Advice for trip to U.S. with adopted Khmer child

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Re: Advice for trip to U.S. with adopted Khmer child

Post by LaudJohn »

Exit Cambodia on the Cambodian passport.
Enter the US on the US passport.
Leave the US on the US passport.
Enter Cambodia on the Cambodian passport.

No problems. Been there done that.

No need for a K visa.
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jacobincambodia »

LaudJohn wrote:Exit Cambodia on the Cambodian passport.

No need for a K visa.
Seems to the consensus. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
joelightcloud
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by joelightcloud »

LaudJohn wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:56 pm Exit Cambodia on the Cambodian passport.

No need for a K visa.
Totally correct. When I leave or enter Cambodia I use my Cambodian passport, if my point of entry is to any country outside of ASEAN I use my UK passport to both enter and leave, when returning to Cambodia I use my Cambodian passport. It's as simple as that.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

LaudJohn wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:56 pm Exit Cambodia on the Cambodian passport.

No need for a K visa.
told him the above on FB>
"Check in for US flight with US passport, ONLY show relevant passport at immigration"

Can someone please explain, what is the purpose of a K visa, IF u have a Cambodian passport?
many on FB are telling him to get one in the us passport.

I can see no advantage to having it
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

If you want a K visa, go to the visa on arrival section fill out the form, show the kids Cambodian passpot donate $5 for the visa and get it in the US passport.

You then have the choice of entering Cambodia on either the Cambodian or US passport.

The advantage of entering on the US passport with the K visa is that you have the "protection " of the US embassy / government for what that's worth.
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jacobincambodia »

phuketrichard wrote:

No need for a K visa.
told him the above on FB>
"Check in for US flight with US passport, ONLY show relevant passport at immigration"

Can someone please explain, what is the purpose of a K visa, IF u have a Cambodian passport?
many on FB are telling him to get one in the us passport.

I can see no advantage to having it
Embassy is suggesting a K visa also? It’s just a bit annoying as we live in SHV.

Here is their response:

—————-

You should get an exit visa for his U.S. passport. The exit visa is valid for about a week, so it’s best to obtain it close to your son’s travel date. You can contact the General Department of Immigration (GDI) located the opposite of Phnom Penh Airport. You can contact them in advance with this number 097-314-0999. When your son return to Cambodia, he can apply for Cambodian permanent visa for his U.S. passport as he was born in Cambodia.

It’s not illegal to depart with his Cambodian passport and use the U.S. passport later, but GDI does not think this is the proper way. You can also talk to them for advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Are you Angelina Jolie?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

No need for a K visa.
It depends. Are you planning on coming back to Cambodia with your child, or not? If you want to come back after the Cambodian passport expired it might be good idea to have a K visa in the US passport because in that case your child won't have to apply for a visa when returning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

even if he returns with Expired Cambodian passport, he ( and anyone with an expired Cambodian passport) will be admitted.
This goes for just about every country i know of.. you will not be refused entry to ur own country with an expired passport
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic