Teachers’ extra earnings

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Teachers’ extra earnings

Post by taabarang »

You must be referring to private school salaries BKL. My sis in law earns $250 per month for both the morning and afternoon classes as explained in a previous post.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Negative. High school salary in the city is currently around that. Might be lower in the countryside for obvious reasons (much lower of cost living). I'm not 100% sure (could check), but I think primary school teachers now make exactly the same as grade 7-12 teachers.

Keep in mind that there's a big reform going on at the moment. The vast majority of teachers in the countryside don't have a degree. Up to grade 9, they typically just go to a teacher training college in Phnom Penh and do a two year course after high school. They focus on the subject they'll be teaching, as well as teaching methodology and so on. They then go on to teach grades 1-9. Teachers grade 10-12 need a degree. There probably is a pay difference between grade 7 teachers with no degree and grade 12 teachers with a degree. However, pretty soon teachers teaching grades 7 onwards (maybe even primary school, can't remember) will be required to have a full university degree. Teacher trainers will need a masters (currently only need an undergraduate degree+training), and so on. This is all happening as we speak, so a lot of changes in requirements, pay, etc.

The students from the new NGS system (New Generation School) are pretty clued in. A lot of bright kids coming out of public schools now, it's not a bad. Sisowath was the first school to implement the new curriculum. The teachers who teach NGS have a different outfit (green skirts I think). Things are definitely improving, it's just slow and underfunded (but that's generally true of education worldwide). Teachers put up with the low salary because of the flexibility it allows: they can teach extra classes, or work part time at a private school to compensate. Take that away without a significant increase in pay, and they wouldn't be able to attract anyone.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

World Teacher's Day is coming up... But no marching; and it may be celebrated from 8-11am. Lol. Can feel that enthusiasm from the Cambodian authorities.

September 25, 2019
City Hall prohibits planned teacher march
Phnom Penh City Hall has forbidden the Cambodian Independent Teachers’ Association to march on World Teachers’ Day next week, only allowing participants to gather at Freedom Park and send representatives to file a petition of their demands to the government.

Deputy Governor Mean Chanyada yesterday said that City Hall officials have met with CITA representatives to discuss about celebrations for World Teachers’ Day that will fall on October 5.

“ City Hall has agreed to allow CITA to celebrate Teachers’ Day at Freedom Park from 8am until 11am,” Mr Chanyada said.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50646072/c ... her-march/
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

:smartass: :smartass:
Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:21 pm World Teacher's Day is coming up... But no marching; and it may be celebrated from 8-11am. Lol. Can feel that enthusiasm from the Cambodian authorities.

September 25, 2019
City Hall prohibits planned teacher march
Phnom Penh City Hall has forbidden the Cambodian Independent Teachers’ Association to march on World Teachers’ Day next week, only allowing participants to gather at Freedom Park and send representatives to file a petition of their demands to the government.

Deputy Governor Mean Chanyada yesterday said that City Hall officials have met with CITA representatives to discuss about celebrations for World Teachers’ Day that will fall on October 5.

“ City Hall has agreed to allow CITA to celebrate Teachers’ Day at Freedom Park from 8am until 11am,” Mr Chanyada said.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50646072/c ... her-march/
I know for a fact that local rural teachers are too intimidated to participate in the union or any related activities.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:56 am Negative. High school salary in the city is currently around that. Might be lower in the countryside for obvious reasons (much lower of cost living). I'm not 100% sure (could check), but I think primary school teachers now make exactly the same as grade 7-12 teachers.

Keep in mind that there's a big reform going on at the moment. The vast majority of teachers in the countryside don't have a degree. Up to grade 9, they typically just go to a teacher training college in Phnom Penh and do a two year course after high school. They focus on the subject they'll be teaching, as well as teaching methodology and so on. They then go on to teach grades 1-9. Teachers grade 10-12 need a degree. There probably is a pay difference between grade 7 teachers with no degree and grade 12 teachers with a degree. However, pretty soon teachers teaching grades 7 onwards (maybe even primary school, can't remember) will be required to have a full university degree. Teacher trainers will need a masters (currently only need an undergraduate degree+training), and so on. This is all happening as we speak, so a lot of changes in requirements, pay, etc.

The students from the new NGS system (New Generation School) are pretty clued in. A lot of bright kids coming out of public schools now, it's not a bad. Sisowath was the first school to implement the new curriculum. The teachers who teach NGS have a different outfit (green skirts I think). Things are definitely improving, it's just slow and underfunded (but that's generally true of education worldwide). Teachers put up with the low salary because of the flexibility it allows: they can teach extra classes, or work part time at a private school to compensate. Take that away without a significant increase in pay, and they wouldn't be able to attract anyone.
I will address your post when I have sufficient free time.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"Keep in mind that there's a big reform going on at the moment."

Please keep in mind that there is a big election coming up.

Cambodge, plus ça change....

I'll reply more throughly once I can meet sis-in-law.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

taabarang wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:28 pm
Sure, it's coming up in 2023.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:50 pm
So you feel that any reform suggestions now are irrelevant to that election?
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:47 pm
Jcml19 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:43 pm Btw... How much are khmer teaches paid on a monthly basis?? I hope more than the minimum wage factory workers get at $190 a month.... :chin:
From memory, my niece gets about $250pm now. Much better than it used to be. But she has about 70 students in her classes. She says they make a lot of noise and she is tiny with a small voice, so not sure how much anyone learns. :facepalm:
70 Students - OMG - How old are the students BTW - I can imagine the noise? Crikey I find it hard with 2 kids running riot nightly at home. 70 she must be one hell of a brave teacher.

$250, although good compared to a factory lady is a shame on the government for her skills and learning - around 4$ per student. Is that how much the future generation is worth?

The prospects for advancement are not good in this industry so she has my admiration for her dedication.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:50 pm
Who is the winner? LOL
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic