Win an iPhone...from the government

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
User avatar
lostjeremy
Expatriate
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:00 pm
Reputation: 161

Win an iPhone...from the government

Post by lostjeremy » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:29 pm

Report road issues like pot holes on the new app....chance to win an iPhone. Wonder if MWT will actually fix the broken roads or just decided to make an app as a toy to play with and look like they are doing something.

http://phnompenhtech.com/tech/7481/






Warning: the app requires a lot of phone permissions to download that I don't necessarily feel comfortable allowing
Last edited by lostjeremy on Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DaveG
Expatriate
Posts: 1261
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 2:45 am
Reputation: 886
Cambodia

Re: Win an iPhone...from the government

Post by DaveG » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:17 pm

lostjeremy wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:29 pm
Report road issues like pot holes on the new app....chance to win an iPhone. Wonder if MWT will actually fix the broken roads or just decided to make an app as a toy to play with and look like they are doing something.

http://phnompenhtech.com/tech/7481/






Warning: the app requires a lot of phone permissions to download that I don't necessarily feel comfortable allowing
People will now be digging new holes in the hope they will win a new iPhone :D
User avatar
clutchcargo
Expatriate
Posts: 4416
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:09 pm
Reputation: 2677
Cambodia

Re: Win an iPhone...from the government

Post by clutchcargo » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:37 pm

DaveG wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:17 pm
lostjeremy wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:29 pm
Report road issues like pot holes on the new app....chance to win an iPhone. Wonder if MWT will actually fix the broken roads or just decided to make an app as a toy to play with and look like they are doing something.

http://phnompenhtech.com/tech/7481/






Warning: the app requires a lot of phone permissions to download that I don't necessarily feel comfortable allowing
People will now be digging new holes in the hope they will win a new iPhone :D
Yes beware the Cobra Effect...

From Wikipedia:

The term cobra effect originated in an anecdote, set at the time of British rule of colonial India. The British government was concerned about the number of venomous cobra snakes in Delhi. The government therefore offered a bounty for every dead cobra. Initially this was a successful strategy as large numbers of snakes were killed for the reward. Eventually, however, enterprising people began to breed cobras for the income. When the government became aware of this, the reward program was scrapped, causing the cobra breeders to set the now-worthless snakes free. As a result, the wild cobra population further increased.

A similar incident occurred in Hanoi, Vietnam, under French colonial rule. In 1902, the colonial government created a bounty program that paid a reward for each rat killed. To collect the bounty, people would need to provide the severed tail of a rat. Colonial officials, however, began noticing rats in Hanoi with no tails. The Vietnamese rat catchers would capture rats, sever their tails, and then release them back into the sewers so that they could procreate and produce more rats, thereby increasing the rat catchers' revenue.
User avatar
Doc67
Expatriate
Posts: 2921
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:16 am
Reputation: 2354
Location: PHNOM PENH !!!!!
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Win an iPhone...from the government

Post by Doc67 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:06 pm

clutchcargo wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:37 pm
DaveG wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:17 pm
lostjeremy wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:29 pm
Report road issues like pot holes on the new app....chance to win an iPhone. Wonder if MWT will actually fix the broken roads or just decided to make an app as a toy to play with and look like they are doing something.

http://phnompenhtech.com/tech/7481/






Warning: the app requires a lot of phone permissions to download that I don't necessarily feel comfortable allowing
People will now be digging new holes in the hope they will win a new iPhone :D
Yes beware the Cobra Effect...

From Wikipedia:

The term cobra effect originated in an anecdote, set at the time of British rule of colonial India. The British government was concerned about the number of venomous cobra snakes in Delhi. The government therefore offered a bounty for every dead cobra. Initially this was a successful strategy as large numbers of snakes were killed for the reward. Eventually, however, enterprising people began to breed cobras for the income. When the government became aware of this, the reward program was scrapped, causing the cobra breeders to set the now-worthless snakes free. As a result, the wild cobra population further increased.

A similar incident occurred in Hanoi, Vietnam, under French colonial rule. In 1902, the colonial government created a bounty program that paid a reward for each rat killed. To collect the bounty, people would need to provide the severed tail of a rat. Colonial officials, however, began noticing rats in Hanoi with no tails. The Vietnamese rat catchers would capture rats, sever their tails, and then release them back into the sewers so that they could procreate and produce more rats, thereby increasing the rat catchers' revenue.
I do enjoy unintended consequences from government schemes. Sadly many are buried or covered up when they realise it's all going badly wrong but before the public get wind of the debacle...
User avatar
clutchcargo
Expatriate
Posts: 4416
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:09 pm
Reputation: 2677
Cambodia

Re: Win an iPhone...from the government

Post by clutchcargo » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:11 pm

^^^^^^^^^^
Here's another classic one from 3 yrs ago. $1.50 per live rat in a country where people live on less than $2 a day https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016 ... -live-rats
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: angsta, Chad Sexington, Deefer, phil, SEAdude, SINUS and 289 guests