Shocked Man Gets Sand Burial Treatment

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
User avatar
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Posts: 38076
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:13 am
Reputation: 2166
Location: CEO Newsroom in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Contact:
Cambodia

Shocked Man Gets Sand Burial Treatment

Post by CEOCambodiaNews » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:21 pm

Image
Sihanoukville; Cambodia News: On October 20, 2019, a 39-year-old man suffered from an electrical shock in Steung Hav district, Preah Sihanouk province. The victim lost consciousness, and the people nearby covered his body in sand.
This is standard first-aid treatment for victims of an electric shock in Cambodia. It is supposed to cool down the internal organs. It is hard to know if it does any good or any harm, but in this case, the victim regained consciousness.
Image
The local authorities were informed of the accident, and they organized an ambulance to evacuate the victim to Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hospital for medical treatment.
Image
Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
User avatar
Captain Bonez
Baked
Posts: 1013
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:44 pm
Reputation: 870
Location: La-Z-Boy
Nigeria

Re: Shocked Man Gets Sand Burial Treatment

Post by Captain Bonez » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:46 pm

I think this link is a Khmer doctor telling people to stop burying electric shock victims in the sand

https://kohsantepheapdaily.com.kh/article/950171.html
Keep your money in your socks and fuck, and get massaged, with your socks on

This.

̿ ̿'̿'̿\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿
User avatar
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Posts: 38076
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:13 am
Reputation: 2166
Location: CEO Newsroom in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Contact:
Cambodia

Re: Shocked Man Gets Sand Burial Treatment

Post by CEOCambodiaNews » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:08 pm

Captain Bonez wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:46 pm
I think this link is a Khmer doctor telling people to stop burying electric shock victims in the sand

https://kohsantepheapdaily.com.kh/article/950171.html
Thanks for this CB. This practice is harmful, according to Dr. Meng Sok Sien:

Belief that sand after electric shock can lead to disability
October 21, 2019 15:19 Roth Thiya

Doctors warn that Cambodians should stop burying sand when an arm or leg is electrocuted, as this may slow down the healing process and may lead to amputation of the arm or leg for the safety of the patient.

Dr. Meng Sok Sien, Deputy Director of Inflammation and Aesthetics at the Cambodia-China Friendship Hospital, said: Some believe that after an electric shock if they bury the battered hand or foot in the sand it will heal. He says this is a false belief, and that it has caused some people to be paralyzed in the hand or foot. Many victims who believe this, do not go to the hospital to seek appropriate medical care, but try to treat themselves by burying limbs in the sand. Unfortunately, this practice can have an effect on blood supply to feet or hands and may subsequently lead to amputation.

So this is really sad, the doctor explained. We do not want to amputate his arm or leg, but sometimes it is necessary to save the victim's life.
Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
User avatar
Spigzy
Expatriate
Posts: 939
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:50 am
Reputation: 700
Great Britain

Re: Shocked Man Gets Sand Burial Treatment

Post by Spigzy » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:06 pm

Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
User avatar
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Posts: 38076
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:13 am
Reputation: 2166
Location: CEO Newsroom in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Contact:
Cambodia

Re: Shocked Man Gets Sand Burial Treatment

Post by CEOCambodiaNews » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:27 pm

It's not only bonkers, but also dangerous according to the doctor. Yet here the journalist is hailing mud burial as "proper first-aid treatment" for electrocution, because someone posted this on Facebook.
From link above:
A worker in West Kalimantan, Indonesia survives after getting electrocuted because he received a proper first-aid treatment.
Jul 13, 2018
AceShowbiz - A man in Mempawah, West Kalimantan, Indonesia is miraculously still alive after accidentally getting electrocuted. The man, named Susanto, was installing a canopy at a home on Sunday afternoon, July 8 local time when the accident happened.

It's reported that he was welding parts of the canopy. Because the canopy was too close to medium-high voltage cable, Susanto got electrocuted and lost his consciousness. Local people quickly gathered to help him. Luckily, someone appeared to know a first-aid treatment for this kind of emergency.

Susanto got buried in mud from his neck down to his legs to get rid of electrical current in his body. After he regained his consciousness, the 32-year-old man was then taken to a local hospital to get further treatment.
A video of the incident has gone viral after a Facebook user posted it online. The internet user claimed that the man was resurrected from the dead after he was buried in the mud.
Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
User avatar
Username Taken
Raven
Posts: 11513
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:53 pm
Reputation: 2924
Contact:
Cambodia

Re: Shocked Man Gets Sand Burial Treatment

Post by Username Taken » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:29 pm

Many years ago, an across the road neighbor's kid got electrocuted. While watching them get all panicky, a Khmer guy with us kept saying 'lemon, they need lemon', eventually one of the people across the road suggested lemon and a lemon was fetched from somewhere. I'm not sure what they did with the lemon but assume it was cut and put in the kids mouth, and also assuming that the sourness of the lemon caused some sort of sudden sensation to the brain and the kid came around.
It worked. However, I don't recall hearing of anyone doing it since.

Sand doesn't make sense. Go for the lemon.
... give 'em a quick, short, sharp shock ...

https://BooksAboutCambodia.com
explorer
Expatriate
Posts: 2417
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:37 pm
Reputation: 765
Australia

Re: Shocked Man Gets Sand Burial Treatment

Post by explorer » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:28 pm

CEOCambodiaNews wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:27 pm
Spigzy wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:06 pm
Indonesia - https://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00123026.html
Susanto got buried in mud from his neck down to his legs to get rid of electrical current in his body.
When they get more education, they will learn that the electric current stops in less than 10th of a second after the person no longer has contact with the wires.

In another reference, they buried the person in mud because of burns. The biggest risk with burns which go through the skin is infection. Burying the person in mud would increase exposure to bacteria, and the likelihood of infection.

They often bury the person, and do not immediately seek medical treatment. Seek medical treatment first.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Mishmash
Expatriate
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:34 pm
Reputation: 1143
Cambodia

Re: Shocked Man Gets Sand Burial Treatment

Post by Mishmash » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:29 am

Good job the shock didn't happen at Otres beach

Image

Image
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post