The Khmer way of love.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

The Khmer way of love.

Post by newkidontheblock »

The Khmer way of love.

Lying to your other half.
Or sugar coating the truth.

Missus keeps getting advice on how to have a good marriage. Don’t tell the other half anything that might be perceived as less than ideal. Related to anything. Spending, family issues, social issues, etc. Sugarcoat all, and avoid conflict.

The fear is the other half might perceive too many problems, and run away from it all.

Supposedly this is Khmer way of keeping love alive in a marriage.

Personally, I want to know everything, so any issues can be worked out, before it ever becomes a problem. The worst for me is pretending that the relationship is perfect when there is no such thing as a perfect relationship.

Anyone ever encounter this kind of advice?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: The Khmer way of love.

Post by Freightdog »

I've encountered most of those sentiments in dealing with much of Asia regarding anything. A tendency to answer in the positive despite all indications to the contrary. I've come to expect it to be the same in most situations, and getting at the truth, or more importantly, understanding the problem requires some careful thought.

In days gone by, in both aviation and engineering, it would be common to be told what you want to hear, rather than be told what you need to hear. Even at the risk of utter failure. It's seemingly embedded in many asian cultures.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:24 am The Khmer way of love.

Lying to your other half.
Or sugar coating the truth.

Missus keeps getting advice on how to have a good marriage. Don’t tell the other half anything that might be perceived as less than ideal. Related to anything. Spending, family issues, social issues, etc. Sugarcoat all, and avoid conflict.

The fear is the other half might perceive too many problems, and run away from it all.

Supposedly this is Khmer way of keeping love alive in a marriage.

Personally, I want to know everything, so any issues can be worked out, before it ever becomes a problem. The worst for me is pretending that the relationship is perfect when there is no such thing as a perfect relationship.

Anyone ever encounter this kind of advice?
That is the way it is for most Cambodians. There are a small proportion who are more straightforward.

If someone is like this, they are not likely to change much.

They don't understand how trust comes from being honest with each other.

It is beneficial if you don't get upset when they tell you about something bad. They learn, this person does not get upset, and are more likely to tell you the truth in the future.

You can also discuss this with your partner. Some people may learn from talking about it with them.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

In Western society, you date a potential partner, and find out all about them. Like what kind of food they like, what kind of things they like doing in their free time, etc. etc. etc.

When a person likes a good Cambodian girl (not a bar girl), they are supposed to decide if they want to marry them without such discussions. Then everything is done the Khmer way. Any other way is not an option.

Of course, if you date a girl like that, you need to have such discussions. You need to talk about things which may become an issue in the future. For example, one of the things I would talk about is how I want her to work. It wont be a case of I give her money and she takes. But she also earns money, and we save together. I would talk about being honest with each other, and the importance of trust. I would talk about food. There are some things these girls eat, I would never eat. She needs to know that. There are a lot of other things you need to discuss before entering a relationship with a Cambodian girl.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

NKOTB, You’re between a rock and a hard place now with your long distance marriage. Let’s face it, there’s not much you can do now being 7,000 miles away.
But, if you are with her, lead by example. Do as you want her to do and she might pick up some. Even though the culture passed on to us is deeply engraved inside, people can change their behavior if they want.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:17 am In Western society, you date a potential partner, and find out all about them. Like what kind of food they like, what kind of things they like doing in their free time, etc. etc. etc.

When a person likes a good Cambodian girl (not a bar girl), they are supposed to decide if they want to marry them without such discussions. Then everything is done the Khmer way. Any other way is not an option.

Of course, if you date a girl like that, you need to have such discussions. You need to talk about things which may become an issue in the future. For example, one of the things I would talk about is how I want her to work. It wont be a case of I give her money and she takes. But she also earns money, and we save together. I would talk about being honest with each other, and the importance of trust. I would talk about food. There are some things these girls eat, I would never eat. She needs to know that. There are a lot of other things you need to discuss before entering a relationship with a Cambodian girl.
Yes, you need to talk, but that’s not even half what’s needed. Besides talking, listen, and just as important: observe. People who have lived their live sugercoating and telling small lies for years, hiding their real feelings behind silence, won’t change overnight and in a lot of cases bodylanguage will tell you more than what she says.
Kohker
BANNED
Austria

Post by Kohker »

I can imagine the type of shite nkotbs wife's friends are telling her.
The old line you leave you lose,spring's to mind.
The only way to fix it is a meet up,very hard to do at their moment.
Meet half way maybe,Taiwan, hong Kong,anywhere, clear the air.
Good luck.
aggro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by aggro »

My wife doesn't take advice from village layabouts who spend their lives barefoot in pajamas swatting flies but are never short of life advice. That's why I married her.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Get what you can from your husband and if / when he has nothing to give fuck him of and go get another.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

aggro wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:49 pm My wife doesn't take advice from village layabouts who spend their lives barefoot in pajamas swatting flies but are never short of life advice. That's why I married her.
Tresure her well there are not many around of this type, friends can certainly have influential ways that we would call interference, if a girlfriend would listen to that of a friend over her partner or husband, the girl is not worth the troubles, she certainly only cares very little. But for many, and also myself in past years it had been more problematic, with the girls family.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic