I don’t like to teach. I’m only here for the money.

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: I don’t like to teach. I’m only here for the money.

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:42 pm

newkidontheblock wrote:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Was it an exam or a quiz?
Exam. Standards have changed. Or maybe just that particular teacher in question. 4 part exam. 2 parts on one day. Reading and listening exams will be on Wednesday.

ACE is one of the higher respected schools in Phnom Penh.

She has no desire to go to Northbridge or ISPP, unfortunately. Too far to commute and too much money to spend.

Level 9a next.
As mentioned earlier, if you're both dissatisfied with the teachers or school, you should just go elsewhere. Doesn't matter what "reputation" a school supposedly has. Find a place she likes: where she bonds with classmates and likes the teachers. Try Panasastra, Home of English, Aii, ECS/ICS (can't remember the acronym)... Point is, there are tons of schools all over. You can barely walk 500m without being exposed to one of them on a t-shirt, poster, school uniform etc. Shouldn't be hard to find a decent school not too far from home. Just a note though: I'm not a teacher, so not sure which are the "best", but I do know that ISPP and Northbridge are international schools (1-12), not English language schools.

As mentioned, my girlfriend went to ACE for three terms or so after I met her (she was already studying there prior to meeting me, so I had nothing to do with choosing it). While I remember her complaining about a teacher one term that was disorganized (always going out to get papers or make photocopies and so on), for the most part she seemed content. She also praised previous teachers she had studied with. She was a grown woman paying out of her own pocket, so I know she had fairly high expectations. I think we can a remember liking and disliking teachers at some point of our lives, so I didn't think too much of it.

Either way, if she/we'd gotten the grief you guys appear to be getting, she/we would have swapped schools in a heartbeat. I get the feeling that Gavin is right. All you've done is complained the whole time that your perfect girl hasn't gotten perfection. Just swap schools and spare us a bit. It's like saying the food is unpalatable at X restaurant, but you keep going just because it has good reviews on TripAdvisor... Or Z mechanic is horrible and causes problems to your car, but you keep going to the same one again and again. Weird.

Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
andy_morris
Expatriate

Post by andy_morris » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:04 am

Get her a tutor. Pm me if you'd like me to recommend some very competent ones. But be warned they are handsome young men. The female students do respond very well to that....
Mr-Retardo
BANNED

Post by Mr-Retardo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:15 pm

would someone do any other job for free? seems unlikely, so why the big deal about teachers wanting to earn some cash?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic