Corona virus already been to Cambodia a few months earlier?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Corona virus already been to Cambodia a few months earlier?

Post by jah steu »

In early February I and many others here had a nasty illness which consisted of a medium fever plus a constant dry cough that persisted for two weeks. I spoke to many customers and friends who had experienced similar symptoms.
One night I was a bit short of breath with all the coughing so I went to a clinic who did an x-ray and listened to my chest sounds. They said it was ok but I should rest a lot etc.
Cambodia was getting thousands of Chinese arrivals in January and February. Corona first became news in China around November last year so it seems quite possible for Chinese visitors to be bringing it over a couple of months later. I just wonder...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Corona virus already been to Cambodia a few months earlier?

Post by j57 »

i agree..
i have been telling my wife if a country does not have test kits to test people...than, they can't say they have any cases.
If they just started testing people in the last 2 weeks...all the other cases prior were not diagnosed.
The 35C heat is helping in my opinion.
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

The definitive way to know would be to have a corona virus antibody test. But I wouldn’t think there would be any of those tests available here yet, with the focus very much being on primary testing for the actual virus.

Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

There is a similar discussion about Myanmar on the Facebook page Myanmar Covid 19. May be worth checking out to see what others are saying.

I had a nasty cold in mid- February, and I almost never get sick. But have no way to determine if it was related to Covid or just another cold virus.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

jah steu wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:57 pm In early February I and many others here had a nasty illness which consisted of a medium fever plus a constant dry cough that persisted for two weeks. I spoke to many customers and friends who had experienced similar symptoms.
One night I was a bit short of breath with all the coughing so I went to a clinic who did an x-ray and listened to my chest sounds. They said it was ok but I should rest a lot etc.
Cambodia was getting thousands of Chinese arrivals in January and February. Corona first became news in China around November last year so it seems quite possible for Chinese visitors to be bringing it over a couple of months later. I just wonder...

Same here, same time. It was definitely a nasty type of flu that I had . Started off with a tingling sore throat.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

Umm... I didn't realize that was even a question. Of course covid was in Cambodia months ago. How on earth would 10-15 flights per Day be coming from China into Siem Reap alone while China was blowing up with covid, and Cambodia not have it circulating? The government here isn't really into upsetting mother China, or just admitting to problems for that matter. So yeah, it's been here a while.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by 135 »

So let’s say the virus has been here for a while. Have death rates sky-rocketed? Are number just a little higher than normal? Are people dropping in the streets? I’m not saying I don’t think this whole situation isn’t a big deal but you’ve got to wonder about some of the hysteria.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

I was in Cambodia for five weeks over Dec-Jan. During that time my son got sick two times with throat problems and fever. I then got a strange type of flu thing where I was cold and shaking, I would then take paracetamol or ibuprofen and about half an hour later would have big sweats. Then I started to be hyperthermic, with the digital thermometer reading mid 34c range. I thought the thermometer was on the blink and took the wife's temperature and she was normal. Very strange, and I did wonder about the CV thing at the time, but inconclusive.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

135 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:29 am Have death rates sky-rocketed?
lots of funerals recently

but i believe there's absolutely no published evidence that anyone in cambodia has caught cv from chinese
i don't expect there ever will be

monstra mihi bona!
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

135 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:29 am So let’s say the virus has been here for a while. Have death rates sky-rocketed? Are number just a little higher than normal? Are people dropping in the streets? I’m not saying I don’t think this whole situation isn’t a big deal but you’ve got to wonder about some of the hysteria.
It's not a Hollywood movie, people just care about their old folks is all, and the situation is politically tense, complicated, and confusing, which is can be scary for some. A bit of hysteria is understandable for economic reasons alone, imo, not to mention watching many of our governments stumble around the issue making shows of their incompetence.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic