Refusal to grant hard title

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Refusal to grant hard title

Post by AndyKK »

Normal and logical does not necessarily apply to Cambodia. Nothing makes sense...And so on, it goes on and on in the land of Wonder. Question after one department to the next will have you running around all day with no answers, does your face fit, have you greased the palms of the pecking order, or does no one in authority genuinely know because someone never past on that of new policies/procedures or recorded information. I have found in the past many will not commit, they seem to not want responsibility, more so not being Khmer, basically I get the impression (sometimes language barrier) but mostly they have not got the time of day for you.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

Normally you find the top guy first and it goes simply.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Sorry your missus can't get a hard one for you NKOTB, I can only imagine how difficult and complicated it must be with the geographical divide.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

It all started with the idea of missus holding onto hard title so everyone wouldn’t be kicked off the land if problems ensue. But like all good ideas, it just gets messier and messier.

Anyways, the family lands used to be big and all under hard title. Then taken by the bank and broken into soft title. Various parts were bought by others. A friend of the family took pity and bought the family a piece to live on. This was decades ago.

My thought was to have any family requests for money come through us, instead of various members continuously mortgaging the land to the bank. They pay back whenever they can. Some months, nothing. Miss too many payments, and the bank take it back.

But all good intentions have been for naught. Accusations of looking down on them, to various members already asking for loans, to fights with the village chief, to rumors that missus is secretly planning to kick all of them out and sell to a developer.

Then of course, the revelation that one side of a road can get hard title, while the other side cannot.

Helping Khmers is messy and sometimes not worth the effort.

Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

in your previous post topic19089.html you said your wife already had hard title but it seems that this wasn't the case.

Soft title does not automatically infer the right to convert to hard title. if at the national level the land is designated as government land or falls within offsets for roads, rivers etc then you can never obtain hard title even though soft title was given.

If, as you said, hard title was possessed in the past it should still be possessed now and any sub division would have to be done and paid for (not cheap) at the national level. However given the story linked it looks unlikely that hard title was ever really held
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

AndyKK wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:35 pm Normal and logical does not necessarily apply to Cambodia. Nothing makes sense...And so on, it goes on and on in the land of Wonder. Question after one department to the next will have you running around all day with no answers, does your face fit, have you greased the palms of the pecking order, or does no one in authority genuinely know because someone never past on that of new policies/procedures or recorded information. I have found in the past many will not commit, they seem to not want responsibility, more so not being Khmer, basically I get the impression (sometimes language barrier) but mostly they have not got the time of day for you.
What a great answer..perfectly explained.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

newkidontheblock wrote:It all started with the idea of missus holding onto hard title so everyone wouldn’t be kicked off the land if problems ensue. But like all good ideas, it just gets messier and messier.

Anyways, the family lands used to be big and all under hard title. Then taken by the bank and broken into soft title. Various parts were bought by others. A friend of the family took pity and bought the family a piece to live on. This was decades ago.

My thought was to have any family requests for money come through us, instead of various members continuously mortgaging the land to the bank. They pay back whenever they can. Some months, nothing. Miss too many payments, and the bank take it back.

But all good intentions have been for naught. Accusations of looking down on them, to various members already asking for loans, to fights with the village chief, to rumors that missus is secretly planning to kick all of them out and sell to a developer.

Then of course, the revelation that one side of a road can get hard title, while the other side cannot.

Helping Khmers is messy and sometimes not worth the effort.
I don't understand. How exactly are you helping them?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:I don't understand. How exactly are you helping them?
I had the idiotic thought of trying to save them from themselves.

Father lost all the lands to the bank in the past. Subsequently the kids never got a good role model of how to be financially responsible. About half of them are very industrious and responsible. The other half are poster children for Explorer’s rants about Cambodians. They borrow money at the drop of hat. And don’t necessarily have thoughts about making payments.

Lots of Khmer have lost their land because they either missed payments or stopped bothering to pay altogether. I didn’t want that to happen.

If missus keeps the land there’s zero chance of others borrowing on it and thus losing the land.

Stupid idea. More trouble than it’s worth.
rubberbaron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by rubberbaron »

I think the family doesn't really know the real situation behind all this. Many Khmer have no idea of the machinations how things work. Explorer6 explained it clearly. If the bank repossessed it with a hard title in place that title remains valid. If they broke it down into smaller lots and 'sold'' those that was probably only a lease registered at the local level which your people mistakenly considered a soft title. A lot of ambiguity in that story.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Agree with several other posters that it seems unlikely that the original hard title could be broken into smaller plots without possession of the hard title.

You say this happened decades ago- are we talking pre-UNTAC? Pre Khmer Rouge?

It seems to figure this out you need to know the bank and determine what happened with the original title.

And re Sangkat chief: is your wife talking to them directly? Or is this what a family member is telling her? It could also be that someone in the family who’s against your plan has put the sangkat chief up to telling you this to stall your plan.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic