Just love Cambodian Bureaucracy

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Just love Cambodian Bureaucracy

Post by newkidontheblock »

Missus just returned from the Ministry or Foreigner Affairs. Official translation into English for the permission to marry, marriage certificate, etc. Proofread it tonight with her.

My Birthplace: China

My nationality: Khmer American

Both wrong.

This is despite the missus putting sticky labels on the original document to tell them exactly what to translate.

And they still got it wrong!
And sent copies of the incorrect documents to
the US Embassy in Phnom Penh and the Cambodian Embassy in Washington, DC!

Apparently the ministry workers just fill in whatever.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Re: Just love Cambodian Bureaucracy

Post by davegorman »

Foreign affairs.
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

They are horrible to deal with.

I had to get documents done for my daughter. I gave them the original documents and translations I got done from first class. They only had to copy the already translated information.

The first time they missed a letter of my birth city and the second time they forgot the last letter of my first name.

I had a flight the next day but luckily I had 3 copies and managed to print an S in between my first and last name and my embassy saw no issue.

Also had to go back to "the countryside" multiple times to get the Khmer documents done correctly . Happy it's all done now. Fcking headache.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Australian government accepted translations from pyramid. Do the US require a ministry translation?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:12 pm And they still got it wrong!
And sent copies of the incorrect documents to
the US Embassy in Phnom Penh and the Cambodian Embassy in Washington, DC!
How come the ministry was sending your documents? Is that just standard procedure? Getting inaccurate/ false documents sent to the US Embassy by a ministry is not going to look good even if you aren't to blame. I hope you can get it cleared up.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

epidemiks wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:15 pm Australian government accepted translations from pyramid. Do the US require a ministry translation?
I thought that all embassies in PP except translations from Pyramid and 1st Class because, well, they are useless at it.

Embassies don’t do translations. I thought that was the point.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Missus took it up with a minister today. He said that it was their mistake, and will be fixed, gratis.

Also, the late King father issued a decree stating that no Taiwanese may marry a Cambodian. New king has not rescinded the decree. Hence, China as birthplace listed.
Hernández
Tourist
Mexico

Post by Hernández »

I never looked into the marry stories here much.. I only hear that so many people get screwed by those greedy people! but I was wondering why would you need those papers here you can also marry easily in another country and those papers will be valid in your country..
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by logos »

Hernández wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:25 am you can also marry easily in another country and those papers will be valid in your country..
Very often there's a wall of misunderstanding between different countries.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Only if Trump gets his US$5 billion.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic