I’m rich to others, poor to you ...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: I’m rich to others, poor to you ...

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

explorer wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:33 amYes this is normal for many Cambodians. But many foreigners only understand Cambodians at a superficial level. Watch the people attack me for saying this.
People aren't "attacking" you, they're exposing your bullshit because you talk like you're some sort of authority, but all you're doing is sounding like a doofus to anyone with actual experience. I remember the first post I read from you, it was something about the origins of the names of Khmer towns. You wrote it like you were some sort of linguist or history professor, but all it did was expose your lack of language skills and even basic historical understanding of the country. It was both laughable and scary that you'd have the confidence to write like you did, all the while making very basic language mistakes/misinterpretations, which clearly revealed that you'd just started learning to anyone with a modicum of Khmer (or historical knowledge). Now you're doing the same, trying to sound like some sociologist, but the result is cringeworthy. Just drop the lecture-style posting and give us your personal opinion like a normal person and it'll all be cool.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

New kid's missus needs to tell the beggars the next time they come with a hand out that shevs skint and was about to come to them to get that $xxx they borrowed to pay rent.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:
explorer wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:33 amYes this is normal for many Cambodians. But many foreigners only understand Cambodians at a superficial level. Watch the people attack me for saying this.
People aren't "attacking" you, they're exposing your bullshit because you talk like you're some sort of authority, but all you're doing is sounding like a doofus to anyone with actual experience. I remember the first post I read from you, it was something about the origins of the names of Khmer towns. You wrote it like you were some sort of linguist or history professor, but all it did was expose your lack of language skills and even basic historical understanding of the country. It was both laughable and scary that you'd have the confidence to write like you did, all the while making very basic language mistakes/misinterpretations, which clearly revealed that you'd just started learning to anyone with a modicum of Khmer (or historical knowledge). Now you're doing the same, trying to sound like some sociologist, but the result is cringeworthy. Just drop the lecture-style posting and give us your personal opinion like a normal person and it'll all be cool.
Nailed it.

I’m sure he can add value, new folk learning language and culture often pick up on interesting things overlooked by others. But needs to realise that it’s ok not to understand everything and doesn’t need to pretend that he does.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"Nailed it.

I’m sure he can add value, new folk learning language and culture often pick up on interesting things overlooked by others. But needs to realise that it’s ok not to understand everything and doesn’t need to pretend that he does."

All of us long term expats started at the beginning. Learning Khmer is a long term project, if not a lifetime pursuit. Being wrong, poorly informed, or otherwise in error is something we have all been guilty of at one time or another. But to assume authority where it is so clearly misplaced is bad enough, but to expect others with more experience to accept BS at face value is asking too much. I hope he stays long enough and learns enough to one day reread this post and blush inside.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

I’m not an authority of any sort. Lots of Khmer culture confuse me. I mention it because I am confused and wish to gain more insight and wisdom.

As for the mozzies, my parents are coming. They are old and haven’t lived a provincial life since their country become a first world nation maybe half a lifetime ago? I hope they’ll be ok. New evaporative cooler is being installed, chairs and cushions will be bought. Condolences to the responder who had loved ones die of dengue and malaria. I usually get sick every time I go to the province. She does, too.

As for missus being the first? The first who isn’t using me as an ATM, not looking for status or advantage, loves me for being me, and willing to jump into an uncertain future just to be by my side? Then guilty as charged. To me she’s like a girl from the movies. The one that can’t possibly exist in real life.

The gay friend who wants to kill himself is currently in Thailand and has posted a happy picture of himself and his new beau. The same beau that the other gay friend wants desperately to grab on to. The wheels of local confusion turn.
B1.Barang
Expatriate

Post by B1.Barang »

newkidontheblock wrote:I’m not an authority of any sort. Lots of Khmer culture confuse me. I mention it because I am confused and wish to gain more insight and wisdom.

As for the mozzies, my parents are coming. They are old and haven’t lived a provincial life since their country become a first world nation maybe half a lifetime ago? I hope they’ll be ok. New evaporative cooler is being installed, chairs and cushions will be bought. Condolences to the responder who had loved ones die of dengue and malaria. I usually get sick every time I go to the province. She does, too.

As for missus being the first? The first who isn’t using me as an ATM, not looking for status or advantage, loves me for being me, and willing to jump into an uncertain future just to be by my side? Then guilty as charged. To me she’s like a girl from the movies. The one that can’t possibly exist in real life.

The gay friend who wants to kill himself is currently in Thailand and has posted a happy picture of himself and his new beau. The same beau that the other gay friend wants desperately to grab on to. The wheels of local confusion turn.
You are too proud of your missus. High expectation may cause you more headache if she can not achieve your dream. Once you fall in love with her, once she makes you blind. I don’t believe in love, haha
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

BklynBoy wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:38 am I smell bullshit... at least w/ girls.... they are most likely with guys and just post pics by themselves.. ..Seen it first hand...
Treated some girl at Aeon Mall = she wanted burger king.. ok.. i know, really classy lol
we take a few pics and of course some of her own...

happen to look at her fb page later in day and says " alone eating at burger king".. hahah i said to her wtf wrong with u?... who paid for that food you ate? she apologized and took it down.
It's very common for Cambodian women who go on a date or even a trip with a white guy to post a photo of themselves in a nice or exotic place like the airport, or Thailand, or just Burger King but not post a photo of the white guy, because they don't want friends and family to think they are a whore who dates multiple white guys, and they don't want the scandal of potentially not marrying the white guy and then everyone thinks the white guy fucked them and rejected them.

I find it indecorous that you shamed her when you saw her photo by asking her "who paid for that food you ate?" Paying $3 to take an impoverished girl to Burger King really doesn't give you a right to determine what she shares about the meal with other people. Gentlemen don't demand credit on Facebook for having bought a lady a Whopper Junior.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Cam Nivag wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:00 pm
BklynBoy wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:38 am I smell bullshit... at least w/ girls.... they are most likely with guys and just post pics by themselves.. ..Seen it first hand...
Treated some girl at Aeon Mall = she wanted burger king.. ok.. i know, really classy lol
we take a few pics and of course some of her own...

happen to look at her fb page later in day and says " alone eating at burger king".. hahah i said to her wtf wrong with u?... who paid for that food you ate? she apologized and took it down.
It's very common for Cambodian women who go on a date or even a trip with a white guy to post a photo of themselves in a nice or exotic place like the airport, or Thailand, or just Burger King but not post a photo of the white guy, because they don't want friends and family to think they are a whore who dates multiple white guys, and they don't want the scandal of potentially not marrying the white guy and then everyone thinks the white guy fucked them and rejected them.

I find it indecorous that you shamed her when you saw her photo by asking her "who paid for that food you ate?" Paying $3 to take an impoverished girl to Burger King really doesn't give you a right to determine what she shares about the meal with other people. Gentlemen don't demand credit on Facebook for having bought a lady a Whopper Junior.

damn bro.. you have valid points.. i never even thought of it like that... No idea if that was the case or not but i agree w/ u... that does make sense.... Can't and won't ask her but interesting take...
My bad.... ..
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

What? No argument? Shit, I wanted an argument. Now I'm sad.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:01 pm I’m not an authority of any sort. Lots of Khmer culture confuse me. I mention it because I am confused and wish to gain more insight and wisdom.

New Kid, I will give it to you honestly ok? You come across as the younger brother who DESPERATELY wants to be accepted by the "cool kids". Think before you post. Think " is any one really going to be interested in the mundane things that are happening to me, that have happened to them in the past". I understand that you are obviously very lonely out in the province, being the only barang and only English speaker. But DON'T just post the first thing that comes into your head every time. Some of your posts are naive, some insightful, some interesting. But overall - you bore the shit out of me at least. At best I give a condescending little laugh at your impetuosity. No offence meant mate, but think hard before posting your every thought and every bowel movement.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic