Man warns about theft attempt at St 136 massage parlour

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Man warns about theft attempt at St 136 massage parlour

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Posted today on Facebook. A happy end for him since he recovered his wallet.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SEAfann
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Man warns about theft attempt at St 136 massage parlour

Post by SEAfann »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:49 pm Posted today on Facebook. A happy end for him since he recovered his wallet.
its a wonder it does'nt happen more often with the lousy pay the girls get, some of them work 12hr days 6 days per wk & earn approx $1-$2 per day, some establishments even tax the tips the workers get!
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

The tips get taxed? :wink:
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

vladimir wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:34 pm The tips get taxed? :wink:

From the tip all the way down.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Someone got shafted.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

SEAfann wrote:
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:49 pm Posted today on Facebook. A happy end for him since he recovered his wallet.
its a wonder it does'nt happen more often with the lousy pay the girls get, some of them work 12hr days 6 days per wk & earn approx $1-$2 per day, some establishments even tax the tips the workers get!
What the fuck are you talking about? If by work, you mean lounge around and eat mangoes all day until a customer comes, then OK. If by 12 hours, you mean two or three, maybe. It's not hard work. As with most jobs in Cambodia, it's mostly lounging around doing nothing all day. Those massage parlours are usually staffed by divorcees or random girls who have had zero training in massage therapy. They give a crappy massage for 30-40 minutes for a few bucks. If they give three massages per day (3 hours of work max), they'll make $150-200, which isn't bad for unskilled labour. That's not counting any "extras" some might provide. The girls in higher end massage parlours will get a base salary plus commission per massage, plus tips. Again, not that bad given the number of hours they actually work. I can think of way more demanding jobs.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Duncan wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:58 pm

From the tip all the way down.
Just the tip, just for a second, just to see how it feels
SEAfann
Expatriate
Australia

Post by SEAfann »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:00 pm
SEAfann wrote:
What the fuck are you talking about? If by work, you mean lounge around and eat mangoes all day until a customer comes, then OK. If by 12 hours, you mean two or three, maybe. It's not hard work. As with most jobs in Cambodia, it's mostly lounging around doing nothing all day. Those massage parlours are usually staffed by divorcees or random girls who have had zero training in massage therapy. They give a crappy massage for 30-40 minutes for a few bucks. If they give three massages per day (3 hours of work max), they'll make $150-200, which isn't bad for unskilled labour. That's not counting any "extras" some might provide. The girls in higher end massage parlours will get a base salary plus commission per massage, plus tips. Again, not that bad given the number of hours they actually work. I can think of way more demanding jobs.
more like WTF are you talking about?...so in your mind $1-$2 per day is ok? the average pay i found was approx $80 per mth, from what ive seen in the high season the girls in busy establishments give way more than '3' massages a day, & its up to the customer to ask for how long the massage goes for, a short time or all day if you like, maybe you have had crappy massages yet ive had the best massages ever from some of the girls...yet WTF do i know? im only a practising masseur here in australia, i bet you're the 'pay the workers the bare minimum' sort of guy, i get the feeling you're one of those that run a 'massage parlour'?, please...save your BS spiel for the novice traveller!
Last edited by SEAfann on Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
SEAfann
Expatriate
Australia

Post by SEAfann »

yes, in some places, i went to every massage place i could find in a mile square around the riverfront area of PP many times in the last 8 years, not counting SR, the 'ville' and others, being a masseur i had an interest in the ability of the people performing the work, my wife being Khmer talked to many girls & inadvertently learnt of the general conditions of the workers in those establishments, the girls in the places which would tax the tips would whisper to the client if they had intention of giving a tip could they discretely pass it to them without management seeing, yes some girls did not have ability for the job, yet some offered the best massage ive ever had
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

SEAfann wrote: more like WTF are you talking about?...so in your mind $1-$2 per day is ok? the average pay i found was approx $80 per mth, from what ive seen in the high season the girls in busy establishments give way more than '3' massages a day, & its up to the customer to ask for how long the massage goes for, a short time or all day if you like, maybe you have had crappy massages yet ive had the best massages ever from some of the girls...yet WTF do i know? im only a practising masseur here in australia, i bet you're the 'pay the workers the bare minimum' sort of guy, i get the feeling you're one of those that run a 'massage parlour'?, please...save your BS spiel for the novice traveller!
What don't you get? If they give more than three massages, they get more money. If the customer wants a three hour massage, more money. In both cases, they're happy. It's not complicated. The fact that you claim they make $1/day while working 12 hours per day right away tells me you know nothing. The girls gave you a fake sob story about $80/month to milk a big tip out of you. They can spot a tourist a mile away.

What I said is that types of massage parlours are usually pretty bad. I've been to countless massage parlours here. Everywhere from the cheapo 5000r ones which no longer exist to $15/h ones. I've also actually been to the one in question here as well, if it's the one I'm thinking about on the corner of 19.

If you're a licensed masseuse, you should know that the higher end places typically (but not always) give way better massages than these. By higher end, I mean $7+. The girls also get paid more ($60-80 base salary plus $1-1.5/massage, plus tips). However, they've got some form of training and there's a modicum of consistency amongst the staff. For three hours of work per day (I don't consider sitting around waiting for customers to be work), they can make $220+.

The 10000-12000r places are typically just random girls with zero training. Like you, I've had some real good massages there though, but the girls come and go so quickly and staff are inconsistent so you have to stick to the same one if she's good. Like a barber, once you find a good one you stick with them. You want a masseuse you gel with. Still, I've gone soft with time and now prefer the nicer settings of pricier places. Still, even in the 10000r places, they make $1/massage plus tips.

Anyways, I've been going to these places on a weekly basis for a decade, and not once have I ever heard of a girl giving 12 massages in one day. If they're really lucky and it's a busy establishment, they'll get 6, maybe 7. That would make them tired, but very happy. Some girls make quite decent money. Again, your claim that they're "slaving away" 12h/day, six days per week for $80/month is so far from the truth it's laughable. It isn't indentured labour...

Are they paid adequately? It doesn't matter if I think it's OK or not. It's the market price. I don't set it and neither do you. As mentioned, the $80 you're being told is a sob story told to a tourist about the bare minimum they might ever make, assuming virtually non-existent tips. That's in the 10000r places though (they usually get free accommodation), the higher end ones get a higher base salary than that!

Anyways, how much do you suggest they get paid for working 1 hour per day? If you think they should earn $800/month, then feel free to be that bozo and give them a huge $50 tip. While you're at it, you should also pay your tuktuk driver who couldn't find a customer all day $50 for a two km ride. Or better yet, frequent the more expensive places which pay their staff a base salary.
Last edited by Bitte_Kein_Lexus on Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic