Olympia Mall

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Olympia Mall

Post by beaker »

"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Cinnamoncat »

Given all of the horror stories recently about various architectural structures collapsing (and the fire!), I would be wary about trips to this mall. History has a tendency to repeat itself, doesn't it?
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Cinnamoncat wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:10 pm Given all of the horror stories recently about various architectural structures collapsing (and the fire!), I would be wary about trips to this mall. History has a tendency to repeat itself, doesn't it?
Well to be fair there have been very few structural collapses here, other than that building in Sihanoukville recently and the odd jerry-built balcony. The smoke was from a car parked in the underground basement that had some electrical problems and burst into flames, but did perhaps bring to light the poor planning as far as sprinklers/ channeling smoke go. I do find the proliferation of high buildings concerning as far as fire goes, the Fire Police have not got adequate equipment to deal with any fire over a few storeys and the buildings often lack fire-doors, extinguishers, sprinklers, fire-hoses and fire exits? I don't want to see another Grenfell. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Cinnamoncat »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:30 pm
Cinnamoncat wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:10 pm Given all of the horror stories recently about various architectural structures collapsing (and the fire!), I would be wary about trips to this mall. History has a tendency to repeat itself, doesn't it?
Well to be fair there have been very few structural collapses here, other than that building in Sihanoukville recently and the odd jerry-built balcony. The smoke was from a car parked in the underground basement that had some electrical problems and burst into flames, but did perhaps bring to light the poor planning as far as sprinklers/ channeling smoke go. I do find the proliferation of high buildings concerning as far as fire goes, the Fire Police have not got adequate equipment to deal with any fire over a few storeys and the buildings often lack fire-doors, extinguishers, sprinklers, fire-hoses and fire exits? I don't want to see another Grenfell. :?
Fair enough. Strike the words "all of" from my first sentence!
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Video of fire in this thread.
newsworthy/topic31008.html
A lot of smoke, but doesn't look too bad.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:48 pm A lot of smoke, but doesn't look too bad.
I know what you mean, but a lot of smoke could suffocate or poison a whole lot of people in a confined space. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:56 pm
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:48 pm A lot of smoke, but doesn't look too bad.
I know what you mean, but a lot of smoke could suffocate or poison a whole lot of people in a confined space. :?
As far as i am aware smoke kills more people than the actual fire. So,yes, you would be correct to be concerned about the effects of smoke in a busy mall.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

In Cambodia physics are special and smoke will not go up, buildings and sprinkler systems have been designed and approved accordingly so please move on. Nothing to see here.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:56 pm

I was across the road at the time of the fire, and that smoke was choking and toxic fumes from plastic or something took my breath away.
Dont know how those closer to the fire managed with '' dust masks '' that are not designed to filter out fumes . Maybe they were '' smokers '' and can handle contaminates going into their lungs.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Went to Olympia Mall yesterday. To say it was quiet would be a polite way of putting it.
Some food outlets were closed.
Lucky's is now open and well stocked.

Posters said it is aimed at the Khmer market but it looks more aimed at the Chinese.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic