Corona virus already been to Cambodia a few months earlier?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Corona virus already been to Cambodia a few months earlier?

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Family and I had the same in January, consistent dry cough which lasted nearly 2 weeks, dont recall any other symptoms...just put it down to the dry season and all the dust.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

jah steu wrote:In early February I and many others here had a nasty illness which consisted of a medium fever plus a constant dry cough that persisted for two weeks. I spoke to many customers and friends who had experienced similar symptoms.
One night I was a bit short of breath with all the coughing so I went to a clinic who did an x-ray and listened to my chest sounds. They said it was ok but I should rest a lot etc.
Cambodia was getting thousands of Chinese arrivals in January and February. Corona first became news in China around November last year so it seems quite possible for Chinese visitors to be bringing it over a couple of months later. I just wonder...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had the exact thing you describe, around Chinese New Year. Was sick for about two weeks (persistent cough, sometimes dry, sometimes not), in bed for two-three days. Fever came and went for about four or five days. I had my suspicions it might have been covid, as there were cases in Vietnam and Thailand already, but told myself it was likely just the flu. I'd never had a flu that bad though. It was still a bit of a laughing matter back then, so I didn't get nasty looks or anything. I've mentioned to others as well that it might very well have arrived here prior to the "official" date.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Kammekor wrote:I don't think we should be too optimistic. If all around Cambodia 50 people would die each day of this virus, would it really been noticed? On a population of 16 million you;d have a regular amount of deaths of about 2,800 people per day. You might notice overcrowded ICU units, but since there are hardly any ICU units in Cambodia.....
Not necessarily. The median age is 25, and people here tend to take death oddly well. It's quite common for an older relative to drop dead overnight, and it's not like the healthcare is good by any means. Even doctors say people die of "wind". The source of ailments is often unknown or ignored, or they die of fairly benign things of which someone in the west could survive with for a long time.

I asked the lady, and apparently my illness was late January. Either way, there was definitely a flu bug going around already, but given the direct flights from Wuhan and elsewhere in China, it seems highly unlikely that we'd be on of the last countries in the region to get it. I found it suspicious from the beginning and put it down to lack of testing. It could very well be just the newest incarnation of the flu, but it also wouldn't surprise me one bit to learn it had been here since early to mid January.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

orussey98 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:07 am What you all say it's IMPOSSIBLE because chinese didn't import the virus with them in Cambodia.

ONLY westerners do !

French especially because Sam Rainsy lives there.

China => NICE

EU => BAD
How can the Chinese virus not come from China? :mrgreen:
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

jah steu wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:18 am I particularly remember my February ‘flu’ because it was unlike anything I’d had before. I didn’t have a runny nose or that ‘blocked up, muzzy’ feeling you get with most flus. It was just a never-ending dry cough, a medium fever and some chest pains. Plus fatigue.
As for the question did death rates spike a couple of months ago, it’s very hard to know. I think most people don’t bother to register deaths in the national database. The documentation is usually handled by the local songkat and the cremation happens within a couple of days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Me too, start of March, all the symptoms they list (dry cough, temperature, fatigue, chest pains - sometimes, sore throat - sometimes)

I assumed it was Covid but didn't go for a test and instead stayed at home for 2 weeks as I didn't fancy having to quarantine in the govt facilities
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

Same here. Was sick in January for maybe two weeks. Hardly ever been sick here...

My gf was sick prior to me and she meets allot of tourists. Let's hope we got lucky and it was Corona =)

My​ symptoms:
*Dry coughs
*Difficulty breathing when sleeping (woke up a few times)
*Slight increase in temperature
*Fatigue

SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Spoiler:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

At least it seems herd immunity is nearly reached on this forum...
Spoiler:
Anyone remembers the dry coughs during last year's dry season, or two years ago? :stir:
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

We had a similar thing in late December early Jan. Me, my wife, my daughter, my Mum and Dad, caught it all. 2 weeks, painful cough, runny nose, fever, dizziness. No idea if it was covid or not.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

My symptoms started New Year 's eve. I thought maybe I had Dengue and I got a blood test and tested positive for Dengue on the 6rh of January. I thought I'd let it run its course and waited until the 16th of January until I went to Royal Phnom Penh hospital. I told them about the positive response to the Dengue fever test and they tested me again for Dengue and I tested negative. However, I was diagnosed with bacterial pneumonia and given a ten day course of Augmentin which cleared everything up. My symptoms were exactly what everyone here are describing and are very close to Dengue fever symptoms. I really think I was misdiagnosed and most likely had the Covid virus.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic