Welfare checks at Sun and Moon

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Welfare checks at Sun and Moon

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Brody wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:09 am
clutchcargo wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:19 am
Fair comment.
Don't roll over so easily. I don't think Fax's comment was fair at all. And I find his attempt to ramp up the tenor of the exchange with his "[slur removed] coffee" comment, to be way out of line.

You put it in perfect context here:
clutchcargo wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:19 amIt was meant to be just a bit of obscure trivia in the context of the levity that was going on around the S&M.

clutchcargo wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:19 am No malice or offence was intended
Anyone who experienced malice or offense by what you posted needs to have their head examined.

What, are we all going to walk on eggshells around each other on this forum?

For fucks sake, was it a tinge off-color? Maybe. Malicious? Not in a million years. And absolutely no call to equate it with the term "[slur removed]" and "homophobic", fax.

No need to have your original comment deleted, Clutch. At least not to my mind.

Put a splash of bourbon in your coffee fax and settle down.
Thanks Brody. After going to bed last night with the JB banning in mind (of which I guess I was the instigator to push it to the attention of the mods) and logging in this morning to find a potential homophobic allegation to my post, made me over sensitive that some may accuse me of a double standard.

As you say, I don't see my post as nearing the severity of yesterday's incident and in any event, I would imagine a mod edit would have been the go to cut that bit out in the first instance and/or a warning if they thought it was over the top.

FLB also made the point that NKOTB and Explorer get harassed and its gotta stop. Not sure harassed is the right word but it did make me think that I have been party to having a go at Explorer at times however I've tried to deliver it in a light hearted, humorous manner which I think (hope) he would not be offended. But I guess there's a fine line about having a go at someone, I will think twice in the future.
I guess these incidents probably put a dampener on things but yeah I would hope not too much and it's a fine balance.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Everything I say is right and those who think otherwise are clearly wrong and if they still think so then they probably need a throughout head examination. Examinations of heads!

I think you're taking it too seriously. I called you a homophobe as a joke. I was never offended. The faggots in that area are great guys!
PhnomRon
Expatriate

Post by PhnomRon »

clutchcargo wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:53 am
FLB also made the point that NKOTB and Explorer get harassed and its gotta stop. Not sure harassed is the right word but it did make me think that I have been party to having a go at Explorer at times however I've tried to deliver it in a light hearted, humorous manner which I think (hope) he would not be offended. But I guess there's a fine line about having a go at someone, I will think twice in the future.

People have a go at NKOTB based on objective evaluation of the content of his posts, i.e. because he posts tedious mundane observations interspersed with over the top gushing about his wife. So people call him a weirdo. Just like they have a go at Phuket Richard for his drivel about Thailand, and they call poor Cam Nivag a weirdo for posting obsessively about shirtless and homeless expats.

NKOTB and Explorer deserve no special protection from posters for criticism of their posting style and content.
Last edited by PhnomRon on Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

no
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

they call poor Cam Nivag a weirdo for posting obsessively about shirtless and homeless expats.
poor poor chap
you seem to have a rather intimate knowledge of what goes on in his mind.
wonder how that is?

wonder why they call him a weirdo?

maybe his unusual obsessions.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

fax wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:54 am I think you're taking it too seriously. I called you a homophobe as a joke.
I'm all for improving my comedic skill-set.

So, fax, go ahead and show me where the joke supposedly is?
fax wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:43 am Walk one door further right and you're passing a guesthouse/restaurant owned by Sary the homosexual.

Or why not step across the street for some [slur removed] coffee from the lovely Feel Good couple?

They seem to like each other, who would've thought??!!??!!

Homophobic much?

You're a weird guy fax and you're either not a native English speaker or are just proof that intended inflections sometimes do not translate all that well to the written word.
PhnomRon
Expatriate

Post by PhnomRon »

frank lee bent wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:06 am
they call poor Cam Nivag a weirdo for posting obsessively about shirtless and homeless expats.
you are his sock, right?
Yeah, but Cam Nivag just banned for a week for downvoting a very thin-skinned moderator for the reason that the posts was homophobic. Meanwhile, posts about "[slur removed] coffee" go unmoderated.

These juvenile boys locker room type "you're gay, no you're gay, not that's there's anything wrong with that HAHAHA posts" deter a large number of decent and advanced-thinking expats from posting. Banning posters for making that observation is nutso.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Yeah, but Cam Nivag just banned for a week for downvoting a very thin-skinned moderator for the reason that the posts was homophobic
only gavinmac could know that as there was no announcement- thus you have outed yourself as a sock.
goodbye.
try again with another sock gav.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

clutchcargo wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:53 am FLB also made the point that NKOTB and Explorer get harassed and its gotta stop. Not sure harassed is the right word but it did make me think that I have been party to having a go at Explorer at times however I've tried to deliver it in a light hearted, humorous manner which I think (hope) he would not be offended. But I guess there's a fine line about having a go at someone, I will think twice in the future.
Yeah, and this is where mods can have a constrictive or constructive hand in a forums development.

Deciding what constitutes excessive, unwarranted haranguing versus good natured, humorous ribbing can really have a detrimental or positive effect on a web forum.

Taking the piss out of posters and calling out bullshit when I see it, is my bread and butter, I'd have to hang up my log-in for good if the mods pulled on my reins too much....but then, it's not my call to make.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Brody wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:10 am I'm all for improving my comedic skill-set.

So, fax, go ahead and show me where the joke supposedly is?
fax wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:43 am Walk one door further right and you're passing a guesthouse/restaurant owned by Sary the homosexual.

Or why not step across the street for some [slur removed] coffee from the lovely Feel Good couple?

They seem to like each other, who would've thought??!!??!!

Homophobic much?

You're a weird guy fax and you're either not a native English speaker or are just proof that intended inflections sometimes do not translate all that well to the written word.
Exaggerating the clutch scenario of worrying where gays are was and still is funny to me. I imagined him stressing past Space Salon, sweaty, into the safety of Sary's, to escape the evil homos.

You're right, I'm a pretty weird non-native English speaker. Maybe our humour is different. How about your humour? Is this a rare moment of self reflection?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic