Ministry craziness

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Ministry craziness

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Arget wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:24 pmCan you explain to us what you needed to go there for? =@
You obviously missed my post...
The sex trafficking unit Newkid is referring to is the 'National Committe to Lead the Suppression of Human Trafficking, Smuggling, Labour Exploitation and Sexual Exploitation in Woman and Children (S.T.S.L.S)' , which is a department of the MoI, based out of the Department of Identification Building. This is where all the various departments of the MoI conduct the interviews as part of the Foreigners marrying Cambodian Citizens application process.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Sorry I didn't connect him getting married with sex trafficking. My bad
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Arget wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:49 pm Sorry I didn't connect him getting married with sex trafficking. My bad
I don't think that's your bad at all, the original post mentioned sex trafficking 6 times. I have no idea what the reasoning behind that was, or why anyone would get into an in depth discussion with a guard, especially if they supposedly had a fixer.
NKOTB wrote:Just wrapped up with ministry of immigration, sex trafficking unit.... went to the fixer at the next ministry of sex trafficking.....Gate keeper guy at the sex trafficking unit told the missus that both us must be sex traffickers. According to him, only bar girls dress in business attire and pimps wear suit and tie. All official papers can be faked by professional sex traffickers and nothing can be believe. Could not believe jobs, income, everything........people filtered back..... to the sex trafficking unit.
:?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

kiwiincambodia wrote:What’s the ministry sex trafficking unit and why were you there?

More than likely he got a call from a higher up telling him you had already passed the first check so to let you proceed. Why he was like that in the first place is anyone’s guess but best guess would be he wanted some tea money.
The believe correct answer to the problems was that everyone wanted more tea money. On the first go around, the intake guy at the first desk (a non-military officer) loudly announced (in Khmer of course) our professions, ethnicities, etc., all the officers in the room started bad mouthing everything. Missus told me that the first guy was wearing a lot of expensive jewelry despite being so young. He told her straight up that she needed to give him all she can in tea money. Despite being in the other room with the fixer.

On the second go around, one of the officers asked the missus to donate, amount ‘up to you.’ She gave him 5 dollars. He replied that he had to pay off another guy in the room as well and she needed to donate more.

The official interviewers in the second room consisted of an old lady and a guy. The old lady interviewed the missus. And was knitting the entire time. The other guy who interviewed me had his eyes were stuck to the computer screen.

They kept insisting that I couldn’t be western and must be mainland Chinese, despite what my passport says. My name, parents names, needed to be phonetically translated (by my missus) into Khmer. And lots of other inappropriate stuff.

New notes to self if I have to ever come back to this unit in the MOI. Don’t bother dressing formally in suit and tie, nice shoes and bringing the Pedro bag. Dress like an a jai. Second, everyone is an interviewer and needs to be bribed. Finally, maybe bring a case or two of beer for everyone so no one feels like they didn’t get enough tea money.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

The harder they make it, the more men will think twice before committing to marriage.

They're doing men a favour.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

newkidontheblock wrote:
kiwiincambodia wrote:What’s the ministry sex trafficking unit and why were you there?

More than likely he got a call from a higher up telling him you had already passed the first check so to let you proceed. Why he was like that in the first place is anyone’s guess but best guess would be he wanted some tea money.
The believe correct answer to the problems was that everyone wanted more tea money. On the first go around, the intake guy at the first desk (a non-military officer) loudly announced (in Khmer of course) our professions, ethnicities, etc., all the officers in the room started bad mouthing everything. Missus told me that the first guy was wearing a lot of expensive jewelry despite being so young. He told her straight up that she needed to give him all she can in tea money. Despite being in the other room with the fixer.

On the second go around, one of the officers asked the missus to donate, amount ‘up to you.’ She gave him 5 dollars. He replied that he had to pay off another guy in the room as well and she needed to donate more.

The official interviewers in the second room consisted of an old lady and a guy. The old lady interviewed the missus. And was knitting the entire time. The other guy who interviewed me had his eyes were stuck to the computer screen.

They kept insisting that I couldn’t be western and must be mainland Chinese, despite what my passport says. My name, parents names, needed to be phonetically translated (by my missus) into Khmer. And lots of other inappropriate stuff.

New notes to self if I have to ever come back to this unit in the MOI. Don’t bother dressing formally in suit and tie, nice shoes and bringing the Pedro bag. Dress like an a jai. Second, everyone is an interviewer and needs to be bribed. Finally, maybe bring a case or two of beer for everyone so no one feels like they didn’t get enough tea money.

Damn, wish they had made things that difficult when I got married. Would have saved me a lot of hassle further down the line.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

With all these requests for bribes, it makes it seem like the Ministry of Sex Trafficking is trying to pimp NKOTB's wife to him. Ironic.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:34 am They kept insisting that I couldn’t be western and must be mainland Chinese...
Why would they say you're Chinese?

Do you look Chinese?

Have you just outed yourself as a Chinaman?
bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bvanfossen »

Shit, if this is for marriage I do not have pay stubs. Only a letter (printed on letter head) from my company stating I am employed, for how long, my pay and a wet signature. Is that enough for proof of income? I guess I should "dress down" when we go?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

I’m an Inuit. I hunt baby seals and eat whale blubber.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic