Should the upcoming Covid Vaccine be Mandatory for International Travel?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

Should the upcoming Covid Vaccine be Mandatory for International Travel?

Yes
57%
No
35%
Maybe
2%
I don't Know
6%

Total votes: 89
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Should the upcoming Covid Vaccine be Mandatory for International Travel?

Post by Dunderhead »

Think about what? You are determined to believe that getting legal immunity for a product BEFORE you develop the product is just AOK. Pleas take the vaccine ASAP.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Check out the international vaccine rollout tracker:

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Username Taken wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:46 am ^^^ Would you not prefer that the vaccine is trialed and tested over several years first rather than several months?
I think the main issue is whether the vaccine is dangerous and harmful to human health. Whether it actually works, especially given the new strain of the virus, is another issue.

The two vaccines I've looked into don't actually contain any of the virus itself, unlike most other vaccines. They only contain the spikes (crowns) of the virus, which are harmless on their own. But this is usually (hence the less than 100% success rate) enough to train your body to know what to look out for. This means that even if the vaccine turns out to be much less effective than anticipated, it at least shouldn't be a danger to human health, but of course there will always be the tiny percentage of people who do suffer a negative reaction to it.

My guess is that when the vaccines get approved, the main focus is whether they have the potential to cause more problems than the virus itself. So long as they pass this test, everything else is a 'fingers crossed' scenario.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Call me a witless fool, but I'm happy to place my confidence in our government's vaccine approval process if it means I'm able to return to my normal lifestyle of wandering the region. Yes, there may be an element of risk involved with the new vaccines but I'm prepared to take my chances as the last nine or ten months, although not completely horrid, have only reinforced to me my long term sanity is dependent on the ability to move.
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Dunderhead »

You had better learn to sail a yacht, even after you get vaxxed there is little likelihood that the restrictions on travel will be lifted. They have already stated openly that the vaccine offers no protection against infection just a lessening of symptoms and that masks and social distancing will remain.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Dunderhead wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:57 pm You had better learn to sail a yacht, even after you get vaxxed there is little likelihood that the restrictions on travel will be lifted. They have already stated openly that the vaccine offers no protection against infection just a lessening of symptoms and that masks and social distancing will remain.
That's a horrible picture you just painted of the future.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Dunderhead wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:57 pm You had better learn to sail a yacht, even after you get vaxxed there is little likelihood that the restrictions on travel will be lifted.
Has Australia revoked the travel exemption for individuals traveling overseas for longer than 3 months?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Someday soon every government, (specifically those in SE asia an ones reliant on tourism) will realize that if they ever want tourists to come back, they must do away with the 14 day quarantine

I figure by end of summer as vaccines roll out in each country covering at least 50% of the population.

still might need pre covid test thou
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

atst wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:03 pm
Dunderhead wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:57 pm You had better learn to sail a yacht, even after you get vaxxed there is little likelihood that the restrictions on travel will be lifted. They have already stated openly that the vaccine offers no protection against infection just a lessening of symptoms and that masks and social distancing will remain.
That's a horrible picture you just painted of the future.
It's probably a fair estimate of the next 9-12 months (er, not the yacht part). I can imagine countries only opening up "normal" travel once vaccinations have reached a high level (maybe 70-80% of the population) and only as bubbles with other countries which have achieved the same.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Dunderhead wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:57 pm They have already stated openly that the vaccine offers no protection against infection...
Source? Happy to stand corrected if you have evidence to back that assertion coz everything I've read so far is that they don't yet know the efficacy of existing vaccines in preventing transmission ie infecting other people. Otherwise, it's misinformation. Heck, they don't even know yet what the efficacy of existing vaccines are against the new mutated, more infectious strain of the Wuhan virus coz it came out after they did their testing on the original virus.

Only this morning I read more on this.. https://www.traveller.com.au/covid19-va ... nes-h1t8ct

Excerpt: "Although the COVID vaccines we have at the moment that have been distributed are showing good protection against the disease, we're not sure if the vaccine is preventing the spread of the virus" says Dr Adam Taylor, virologist at Griffith University. "Whether the vaccine prevents transmission is the important part when it comes to travel and the COVID passport. That data will likely become available in the coming months."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic