Renew Cambodia driving license

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Renew Cambodia driving license

Post by Kammekor » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:32 pm

ned kelly wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:28 pm
Aeon2
Then it might be they have the same condition in both places now. If I were you I would bring the letter.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:03 am

I did my last renewal at the end of June and didn’t need the address letter then.
Another guy (while I was checking my new paper) needed it, but I didn’t quite understand why.

Perhaps best to have the letter ready, but only hand it over when asked.

Ned, it would be great if you could give us a heads up after you have done your renewal.
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:20 am

ned kelly wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:38 pm
Last year i renewed my car drivers license at Aeon2,i had a letter from the Sangat,but was told i dont need it if i didnt change address.

I heard last week that they changed the rules AGAIN,and you do need the Sangat letter,even if your address hasnt changed.Can anyone confirm if this is the new rule?

Thanks.
Last week at Aeon 2 I renewed my Cambo license that had expired in July. No residency letter or rental contract required.
You do need your current home country license, previously issued cambo license, and passport.
If you change your address, you need another residency letter.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:56 pm

Renewed my licence today, at Aeon2 All was quite straight forward, especially as I introduced a complication myself.

My old Khmer drivers licence expired about a month. At the time there was no opportunity to get it renewed.
The licence was originally issued with my UK passport and UK drivers licence as proof of identity, etc.

This year, I renewed using the same UK licence, but my current visa (ordinary, issued at the airport last week) is in my Irish passport. After about 10 minutes of discussion behind the scenes, they processed the renewal.

For those doing this as a first effort or renewal, you might like to know-

Medical fee (eyesight, squint and look embarrassed). R10000
Photocopies both passports, both licences, current visa. R2000
Licence issue. R30000

Introduction, check documents- current own country licence, current/expired Khmer licence, passport with visa.
Sit, wait, make silly noises with freightdog junior (pays to take something along to keep one amused)
Get photocopies of required documents, pay fee
Sit, wait, make silly faces at freightdog junior
New ID Photo
Eyesight check, pay doctors fee
Sit, wait, play with junior
Licence paperwork issued, pay licence fee
Sit, wait...
Licence issued.

About an hour, all in.
we Remember
So Their sacrifice is never forgotten
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:51 am

I'll be there a month or 2 but won't have the proper visa to get my expired Cambodia license renewed. They won't issue on the tourist visa per my understanding.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic