The CEO dilemma

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything, whether it relates to Cambodia or not. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
Mrs Stroppy
Expatriate
Australia

Re: The CEO dilemma

Postby Mrs Stroppy » Tue May 20, 2014 12:39 pm

Well said Frank Lee bent. Perhaps we could also have a warning line or two before we start talking graphically about torture or how someone died.
Using Tapatalk
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Postby OrangeDragon » Tue May 20, 2014 12:52 pm

Ok, sober and mostly awake now... here's my take on this stuff. You guys are talking (and GMack and I have been offline) about quality/content of posts a lot. The issue is for us, the admins, to try and 'force' that sort of thing we end up becoming what we criticized others about. Over-moderating Nazis. So my solution for this is to assign that job to you, the posters, to determine the kind of content you consider quality and thank the people giving it while criticizing those giving poor content.

Public response/peer pressure will be the driving tool in moderating poster quality... meaning that at the end of the day YOU control what kind of forum this is.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Postby kiwiincambodia » Tue May 20, 2014 12:52 pm

Well said Frank, it was one thing that i disliked about reading that other forum. I really hope that the same will not be happening over here.
Check out my website for all things Kiwi in Cambodia at https://tiny.cc/j410iy
frank lee bent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Postby frank lee bent » Tue May 20, 2014 12:55 pm

hmmm anonymity, self moderation and altruism while avoiding the pitfalls of crudity and prudity.
A bold experiment.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Postby OrangeDragon » Tue May 20, 2014 1:00 pm

By and large the anonymity seems to often unravel itself in regional forums. People end up meeting in real live, circles cross circles, pretty much everyone ends up knowing who pretty much everyone is in real life.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Postby frank lee bent » Tue May 20, 2014 1:14 pm

QED and facebook now eating the various fora - not so anonymous.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Postby IraHayes » Tue May 20, 2014 1:14 pm

"League Of Gentlemen" Phnom Penh style!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Postby StroppyChops » Tue May 20, 2014 1:21 pm

OrangeDragon wrote:The issue is for us, the admins, to try and 'force' that sort of thing we end up becoming what we criticized others about. Over-moderating Nazis.
Hear hear. Well said, old chap.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Mrs Stroppy
Expatriate
Australia

Postby Mrs Stroppy » Tue May 20, 2014 1:21 pm

IraHayes wrote:"League Of Gentlemen" Phnom Penh style!
And ladies
Using Tapatalk
Mrs Stroppy
Expatriate
Australia

Postby Mrs Stroppy » Tue May 20, 2014 1:27 pm

OrangeDragon wrote:Ok, sober and mostly awake now... here's my take on this stuff. You guys are talking (and GMack and I have been offline) about quality/content of posts a lot. The issue is for us, the admins, to try and 'force' that sort of thing we end up becoming what we criticized others about. Over-moderating Nazis. So my solution for this is to assign that job to you, the posters, to determine the kind of content you consider quality and thank the people giving it while criticizing those giving poor content.

Public response/peer pressure will be the driving tool in moderating poster quality... meaning that at the end of the day YOU control what kind of forum this is.
As long as the haters don't force people out, there are some discussions happening that I wouldn't stick my head up in to say anything as I'd get eaten alive. Personally I don't need that in my life, happy to have some fun out a serious discussion and leave the blood letting to others.
Using Tapatalk

• Advertisement
Booking.com