Wurk is a $400 wurd

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: Wurk is a $400 wurd

Post by vladimir »

Barang chgout wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:05 am
hanno wrote:
Barang chgout wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:54 am Immi. Cops hunting everyone.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
Obviously, the much easier solution would have been to keep your paperwork up to date......
How do I do that then? I don't and have NEVER worked here, have no boss to issue me a work card? I'm what way could I have improved my paperwork?
There is nothing stopping anyone from going to The Labour Department by themselves.

This issue has arisen because people used the one-year visa (which was originally designed only for workers) to get out of renewing the visa every month, a perfcetly understandable thing to do, since there was no other alternative.

I asked for a work permit in 2010 and was told...'Cannot'.

Four years later they stiffed me for a grand.

According to them, if you bought the work visa, you were working, end of discussion.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

WTF is this thread about? From what I can piece together -
If you get a one year visa extension it's automatically assumed you are working? This is the first I've heard of it... may change my potential plans to retire in Cambodia.
You could be next.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

That is what immigration basically said to me! have the appropriate visa for your stay. If you hold a business visa then you have to hold a work permit.
If you are on holiday have a tourist visa. If retired there is now a retirement visa.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Soyoung123
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soyoung123 »

So where did you get caught without a work permit? Did they go to your house or was it an issue when you went to renew your visa.

Also do people know how good the records are in the immigration department. The visas in past are handwritten but do they have your name logged or just passport number wherever they do visas? My passport is nearly expired so wondering if I'll have a clean slate when I renew and come back as they issue new passport numbers.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Cruisemonkey wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:36 pm WTF is this thread about? From what I can piece together -
If you get a one year visa extension it's automatically assumed you are working? This is the first I've heard of it... may change my potential plans to retire in Cambodia.
There is a retirement visa in the works, maybe available now...it was created specifically for retirees/non-working longstayers
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"There is a retirement visa in the works, maybe available now...it was created specifically for retirees/non-working longstayers."

It has been available for over a year now; I am on my second one.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

AndyKK wrote:May I ask your age?

Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Cruisemonkey wrote:WTF is this thread about? From what I can piece together -
You got it.

Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Soyoung123 wrote:So where did you get caught without a work permit? Did they go to your house or was it an issue when you went to renew your visa.

Also do people know how good the records are in the immigration department. The visas in past are handwritten but do they have your name logged or just passport number wherever they do visas? My passport is nearly expired so wondering if I'll have a clean slate when I renew and come back as they issue new passport numbers.
Yes, they came to my home in the middle of nowhere (OSoam).
The only record they run on is YOUR passport. If it's full of old visas, you're going to be up for a hefty 'fine'. I only had two old visas in my current passport but the cops were talking about fines of $5/ day....

Soyoung123
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soyoung123 »

Barang chgout wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:46 am
Soyoung123 wrote:So where did you get caught without a work permit? Did they go to your house or was it an issue when you went to renew your visa.

Yes, they came to my home in the middle of nowhere (OSoam).
The only record they run on is YOUR passport. If it's full of old visas, you're going to be up for a hefty 'fine'. I only had two old visas in my current passport but the cops were talking about fines of $5/ day....

That's hardcore. Will share your story with others. Can't believe they would come to the home.

Maybe better to renew early, come back with blank passport, and act like I've never been there before to play it safe.

Thanks for sharing / looking out.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic