Is the Coronavirus Fueling Anti-Chinese Sentiment ?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Is the Coronavirus Fueling Anti-Chinese Sentiment ?

Post by hanno »

hunter8 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:03 pm
hanno wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:20 am Here in Vietnam, anti-foreigner sentiment has become rife.
What are the signs?
Refusal of service (even if that is now punishable), lots of really nasty comments on social media and, from personal experience, people crossing the streets when they see me.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Maybe it's the fear and resentment that people have no control over a virus affecting them and their way of life , security and are now looking at where it all started, China , on top of the way Chinese have been buying up their country the way they act when abroad, I don't blame them
Whether it right or wrong is debatable
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

hanno wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:36 pm
hanno wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:20 am Here in Vietnam, anti-foreigner sentiment has become rife.
What are the signs?
Refusal of service (even if that is now punishable), lots of really nasty comments on social media and, from personal experience, people crossing the streets when they see me.
Hmm... this is going to be a good litmus test for which countries treat foreigners best to live and spend money in the future when this hysteria is over. And it will be over as soon as assets and companies will have been acquired cheaply by the orchestrators of this media hysteria.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

hunter8 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:53 pm
What are the signs?
Hmm... this is going to be a good litmus test for which countries treat foreigners best to live and spend money in the future when this hysteria is over. And it will be over as soon as assets and companies will have been acquired cheaply by the orchestrators of this media hysteria.
I think this is not a litmus test at all. People are plain scared and yes, maybe a crisis like this just brings out what was latent in the first place . Can’t think of a country that is not racist deep down.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

hunter8 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:53 pm
What are the signs?

Hysteria? Orchestrators of the media hysteria? Asset acquisition on the cheap? That will end it all?

You sound like the conspiracy theorists I have been bored to death with as soon as I could overhear and understand people back in the UK. I wish I didn't speak English. Everyone's got a theory and they are all bullshit. "Goldman Sachs are behind it all" "US planted a bio weapon in Wuhan to whip up anti Chinese sentiment" and so on...

Fucking boring idiots reading crap on the internet and then by idiotic metamorphosis it suddenly becomes the unarguable 100% truth. Brain dead morons.

If you want a snippet of truth, watch this video of inside the main hospital in Bergamo, Italy. Note well all the equipment they have just to keep people alive - just.

This virus causes, in some cases, is an extremely serious pneumonia and without all that equipment people just die very quickly. It's oxygen first, and after that it's the full service (if available) and then you either walk out or get carried out, there's nothing in between.

This virus just bounces off most people but 1 in 5, or even 1 in 10 to be less hysterical, get it bad and those numbers get very large very quickly. Take away the amount of equipment available and you end up with a big negative number. Do those maths.

This is why countries all round the world are locking down now, before a major outbreak, because they know no health system can cope and people who could be saved can't be saved by virtue of a lack of medical capacity.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavi ... BB10PIWT|4

p.s. There's precious little of this equipment and skill in Cambodia and what little there is will not be available to you matey. It will be for the ruling elite who can't do their usual trick and bugger off to Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur or Singapore for treatment because of border closures. They are going to have to suck up their own crappy system like the rest of their fellow citizens.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Please keep getting truth from msm, up to you.
katz
Tourist

Post by katz »

Pretty much all of Asia is a non politically correct land. Xenophobia and racism is the norm not the exception in pretty much all Asian countries. Corona virus is just another excuse for more of the same. Looking at this from politically correct western eyes is just silly. It is looking for a problem where there non exists. In Cambodia the Chinese have gained not the greatest reputation through their own behavior and actions. People need to get a life and stop trying to analyze possible racism in Asia. Yes it is there live and well but it is Ok...It goes with the turf.

katz
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Chinese woman being tactful and diplomatic...

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30384494
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Don't be fooled, coronavirus fears affect everyone: In South East Asia, with the reported increases in the number of western tourists infected by the coronavirus, local people may want to keep YOU at a distance.

As if we were the disease': coronavirus brings prejudice for Italy's Chinese workers
Xenophobia and job losses prompt textile industry staff in Tuscany to consider returning to China
Luca Muzi
Wed 25 Mar 2020 07.00 GMT
At the beginning of February, Ilaria Santi, a councillor in the Italian city of Prato, in Tuscany, visited the canteen of an elementary school. A Chinese girl asked her: “Aren’t you afraid of eating next to me?”

“I replied: ‘Why should I be afraid?’ and she said: ‘Afraid that I infect you with the coronavirus.’” I replied that the virus was unfortunately in the minds of too many people,” said Santi.

“Another Chinese boy asked: ‘So can I sit here too?’ and I said: ‘Yes’.”

It was a revealing conversation in this region with a large Chinese population, in a country in lockdown over coronavirus.

“In the past few weeks, we have seen Chinese children at school [being] called ‘Cinavirus’, [as well as] verbal confrontations between classmates and physical attacks [on pupils],” said Davide Finizio, secretary of the buddhist Pu Hua Si temple, a hub for the Chinese community in Prato.

Finizio is monitoring cases of discrimination, and is attempting to counter prejudice by encouraging Chinese people to donate face masks and sanitiser to Italian hospitals.

“I know of people who have decided to go back to China, where they feel safer,” he said.

Some have already left, others have bought plane tickets home.

The past few weeks have brought numerous reports of xenophobia in northern Italy, which is home to more than 50% of Italy’s Chinese population. Last month Qian Zhang, 26, who owns a bar with his wife near Bassano del Grappa, told Il Giornale di Vicenza that he was attacked with a bottle and told he was not allowed to enter a petrol station because: “You’re Chinese, you have coronavirus.”

https://www.theguardian.com/global-deve ... se-workers
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
bong.kuit
Expatriate

Post by bong.kuit »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic