I don’t like to teach. I’m only here for the money.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: I don’t like to teach. I’m only here for the money.

Post by frank lee bent »

why not change schools if the service is not good?
RogueAnt
Expatriate
French Polynesia

Post by RogueAnt »

I had a quick look at glassdoor for reviews from teachers and it's not good. 1.7 average out of 5.

Had to laugh at this comment:

The school devalues people to such an extreme that they do not allow their teachers to have their own desks. Instead, employees are given half lockers to store all of their teaching material (made by teachers in their own free time) – material that is often times pilfered without permission to inject into profit for the company’s elite higher-ups.

This idea they call 'hot desks'.

The idea comes from migrant workers who have to share beds by sleeping and working in shifts, so the bed is always 'hot'. The majority of the profit is funneled into the country directors pocket who vulgarly displays his exceptional wealth to all.
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Austr ... 490967.htm

Shame, shame, shame!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Was it an exam or a quiz?
Exam. Standards have changed. Or maybe just that particular teacher in question. 4 part exam. 2 parts on one day. Reading and listening exams will be on Wednesday.

ACE is one of the higher respected schools in Phnom Penh.

She has no desire to go to Northbridge or ISPP, unfortunately. Too far to commute and too much money to spend.

Level 9a next.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:16 am
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Was it an exam or a quiz?
Exam. Standards have changed. Or maybe just that particular teacher in question. 4 part exam. 2 parts on one day. Reading and listening exams will be on Wednesday.

ACE is one of the higher respected schools in Phnom Penh.

She has no desire to go to Northbridge or ISPP, unfortunately. Too far to commute and too much money to spend.

Level 9a next.
Exactly. One teacher yet you slam the entire brand.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
RogueAnt
Expatriate
French Polynesia

Post by RogueAnt »

One teacher in the glassdoor reviews commented
"Flawed testing system open to error. Teachers encouraged to pass lazy and incompetent students because they are paying."

The sad thing is that ACE is still probably the "best" language school in Cambodia, which doesn't say a lot.

I also have a funny anecdote from about 5 years ago when my family sponsored a whip-smart kid to study there who needed an IELTS score. He and some other students started a facebook page called Troll ACE. It was very funny and many students used the page to complain about ACE, make funny observations about teachers etc. It was really just normal teenage trolling, nothing nasty and in my opinion the students were using critical thinking - skills they were being taught at ACE on the EAP program.

Anyway, it was infiltrated by someone (a teacher, a manager ?) and there was quite some effort put into finding out who was behind the pages. There were threats that students wouldn't pass exams and would be be banned etc.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

violet wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:16 am Exactly. One teacher yet you slam the entire brand.
The brand is still well respected, or else there would have been a voting with the feet a long time ago. The one non-caring teacher does poison the hard work many wonderful teachers (like you Violet) do.

I’m still pretty envious of the Khmer kids who speak English as if they had been born in LA or New York.

Watched them over at Luigi’s. Flipped from perfect English to perfect Khmer in mid sentence like it was nothing.

Wonder where they went to learn English that well.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

RogueAnt wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:05 am One teacher in the glassdoor reviews commented
"Flawed testing system open to error. Teachers encouraged to pass lazy and incompetent students because they are paying."...
So the school is emulating what Yale, Harvard, UCLA, USD, UC Berkley, Georgetown, University of Texas, Northwestern and Stamford did? shocking!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:56 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:32 am First time the teacher has stood up to teach all semester. He has stated that he hates standing up to teach. Also a first is writing on the whiteboard. He’s also stated he hates writing during class.

This is what he wrote.

Told the students to copy verbatim as if it was gold.

My take on it...

Is it beneficial for a native English speaking teacher to speak English in English class?

In his case ...

A useless waste on all accounts.
As a non-teacher I don't see a problem. The topic is relevant to the students, and what he's asking them to do seems clear enough to me. What don't you like ?
As a licensed teacher I must say it's not perfect, but it's not that bad either. It's on topic, schematic, but I can imagine in an English class in Cambodia it just went straight over their heads, unless they're pretty advanced in English AND have learned about writing an essay during other classes.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:25 am
violet wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:16 am Exactly. One teacher yet you slam the entire brand.
The brand is still well respected, or else there would have been a voting with the feet a long time ago. The one non-caring teacher does poison the hard work many wonderful teachers (like you Violet) do.

I’m still pretty envious of the Khmer kids who speak English as if they had been born in LA or New York.

Watched them over at Luigi’s. Flipped from perfect English to perfect Khmer in mid sentence like it was nothing.

Wonder where they went to learn English that well.
Mixed up quotes but no biggy. I care(d) but I was not among the best teachers. Nor was I among the worst. Pretty much my standard for life really.

As for where those at Luigi's would have learned? Perhaps at home
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Seems a good thread to share this on
...Let me tell you why those who ooze passion for teaching are leaving the occupation like their hair is on fire...

1. The old excuse "the kids have changed". No. No friggin way. Kids are kids. PARENTING has changed. SOCIETY has changed. The kids are just the innocent victims of that. Parents are working crazy hours, consumed by their devices, leaving kids in unstable parenting/coparenting situations, terrible media influences... and we are going to give the excuse that the KIDS have changed? What did we expect them to do? Kids behave in undesirable ways in the environment they feel safest. They test the water in the environment that they know their mistakes and behaviors will be treated with kindness and compassion. For those "well behaved" kids--they're throwing normal kid tantrums at home because it's safe. The kids flipping tables at school? They don't have a safe place at home. Our classrooms are the first place they've ever heard 'no', been given boundaries, shown love through respect. Cue "the kids have changed" 🙄.

2. In the midst of all of this... our response is...
Continue reading

https://www.someecards.com/news/news/ex ... uit-viral/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic