Is this ethical?

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
BrazilBoy
Expatriate
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:26 am
Reputation: 13
United States of America

Re: Is this ethical?

Post by BrazilBoy » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:20 am

I know its no longer a fashionable idea, just like the idea that sex is actually about reproduction and not much else, but it still is the go-to theory among evolutionary biologists. It's also the driving idea behind the economics of sexuality - in other words "dating"

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 701630277X

Sure, women also want to enjoy sex but primarily, unless they are menopausal, they want resources and men want to gain resources in order to get women, although men don't need to be as cut-throat as women.

• Sexual economics theory analyzes sexual relationships in economic and market terms.
• Women can offer sex or exclusive sexual access to men in exchange for resources.
• Women compete by enhancing physical appearance and denigrating rivals’ reputations.
• Men compete both individually and in groups to amass resources to exchange for sex.
Because men can compete as groups, male competition is less zero sum than women’s.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:34 pm
Reputation: 1143
Cambodia

Re: Is this ethical?

Post by Mishmash » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:25 am

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:55 pm
Phnom Poon wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:47 pm
intellect does not preclude those things
I'd wager there's far more domestic violence and unwanted pregnancies attributed to the uneducated, lower socioeconomic group than to any other class.
I'm willing to wager a case of beers.

I'm sure we will get an even split and more ladies than the OP :beer3:
Mishmash
Expatriate
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:34 pm
Reputation: 1143
Cambodia

Re: Is this ethical?

Post by Mishmash » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:35 am

GMJS-CEO wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:39 pm
I dated 2 women in Cambodia, the second is my wife. I just was honest from the beginning...I am not the person for you if you are looking for financial support for you or your family. I knew of others that gave some monthly amount to the girlfriend and/or her family and I said I would not do that.

And the first still asked and was rescinded not long before the relationship finished. My wife wouldn't even let me pay for her Tuk Tuks. Could be she was just more clever at playing the long game :Rose:

Worked for me I didn't even need to make up any fake stories about sick family members.
Go on sir!!!

I got attacked on her for trusting my missus and giving her control of the finances while history bears out Khmer ladies are the best in the world.

I would be dead for sure here but for my missus and all my friends are afraid their wives, but we get drunk together and slink home to the warm bed, kids and money in the morning.

All hail Khmer ladies :bow:
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
Posts: 1634
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:00 am
Reputation: 1076
United States of America

Re: Is this ethical?

Post by Anthony's Weiner » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:44 am

hunter8 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:21 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:18 pm
those who engage in distrustful behavior appear to have the most difficulty finding partners.
Is this statement based on some kind of statistical research?

Researchers have found that people show a greater stress response when lying in a second language
because it is already more challenging to speak the second language and lying increases the cognitive stress. In one specific study, results suggest that two main factors affect the physiological nature of an individual when they lie in another language: 1) arousal due to emotions associated with lying, and 2) anxiety about managing speech production in the non-native language.
https://www.scienceofpeople.com/9-things-know-liars/

Trust is fragile. Secrets and lies jeopardize trust and can damage us and our relationships — sometimes irreparably. Honesty is more than simply not lying. Deception includes making ambiguous or vague statements, telling half-truths, manipulating information through emphasis, exaggeration, or minimization, and withholding feelings or information that is important to someone who has a right to know, because it affects the relationship and deprives that person of freedom of choice and informed action.

The Cost of Secrets and Lies

They block real intimacy with a partner.

They lead to cover-up lies and omissions that can be hard to remember.

The secret holder feels guilty, or at least uncomfortable, during intimate moments with the deceived person.

Honesty is valued as a moral norm, although the context and specifics may differ among cultures.

This violation of our values not only leads to guilt; it also affects our self-concept.

The victim of deception may begin to react to the avoidant behavior by feeling confused, anxious, angry, suspicious, abandoned, or needy.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... ationships



I guess the definition of partner would come into play, if ones partner were simply transactional, then lying would not be an issue. Also one's self-concept, that is individual perceptions of our behavior, abilities, and unique characteristics. If one was aware that there was nothing unique about themselves and knew themselves to be an untrustworthy person with no positive attributes then lying would be the only way to engage in a relationship.
User avatar
Duncan
Sir Duncan
Posts: 8151
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:22 pm
Reputation: 2336
Location: Wonder Why Central

Re: Is this ethical?

Post by Duncan » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:35 am

Mishmash wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:35 am
GMJS-CEO wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:39 pm
I dated 2 women in Cambodia, the second is my wife. I just was honest from the beginning...I am not the person for you if you are looking for financial support for you or your family. I knew of others that gave some monthly amount to the girlfriend and/or her family and I said I would not do that.

And the first still asked and was rescinded not long before the relationship finished. My wife wouldn't even let me pay for her Tuk Tuks. Could be she was just more clever at playing the long game :Rose:

Worked for me I didn't even need to make up any fake stories about sick family members.
Go on sir!!!

I got attacked on her for trusting my missus and giving her control of the finances while history bears out Khmer ladies are the best in the world.

I would be dead for sure here but for my missus and all my friends are afraid their wives, but we get drunk together and slink home to the warm bed, kids and money in the morning.

All hail Khmer ladies :bow:



Some Quotes from Anthony Weiners post.



Researchers have found that people show a greater stress response when lying in a second language because it is already more challenging to speak the second language and lying increases the cognitive stress. In one specific study, results suggest that two main factors affect the physiological nature of an individual when they lie in another language: 1) arousal due to emotions associated with lying, and 2) anxiety about managing speech production in the non-native language.

Trust is fragile. Secrets and lies jeopardize trust and can damage us and our relationships — sometimes irreparably. Honesty is more than simply not lying. Deception includes making ambiguous or vague statements, telling half-truths, manipulating information through emphasis, exaggeration, or minimization, and withholding feelings or information that is important to someone who has a right to know, because it affects the relationship and deprives that person of freedom of choice and informed action.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
violet
Expatriate
Posts: 1043
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 3:48 pm
Reputation: 338

Re: Is this ethical?

Post by violet » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:50 am

Duncan wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:35 am
Mishmash wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:35 am
GMJS-CEO wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:39 pm
I dated 2 women in Cambodia, the second is my wife. I just was honest from the beginning...I am not the person for you if you are looking for financial support for you or your family. I knew of others that gave some monthly amount to the girlfriend and/or her family and I said I would not do that.

And the first still asked and was rescinded not long before the relationship finished. My wife wouldn't even let me pay for her Tuk Tuks. Could be she was just more clever at playing the long game :Rose:

Worked for me I didn't even need to make up any fake stories about sick family members.
Go on sir!!!

I got attacked on her for trusting my missus and giving her control of the finances while history bears out Khmer ladies are the best in the world.

I would be dead for sure here but for my missus and all my friends are afraid their wives, but we get drunk together and slink home to the warm bed, kids and money in the morning.

All hail Khmer ladies :bow:



Some Quotes from Anthony Weiners post.



Researchers have found that people show a greater stress response when lying in a second language because it is already more challenging to speak the second language and lying increases the cognitive stress. In one specific study, results suggest that two main factors affect the physiological nature of an individual when they lie in another language: 1) arousal due to emotions associated with lying, and 2) anxiety about managing speech production in the non-native language.

Trust is fragile. Secrets and lies jeopardize trust and can damage us and our relationships — sometimes irreparably. Honesty is more than simply not lying. Deception includes making ambiguous or vague statements, telling half-truths, manipulating information through emphasis, exaggeration, or minimization, and withholding feelings or information that is important to someone who has a right to know, because it affects the relationship and deprives that person of freedom of choice and informed action.
right on, brother.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Posts: 534
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:01 pm
Reputation: 144
Cambodia

Re: Is this ethical?

Post by Tarndog » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:08 am

xandreu wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:32 pm
I was recently chatting to someone who explained to me how he goes about deciding if the Khmer women he meets are keepers or not.

He says that he'll date a woman for a couple of months, get to know her, let her know that he's not exactly rich but is doing ok, and see where the relationship goes.

If it seems to be going ok, after a couple of months, he'll invent a story which puts him in a very negative financial situation. Usually something along the lines of a member of his family back home becoming very sick, and he has to start sending money back to help out. He'll make out that he can just about afford it, but he'll have to do things like find much cheaper alternative accommodation, stop eating / drinking out and basically cut right back on his (their) living expenses.

He keeps this up for a few weeks and gauges how his new girlfriend reacts to the new situation. He said many of them will find excuses to leave him, in which case, he's grateful that he's learned something about her now rather than further down the line.

If she sticks by him and is prepared to weather the storm so to speak, he knows she's a keeper. Once he's satisfied that she's not with him just for money, he'll simply say that the family member has recovered and all's back to normal.

I'm torn between thinking that this is genius and thinking that this is a pretty terrible thing to base a relationship on.
As has already been mentioned, lying isn't ethical. But I would argue that at least he's leveling the playing field. It's likely, though not universally guaranteed, that the Khmer woman in any given situation has lied to him about her situation as well. One incredibly common example is that most Khmer own at least one parcel of land in their own name. Yet how many times do you hear about how they are poor, their salary is so low, and they have no money. Selling their land so they can get access to money which is rightfully theirs is a foreign concept, whereas it's an ordinary consideration for western mentalities. If a westerner doesn't choose to sell his land, he'd likely apply for a bank loan. Not so for women in the KOW. Just complain to a barang guy so he gives them money.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
Posts: 1634
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:00 am
Reputation: 1076
United States of America

Re: Is this ethical?

Post by Anthony's Weiner » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:29 am

Tarndog wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:08 am
xandreu wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:32 pm
I was recently chatting to someone who explained to me how he goes about deciding if the Khmer women he meets are keepers or not.

He says that he'll date a woman for a couple of months, get to know her, let her know that he's not exactly rich but is doing ok, and see where the relationship goes.

If it seems to be going ok, after a couple of months, he'll invent a story which puts him in a very negative financial situation. Usually something along the lines of a member of his family back home becoming very sick, and he has to start sending money back to help out. He'll make out that he can just about afford it, but he'll have to do things like find much cheaper alternative accommodation, stop eating / drinking out and basically cut right back on his (their) living expenses.

He keeps this up for a few weeks and gauges how his new girlfriend reacts to the new situation. He said many of them will find excuses to leave him, in which case, he's grateful that he's learned something about her now rather than further down the line.

If she sticks by him and is prepared to weather the storm so to speak, he knows she's a keeper. Once he's satisfied that she's not with him just for money, he'll simply say that the family member has recovered and all's back to normal.

I'm torn between thinking that this is genius and thinking that this is a pretty terrible thing to base a relationship on.
As has already been mentioned, lying isn't ethical. But I would argue that at least he's leveling the playing field. It's likely, though not universally guaranteed, that the Khmer woman in any given situation has lied to him about her situation as well. One incredibly common example is that most Khmer own at least one parcel of land in their own name. Yet how many times do you hear about how they are poor, their salary is so low, and they have no money. Selling their land so they can get access to money which is rightfully theirs is a foreign concept, whereas it's an ordinary consideration for western mentalities. If a westerner doesn't choose to sell his land, he'd likely apply for a bank loan. Not so for women in the KOW. Just complain to a barang guy so he gives them money.
5.5 million women in the KOW between ages 15 and 64
100 thousand barang guys at the very most
55 Khmer women for every barang married or not
There must be a line up of women at your door waiting to complain!
Image

Males me wonder how you have time to deal with all the requests for money, beat thieves on the street and still post this. Obviously time management is one of your strongest suits.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Posts: 534
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:01 pm
Reputation: 144
Cambodia

Re: Is this ethical?

Post by Tarndog » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:35 am

Anthony's Weiner wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:29 am
Tarndog wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:08 am
xandreu wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:32 pm
I was recently chatting to someone who explained to me how he goes about deciding if the Khmer women he meets are keepers or not.

He says that he'll date a woman for a couple of months, get to know her, let her know that he's not exactly rich but is doing ok, and see where the relationship goes.

If it seems to be going ok, after a couple of months, he'll invent a story which puts him in a very negative financial situation. Usually something along the lines of a member of his family back home becoming very sick, and he has to start sending money back to help out. He'll make out that he can just about afford it, but he'll have to do things like find much cheaper alternative accommodation, stop eating / drinking out and basically cut right back on his (their) living expenses.

He keeps this up for a few weeks and gauges how his new girlfriend reacts to the new situation. He said many of them will find excuses to leave him, in which case, he's grateful that he's learned something about her now rather than further down the line.

If she sticks by him and is prepared to weather the storm so to speak, he knows she's a keeper. Once he's satisfied that she's not with him just for money, he'll simply say that the family member has recovered and all's back to normal.

I'm torn between thinking that this is genius and thinking that this is a pretty terrible thing to base a relationship on.
As has already been mentioned, lying isn't ethical. But I would argue that at least he's leveling the playing field. It's likely, though not universally guaranteed, that the Khmer woman in any given situation has lied to him about her situation as well. One incredibly common example is that most Khmer own at least one parcel of land in their own name. Yet how many times do you hear about how they are poor, their salary is so low, and they have no money. Selling their land so they can get access to money which is rightfully theirs is a foreign concept, whereas it's an ordinary consideration for western mentalities. If a westerner doesn't choose to sell his land, he'd likely apply for a bank loan. Not so for women in the KOW. Just complain to a barang guy so he gives them money.
5.5 million women in the KOW between ages 15 and 64
100 thousand barang guys at the very most
55 Khmer women for every barang married or not
There must be a line up of women at your door waiting to complain!
Image

Males me wonder how you have time to deal with all the requests for money, beat thieves on the street and still post this. Obviously time management is one of your strongest suits.
...Such a weiner... are you jealous that I actually have so many women lining up to be with me?
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
Posts: 1634
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:00 am
Reputation: 1076
United States of America

Re: Is this ethical?

Post by Anthony's Weiner » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:44 am

Tarndog wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:35 am
Anthony's Weiner wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:29 am
Tarndog wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:08 am
xandreu wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:32 pm




Just complain to a barang guy so he gives them money.
5.5 million women in the KOW between ages 15 and 64
100 thousand barang guys at the very most
55 Khmer women for every barang married or not
There must be a line up of women at your door waiting to complain!
Image

Males me wonder how you have time to deal with all the requests for money, beat thieves on the street and still post this. Obviously time management is one of your strongest suits.
...Such a weiner... are you jealous that I actually have so many women lining up to be with me?
No they are there to complain..I doubt your wife is jealous either, more likely happy for the rest from your attention.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post