Thieving cop gang

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Re: Thieving cop gang

Post by davegorman »

Cam Nivag wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:18 am Speaking of thieving cops, why don't they fleece foreigners who jaywalk and who throw cigarette butts on the ground? That's an easy way to make money.
Are they cigarette butt throwing jaywalkers or two different groups?
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:42 am

Jaywalking isn't illegal, I don't think the concept exists outside of the US.
They should criminalize jaywalking and then just enforce it against foreigners. Easy money.
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Paulo »

A couple of weeks ago, I was pulled over by a group of cops outside the railway station after making an illegal left turn off Monivong. One off the cops spoke pretty good English, and we had a chat about family and life in PP. He mentioned coffee money. I knew I had a fifty dollar note and about 3 dollars, I handed over the small amount and didn't show him the $50. He thought I was cleaned out and said don't worry about coffee money, it's OK. All in all a nice friendly guy.
UTDTID
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by UTDTID »

I got stopped Just before Chinese New year, lights on in the day, I negotiated a $1 fine but smallest I had was a five Of course he had no change so I said keep it. He was so happy and grateful, he said for me oh thank you so much I wish good luck to you sir.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Cam Nivag wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:15 am Don't be a dick. The problem is the police not issuing a proper ticket or assessing a proper fine but instead demanding a phone and jewelry and then ordering a solo female to drive to secluded area and demanding $50 from her.
The problem is she couldn't run away and the cops refused to accept a bribe. She didn't like that for once they did their job properly. She was going to wear her helmet, soon, but not yet.

Have you been stopped by traffic police? They almost always ask for collateral so that you don't run away, because people do, we all do, and NKOTB's perfect princess would if she could, too, which is what the police are pro-actively defending themselves against.

The cops fined her $3. This whole rapey scenario you're painting exists only in her head.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

UTDTID wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:05 pm I got stopped Just before Chinese New year, lights on in the day, I negotiated a $1 fine but smallest I had was a five Of course he had no change so I said keep it. He was so happy and grateful, he said for me oh thank you so much I wish good luck to you sir.
Paulo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:55 am A couple of weeks ago, I was pulled over by a group of cops outside the railway station after making an illegal left turn off Monivong. One off the cops spoke pretty good English, and we had a chat about family and life in PP. He mentioned coffee money. I knew I had a fifty dollar note and about 3 dollars, I handed over the small amount and didn't show him the $50. He thought I was cleaned out and said don't worry about coffee money, it's OK. All in all a nice friendly guy.

You could solve that problem many times by having two wallets. One with dollars in and in your other pocket a wallet with Riel . It will not only get you out of tricky situations with the cops, but also with beggars, bar-girls and family. Makes them feel so guilty about asking for the last 1000 r note in your wallet . I recently had one girl wanted to give me a massage, but when I showed her how much Riel was in my wallet she gave me one for free. She was really surprised when I gave her $5 as I left.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Another way to avoid this issue is by riding a bicycle.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

[Mod Edit: Goodbye.]
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Someone is about to get a holiday.. :beer3:
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Tarndog has left the building.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic