Convincing the parents

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Convincing the parents

Post by newkidontheblock »

Part of the wedding blog series.

After multiple attempts, I finally convinced my parents to join in the wedding ceremony.

According to them, they are old, frail, and don’t travel much. After seeing a Khmer wedding video, they were convinced they would be unable to sit on the ground for long periods, chant, and survive the heat.

More like everywhere they go, there’s a tour guide with a little flag to follow. At the airport, to the tour bus, to the attractions, to the restaurant, to the hotel. They’ve never been on their own. The shock began having to get a connecting flight in Vietnam to get to Siem Reap.

But their other concerns about sitting was addressed with chairs, and cushions. Chairs for the non-monk parts, and cushions for the parts they had to sit on the ground.

One air conditioned bunker to survive the heat in the between periods.

And a water cooler fan to survive the outdoor parts.

Missus, being my clever half, also had custom made clothes for them. Traditional sampot and skirt for mom, and Khmer shirt and pants for dad. 2 outfits each.

Mom, joined in getting dolled up.

Missus asked her friend to stay at their side to take them to eat and translate for them. Kudos to her.

Van was hired to pick them up from the airport, take them to wedding and bring them to the airport.

Parents had such a wonderful time. Ate the traditional food served (rice soup) throughout the day, and the wedding dinner without a problem. Really loved missus’ taking care of the details.

Asked them when they would return on their own to visit. No answer. Guess old habits die hard.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Convincing the parents

Post by Kammekor »

The perfect son, with the perfect missus.

Congratulations!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Kammekor wrote:The perfect son, with the perfect missus.

Congratulations!
I am a deeply flawed son, missus is beyond perfect. I would not have survived the wedding without her. Parents were so impressed with missus, they gave a wedding gift that covers more than half the wedding costs.

Do any banks allow personal checks to be cashed in Phnom Penh?

Thanks so much Kanmekor!
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Cinnamoncat »

The photographs are really great. I like your "photojournalism" when explaining and describing. I am definitely hoping that your marriage is long and happy, and thanks for sharing everything.

I had no idea that your parents are Asian. They look really healthy, but probably well into their seventies?

Thanks so much. Great read.
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

thanks nkotb for the photos and sharing your wedding with us. great job.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Congratulations and best of luck with your marriage. I knew you were ethnic Chinese, I'm guessing your parents were born in the US? It can be quite difficult sometimes for older people to deal with the heat and general strangeness here, so I hope they get on well. Your idea of building that bunker makes a lot more sense now. As for the check, I've never cashed a foreign bank check here but I doubt it will be an easy process. All the best.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Do any banks allow personal checks to be cashed in Phnom Penh?
I am fairly certain that there was an announcement a couple years ago that foreign bank cheques are no longer accepted by Cambodian financial institutions. You may need to get your parents to transfer the money.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Or, assuming you are going back to the US within the next while just wait and cash it/ lodge it then.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

John Bingham wrote:Or, assuming you are going back to the US within the next while just wait and cash it/ lodge it then.
Missus will try to cash it first. Car driver says that Cambodia Investment Bank? near Vattanac does check cashing. If not, then I’ll bring it back next month to cash here.

Parents kept saying that the ceremony was just like back home about 60 or 70 years ago, a little after the war. Since then of course, everything’s changed. The weddings nowadays are only a few hours long, just like in the West.

Thanks for all the encouragement. Gonna catch up on sleep, and recover from jet lag.

Then onto the next chapter if there’s still interest.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

I love your stories. Please stop saying how flawed you are and how perfect your wife is. I know you are talking tongue in cheek but if you keep saying it there's a danger you'll start to believe it. Not conducive to a good marriage.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic