Fun facts about Chinese neighbours

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Re: Fun facts about Chinese neighbours

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

Sorry to shatter your illusions but SOHO is being destroyed as we speak, Berwick street is being torn down and the whole area is a shell of what it once was, The Blue Posts pub will soon go as the governor, George, is soon to retire, when he goes it will turn into a yuppie bar/coffee shop/gay bar/ hip hotel, its the last real boozer in Soho.
Oh well so it goes.

charlie
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

1.6billion people, nearly 600million nouveau riche middle class, well mannered ones are few and far in between. southerners called the northerners 蛮族 = barbarians, shanghainese called all other ppl in china as 乡巴佬 = country bumpkin, the divide in china itself is deep as it is. so if you meet well mannered chinks from china then you have luck on your side.

@roz, just shout 操你妈的,静一点 = mother fucker quiet, thats the only language they respond to literally

p.s. there are idiots and assholes from singapore, hong kong, taiwan, malaysia etc as well, but probability from china is much much much much much higher, thus the stereotyping (cant help it) :beer3:
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:09 am speakeasies? clip joints? you haven,t been there for a while have you mate?.
charlie
You're right - not since around 2003, worked a lot in the area and used to drink at the Blue Posts. I have no desire to return, sounds like the place is fucked.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

Speakeasies? clip joints? it sounds like you were there in the '30s. :wink:
You could be next.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

They started to "clean up" (destroy) Soho in the late 80s. The pace has quickened in the last 10 years or so. On Berwick street market only 3 or 4 stalls are left selling fruit and veg all the rest are "craft" type burgers, falafels and curry stalls. Norman left the Coach and Horses about 10 years ago, the pub is still there but doesn,t feel the same. When i pop in for a pint it seems to be full of people looking around and ticking it off their "must see in london" list. Around the same time the Colony Room club closed ( i never went in the place, although i tried a few times" The Paul Raymond revue was gone before you were there i think.

The Marquee closed years ago and the famous italian Deli on Wardour street has also gone. Ronnie Scotts is still there as is Bar Italia opposite.
A couple of months ago i was asking the governor of the Blue Posts if there were any of the characters from the 60s 70s still about as i wanted to find somebody who maybe knew my dad and uncle. he told me to go to the cafe next door and talk to Ivy. She was an old lady with her marbles still intact and she remembered my dad and my uncle jim! I was blown away, my beer went flat in the pub while we chatted about some of the characters from those times the "Krays" the "Richardsons" "Maltese tony" "Francis Bacon" and a few names i had heard about.
Soho is not sleazy anymore its a theme park. Do you remember The small signs in Windows saying "model upstairs"? there are a few left but i reckon those girls work for the tourist board. "lets keep something for the tourists"
The other big change in Soho and london in general is beggars, you rarely saw any in the 60s, 70s maybe even into the 80s they are everywhere now, why? answers on a post card.
charlie :beer3:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:48 pm Do you remember The small signs in Windows saying "model upstairs"? there are a few left but i reckon those girls work for the tourist board. "lets keep something for the tourists"
I remember a few signs like that on doors down the smaller alleys like Wardour Mews where we'd go to smoke spliffs while working nearby. Some would have a glamorous photo from a magazine, I'm not sure if the advertising was too honest.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

One of my mates claims his dad took him to one of those "ladies" to lose his virginity when he was 16, we didn,t believe him but who knows maybe?
charlie
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

Why don't you guys go to South Park, get some memberberries and start a Soho thread? :P
You could be next.
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

seems I waited too long to check out Snooky. dang
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Kampot will be next in the firing line for sure
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/21768/ ... -new-port/
Andykk may be shrewd in his choices of steung treng and koh kong- though koh kong as development proceeds.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic