Coffee cups in hotels

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Coffee cups in hotels

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Deefer wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:42 pm Toilet brush cleaning of coffee cups in a hotel :shock:

Deefer

ImageImage
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I have a little experience in hotels and I give housekeeping staff a tip as soon as I see them. Not only because they are badly paid for a shitty job, it also makes my stay much nicer...
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

It's not the size of the cup that matters, it is the strength of the coffee. Give me an espresso cup & a dinky little espresso machine every time over a mug and four fillings of Nescafe instant ...
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

Spigzy wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:35 pm It's not the size of the cup that matters, it is the strength of the coffee. Give me an espresso cup & a dinky little espresso machine every time over a mug and four fillings of Nescafe instant ...
No give me a 24 oz mug with espresso. That's how to roll
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Big and strong, just how I like my men too ;)
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Dinky little espresso cup that arrives inevitable lukewarm?

Give me a bucket of coffee that I can nurse for twenty minutes.
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by Satiated Parrot »

Hanno, do hotels change the linen for each guest? Does it differ according to hotel rating?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Satiated Parrot wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:46 pm Hanno, do hotels change the linen for each guest? Does it differ according to hotel rating?
Linen, yes. Bead spreads, no. Well, not all hotels.
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

this American buys coffee beans from all over the Western Hemisphere in 5lb. bags...packs his grinder and french press and makes superb coffee no matter where the fuck he is...just brought 10lbs. Colombian Supremo dark roast to Siem Reap 2 weeks ago.
24 hour gas stations in the middle of the USA now have better coffee than anywhere in Asia.
instant coffee is for the helpless..
The small cup and saucer tango sucks..
That is why I brought my Donald Trump mug to enjoy my fresh brew from.
Winning...
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

On the subject of hotels...

Post by Freightdog »

Over far too many years of spending time in a broad cross section of hotels, I notice some similarities in some of the things that go on.
I like to think of it as Hotel Humour.

(In no particular order)

After housekeeping have been in
The shower may be set to full cold, but more often than not, full on, skin searingly scalding hot.
The shower head has been set at a position that is likely to get you drenched without stepping into the shower.
The caps on the small portion sized shampoo bottles often require pipe grips or a tight bite to undo.
The bar of soap gets replaced, even if you’re the same room occupant for two months. Anathema to me, and ironic when you have labels talking about preserving resources by reusing towels, etc.
Towels, despite being hung as per the preserving resources instructions, get replaced anyway.

In a particular hotel that my company uses, it seems to be policy to place the bathroom trash bin partway in the door way. Consequently, every single bin in the hotel has a broken pedal mechanism from being smacked by a closing door.

Door check mechanisms often set to resist any effort to close the door, until, in the last 10° before closing, enough force is applied so as to slam the door hard enough to wake all the neighbours.
Door keycards expire 1 hour before you normally check out. We’ve been using this same hotel, with the same check in/out schedule for 3 years. 2 crew every day for 5 days, 52 weeks per year. We leave at 5pm. The door cards is always set to expire at 4!

DO NOT DISTURB signs are an invitation for housekeeping to aggressively clean all the adjacent rooms above, below and next door, to ensure your much needed rest is taken in a different country, later.
That same sign seems to be an invitation for someone to come in, and turn the bloody lights on. A polite ‘please piss off’ is rarely received graciously.

There’s two cups, one tea bag.
The kettle is too big to fill from the bathroom tap.

At check in, after a long night, when all you want to do is go to bed, they apologise profusely and tell you the room won’t be ready for another hour.

Despite leaving a Do Not Disturb sign on the door, housekeeping went in and cleaned while you were out. They’ve managed to make the bed without disturbing yesterday’s discarded clothing which was carelessly left scattered on the bed. But the big spread of partly completed paperwork from yesterday’s trip has been tidied into a pile.

The only spare sockets in the room are behind the TV desk which weighs about a ton.

Despite wanting to preserve resources, every light/lamp has been turned on. Many of these lamps don’t appear to have a switch in the same room, let alone near the bed.

Very heavy blackout curtains that could stop the light from the sun, if only they met in the middle.

Former Soviet block especially.
Winter=heating on full blast
Summer follows winter=Heating off.
Winter and summer are defined by set dates on a calendar, and bear no relation to the outside weather conditions.

Night time room service that finishes at 9pm.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic