Is the Coronavirus Fueling Anti-Chinese Sentiment ?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Is the Coronavirus Fueling Anti-Chinese Sentiment ?

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

In the UK, British-Chinese say there is increasing hostility from the general population, generated by fear of the coronavirus from Wuhan.

Coronavirus fears fuel racism and hostility, say British-Chinese
Chinese people resident in Britain report strained friendships and a shift in attitudes
Nosheen Iqbal
Sat 1 Feb 2020 23.56 GMT

Dr Zhou* had just arrived at Gatwick airport last week when a British couple physically recoiled as she entered a lift. “The woman looked at me, quickly turned to her husband and told him ‘they should wear their masks’,” she said. “They assumed I didn’t understand English, that I was ‘fresh off the boat’ and that I probably had coronavirus.” Humiliated, Zhou – a scientist who was travelling from London to Slovenia – stood in uncomfortable silence.

“I give people the benefit of doubt because they’re scared, but why can’t they give me the benefit of doubt? Fear is no reason to be racist. Statistically, as a British citizen who hasn’t been to China in two years, I have the same risk level as a white person.”

Coronavirus has spread to at least 16 countries including Japan, Thailand, Australia, France, the US and the UK. Hostility and racism directed by some people towards east Asians seems to be spreading faster still.

Jess Kerntiff, who works in PR, said she was stunned when a friend sent her a viral Instagram post of “bat soup” falsely purporting to be a Chinese dish while making bogus claims that Chinese culture is to blame for coronavirus. “She kept asking me if I’d eaten it, what was the weirdest thing I’d eaten and so on. When I said, ‘I don’t know, crab or something’, she kept asking me what weird things people eat in Malaysia, which is where my family are from.”

Kerntiff said she couldn’t quite articulate at the time why it was upsetting. “It bothered me though, she’s a really good friend and I explained to her after a couple of days and then she got it, but posts like that deliberately dehumanise Chinese people. I don’t know if I’m being paranoid but there doesn’t seem to be much sympathy for people who have lost their lives and are going through this trauma, the narrative is as if it’s deserved. There is no compassion.”
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... nly-racist
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Is the Coronavirus Fueling Anti-Chinese Sentiment ?

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Michelle Phan says she's been targeted with racism amid Wuhan coronavirus scare: 'Why are some of you telling me to go back to eating bats? I'm American you ignorant f---s'

Beauty YouTuber Michelle Phan tweeted on Friday about racist comments she was getting in the midst of the Coronavirus scare.

Phan was born in Boston, Massachusetts, grew up in Tampa, Florida, and her parents were both Vietnamese refugees. The coronavirus, on the other hand, originated in Wuhan, China.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/mich ... ets-2020-2
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Of course it is. When a nation regularly is at the centre, i.e. creates, new virus' and send the world into a panic, is anyone remotely surprised when people get sick (sic) of them?

What do they want, sympathy? If they were more pleasant, with less, shouting, spitting, chain smoking, pushing into the queue and [add your own gripe here] people might be a bit more tolerant. But they aren't, so people aren't. Tough titty…

p.s.. the above trolling of the Michelle Phan girl is a bit pathetic as she is off Vietnamese origin. That must really piss her off as the Vietnamese already dislike the Chinese without any new virus'.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

From another topic
Kinetic wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:38 pm I see more and more chinese bashing on the french social networks. "Die all with your f****** virus!!", "When you see what they eat, it's normal they get these kind of virus", etc... people get loose and talk without restraint. They share videos of chinese market, video of the bat soup and other videos. But here in France we only have 3 confirmed cases and 0 death.

In France the Journal Picard made his first page "Yellow alert" and inside an editorial titled "Yellow peril".
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:43 am Of course it is. When a nation regularly is at the centre, i.e. creates, new virus' and send the world into a panic, is anyone remotely surprised when people get sick (sic) of them?
Swine flu, bird flu, SARs et al and now this... There's a lot of people in China hence it might be logical for these viruses to originate there. However, isn't it also a factor that their hygiene standards associated with livestock farming and food preparation (eg think the gutter oil video) are often less than desired in the pursuit of $$$ at all costs?

Another recent example: Chinese criminal gangs spreading African swine fever to force farmers to sell pigs cheaply so they can profit
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/politic ... ever-force
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Rumour has it that Trump secretly set off the infection in China by the CIA at CNY to take the focus away from the nothing agreement on tariffs just made and to steer the press away from impeachment reporting. He is trying to cause further economic issues in China as he knew it would effect trade and travel and everyone would pick on Chinese people.

Bloody smart bloke this Trump .
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Arget wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:01 pm Rumour has it that Trump secretly set off the infection in China by the CIA at CNY to take the focus away from the nothing agreement on tariffs just made and to steer the press away from impeachment reporting. He is trying to cause further economic issues in China as he knew it would effect trade and travel and everyone would pick on Chinese people.

ImageImage
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Arget wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:01 pm Rumour has it that Trump secretly set off the infection in China by the CIA at CNY to take the focus away from the nothing agreement on tariffs just made and to steer the press away from impeachment reporting. He is trying to cause further economic issues in China as he knew it would effect trade and travel and everyone would pick on Chinese people.

noun: rumour
a currently circulating story or report of uncertain or doubtful truth.

Rumour has it that Trumpist believe Trump's farts smell like fine wine and stand in line for hours just to get a sniff. I don t believe in rumours but I did see an artist rendering of an actual event.

Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:27 am
Doc67 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:43 am Of course it is. When a nation regularly is at the centre, i.e. creates, new virus' and send the world into a panic, is anyone remotely surprised when people get sick (sic) of them?
Swine flu, bird flu, SARs et al and now this... There's a lot of people in China hence it might be logical for these viruses to originate there. However, isn't it also a factor that their hygiene standards associated with livestock farming and food preparation (eg think the gutter oil video) are often less than desired in the pursuit of $$$ at all costs?

Another recent example: Chinese criminal gangs spreading African swine fever to force farmers to sell pigs cheaply so they can profit
Excellent additions for the [add your own gripe here] section.

Shall we start a new thread entitled, "101 Reasons Why The Chinese Are Disgusting"?

(is 101 enough?)
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:59 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:27 am

Excellent additions for the [add your own gripe here] section.

Shall we start a new thread entitled, "101 Reasons Why The Chinese Are Disgusting"?

(is 101 enough?)
That (bolded) was not the motive in my post and sorry if it read that way. :beer3:

I was attempting to address the topic and the reasons I thought for why people are feeling that way and have that sentiment. There's quite a history there contributing to that sentiment which I think is relevant imo.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic