PassApp scam

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything, whether it relates to Cambodia or not. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
User avatar
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Posts: 10313
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 11:24 am
Reputation: 841
Australia

Re: PassApp scam

Post by StroppyChops » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:01 pm

PIEMAN wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:41 pm
:beer3: It annoys me when they do not turn there phone on,or do not have them plugged in.Today leaving hospital i had got as far as The Pub when i realised he had no phone on show,when challenged he says "no speak english"change from when we chat outside Callemette.I told him how much i was willing to pay to carry on our journey and he agreed,i do not know wether the play on the fact that they know people have other things on their mind at Hospitals or they are just cheats out and out. :bow:
I worked briefly with another agency to medically support a motodop who blacked out directly in front of Calmette Hospital. Those around him robbed him of everything he had, including his clothes and moto, and left him to die... on the street, on the curb, in front of a hospital. Yes, I know you have to pay up front, but to rob him while he's lying unconscious on the road...

This is NOT the typical experience of Cambodia as I know it, though - perhaps it IS just the drivers in front of Calmette.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Posts: 383
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:56 am
Reputation: 120
Cambodia

Re: PassApp scam

Post by PIEMAN » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:34 pm

:stir: Maybe like some off the big establishments in pp,hospitals should have their own pass apps,i see they have made them wait across the road,but the hawkers are still at the front gates,a copper with a big stick is needed,as anyone with a ounce off humanity needs time to get there self together when leaving hospital,I usually walk but GOUT says no atm :stir:
Meat pie Sausage Roll come on Rovers score a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/Pieman-Phnom-P ... 711967235/
User avatar
Username Taken
Raven
Posts: 9649
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:53 pm
Reputation: 1345
Contact:
Cambodia

Re: PassApp scam

Post by Username Taken » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:49 am

PIEMAN wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:41 pm
:beer3: It annoys me when they do not turn there phone on,or do not have them plugged in.Today leaving hospital i had got as far as The Pub when i realised he had no phone on show,when challenged he says "no speak english"change from when we chat outside Callemette.I told him how much i was willing to pay to carry on our journey and he agreed,i do not know wether the play on the fact that they know people have other things on their mind at Hospitals or they are just cheats out and out. :bow:
If you want him to use the phone app, then you need to book him via the phone app. Why would he need his phone turned on if you had already told him how much you were willing to pay?

#Fakescam
... give 'em a quick, short, sharp shock ...

https://BooksAboutCambodia.com
User avatar
Cam Nivag
Expatriate
Posts: 2246
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 10:17 am
Reputation: 569
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: PassApp scam

Post by Cam Nivag » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:52 am

StroppyChops wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:01 pm


This is NOT the typical experience of Cambodia as I know it, though - perhaps it IS just the drivers in front of Calmette.
It also just happened to the Ukrainian who crashed on Street 240.

There have been numerous stories about this from Cambodia. If you crash on the road, there's a good chance someone will rob you as you lay dead or dying. If you die in your apartment, there's a good chance the police will steal/confiscate your valuables.

This is very much a typical experience in Cambodia. Go lie face down in a road in Cambodia and pretend to be unconscious and see what happens. You won't have your phone and cash very long. Contrast this with Japan, where salarymen go out drink until passing out on the street and then wake up in the morning with their money in their pockets, usually.
explorer
Expatriate
Posts: 875
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:37 pm
Reputation: 282
Australia

Re: PassApp scam

Post by explorer » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:11 am

Cam Nivag wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:52 am
StroppyChops wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:01 pm

This is NOT the typical experience of Cambodia as I know it, though - perhaps it IS just the drivers in front of Calmette.
It also just happened to the Ukrainian who crashed on Street 240.

There have been numerous stories about this from Cambodia. If you crash on the road, there's a good chance someone will rob you as you lay dead or dying. If you die in your apartment, there's a good chance the police will steal/confiscate your valuables.

This is very much a typical experience in Cambodia. Go lie face down in a road in Cambodia and pretend to be unconscious and see what happens. You won't have your phone and cash very long. Contrast this with Japan, where salarymen go out drink until passing out on the street and then wake up in the morning with their money in their pockets, usually.
PhnomRon wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:22 pm
I read elsewhere that the video showed he was hit by another bike(?) and there was some question as to whether it was intentional, to set up the robbery.
clutchcargo wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:39 am
Sadly, the people that do this have no scruples. A friend of mine was pulled off her moto while riding and her moto stolen by thieves. They couldn't give a shit what happened to her...luckily she got away with bruises.
newsworthy/bouchon-wine-bar-staff-tymur ... 25667.html

Many people assume that Cambodians think like us. They see something bad happen, and think it is just one or two bad people. There are some good people in Cambodia, but there are many who dont have morals, and will steal from the dying. They will also rob people and not care if they are injured of killed in the process.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
bong.kuit
Expatriate
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:16 pm
Reputation: 26

Re: PassApp scam

Post by bong.kuit » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:42 am

explorer wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:11 am

Many people assume that Cambodians think like us. They see something bad happen, and think it is just one or two bad people. There are some good people in Cambodia, but there are many who dont have morals, and will steal from the dying. They will also rob people and not care if they are injured of killed in the process.
'Us' being members of the superior aryan race, I suppose?!
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 8311
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 1210
Location: the far side of the moon
Aruba

Re: PassApp scam

Post by phuketrichard » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:03 am

explorer wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:11 am


Many people assume that Cambodians think like us. They see something bad happen, and think it is just one or two bad people. There are some good people in Cambodia, but there are many who dont have morals, and will steal from the dying. They will also rob people and not care if they are injured of killed in the process.
what you mean "us"
i dont think anything like you

same same every country on earth.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
User avatar
RickyBobby
Expatriate
Posts: 582
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:44 pm
Reputation: 180
Cambodia

Re: PassApp scam

Post by RickyBobby » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:48 am

This guy that just dropped me at the airport grab my bag and then just said $10, while I was looking at them I am waiting to see the price. After some moments I realized he hadn’t turned off his side of the app to complete the transaction. So I told him you get your phone and finish but he wouldn’t then he said eight, I said it should be around 6.50 (according to estimate) So he fished out a little bit more and handed me three dollars and 2000 riel. When he departed I see the price was 5.50. I rated him 1 star because of that and also because when he arrived (like the other driver I had earlier, he just popped the trunk while sitting in the car and made me load my own bag.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
User avatar
Captain Bonez
Baked
Posts: 444
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:44 pm
Reputation: 249
Location: La-Z-Boy
Nigeria

Re: PassApp scam

Post by Captain Bonez » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:22 pm

I hailed a rickshaw yesterday off the street and when I got in and we started moving he brought up some nondescript app on his phone that just read 'Taxi' that started at 3000 riel and started ticking over fairly quickly.

I said something like 'what's this? No thanks' and he turned it off. It definitely wasn't a passapp or grab app, just a meter app that judging by the speed of it turning over would have probably been easily double or triple the normal fare.

Not sure if a scam or not
Keep your money in your socks and fuck with your socks on

̿ ̿'̿'̿\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿
User avatar
John Bingham
Expatriate
Posts: 5141
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:26 pm
Reputation: 1327
Yemen

Re: PassApp scam

Post by John Bingham » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:33 pm

Captain Bonez wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:22 pm
I hailed a rickshaw yesterday off the street and when I got in and we started moving he brought up some nondescript app on his phone that just read 'Taxi' that started at 3000 riel and started ticking over fairly quickly.
I was waiting on a Passapp I ordered and one rolled up so I guessed it was the right one. It had one of those Taxi apps and cost about twice normal.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aem, Bing [Bot], Bubble T, Duncan, Element6, Google [Bot], k*rm*geddon, rogerrabbit, sklmeera, Splashback, talltuktuk and 363 guests