Advice for trip to U.S. with adopted Khmer child

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Advice for trip to U.S. with adopted Khmer child

Post by Jacobincambodia »

I’m looking for advice regarding travel with my adopted son back to the U.S. He currently holds a U.S. passport and a Khmer passport however does not have a K visa. Since a visa is required for Cambodian passport holders (for travel to the US), do I use his US passport for his ticket name and exit Cambodia on his Khmer passport? If that’s the case, what about exit/entry stamps with using both passports? Will that cause issues? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iluvu
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Advice for trip to U.S. with adopted Khmer child

Post by iluvu »

Just use the US passport. Grab a k visa when you come back and use the Cambodian passport for Asian countries or wherever has cheaper or free visas for Cambodians.
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

iluvu wrote:Just use the US passport. Grab a k visa when you come back and use the Cambodian passport for Asian countries or wherever has cheaper or free visas for Cambodians.
Appreciate it. Do you know if there will be any issues as his US passport won’t have proper stamps? Just making sure so we don’t encounter problems when we are due to leave.

lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

Jacobincambodia wrote:
iluvu wrote:Just use the US passport. Grab a k visa when you come back and use the Cambodian passport for Asian countries or wherever has cheaper or free visas for Cambodians.
Appreciate it. Do you know if there will be any issues as his US passport won’t have proper stamps? Just making sure so we don’t encounter problems when we are due to leave.

You need to get an exit visa for the us passport a few days before departure if thats the passport youll use

Sent from my CPH1605 using Tapatalk

Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Even if he has a Cambodian visa? I want to know FOR SURE as I live in SHV.

lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

Jacobincambodia wrote:Even if he has a Cambodian visa? I want to know FOR SURE as I live in SHV.

He already has a Cambodia visa in his passport? If so then your good. If not is his US passport blank and never used or has it been used to exit Cambodia before?

Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

lostjeremy wrote:
Jacobincambodia wrote:Even if he has a Cambodian visa? I want to know FOR SURE as I live in SHV.

He already has a Cambodia visa in his passport? If so then your good. If not is his US passport blank and never used or has it been used to exit Cambodia before?

He’s exited before with his us immigration visa

lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

Jacobincambodia wrote:
lostjeremy wrote:

He’s exited before with his us immigration visa

Im not sure what that means.
All i can tell you is my son also has both US and Cambodia passports.
We used an exit visa the first time we used his US passport then got a K visa when we returned. Didnt even bring his Cambodia passport with us on that trip.

that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Wouldn't it be wiser just to contact your embassy and ask them?
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

As long as the name matches it doesn't matter which passport you hand over, you need the yankee one to get your ticket, cos you have to prove you can get off the plane but immigration just need to see the Cambodian one. Your ticket just has your name on it, your ticket matches the name on your passport, you go through.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic