .for what?

they will nick your earrings or phone
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic