PassApp scam

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything, whether it relates to Cambodia or not. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
Kampoochie
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: PassApp scam

Post by Kampoochie » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:44 am

fax wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:35 am
Kampoochie wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:21 am
I'm a fan of giving them a slightly wrong address of a neighbor I dislike so when I do need to argue, I don't worry about them sending their cousin who does B&Es to my house.
Which app has the kick-my-ass button you would accidentally press?

I mean seriously what can you possibly do so wrong they would want to come back to your house?
I've had a few tuk-tuk rides with mafia guys that made me think "huh…don't really like them knowing where i live." I also wouldn't underestimate the amount of boiling rage felt in a shame-based culture like Khmer culture — perceived slights and disrespect might as well be a slap in the face.
Paulo
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Paulo » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:38 am

Sometimes they will turn the meter on a few hundred meters before picking you up to get a few pennies more.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:00 am

Tarndog wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:36 am
Recently had a driver drive all around, stopping several times to look more closely, trying to find the place he said he knew of and how to get there. I contend that the drivers are both stupid as hell AND trying to scam ALL customers.
FTFY

A tuk tuk driver will scam a Cambodian just as easy as you, when he gets the chance.
Just don't give 'm the chance and you'll be good.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:01 am

Paulo wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:38 am
Sometimes they will turn the meter on a few hundred meters before picking you up to get a few pennies more.
Which doesn't work by the way.....
But they haven't found out yet.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:09 am

Tarndog wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:38 pm
Its not the same in Shv.
Usually in PP, I'm with Khmer friends who know where to go and how much to pay.
You're close to delirious if you think your Khmer friends have your best interest at heart. Khmer always help other Khmer first.
The above poster said that he goes with his Khmer friends.

Why would Khmer allow other Khmer knowingly rip them off?

Know any Khmer who would deliberately let a PassApp driver cluelessly go around in circles because a barang is riding with them?

Better yet, please let everyone know who these scammer Khmer friends you have so we can avoid them.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:21 pm

fax wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:06 am
I find that they'll often take off in the wrong direction and when they see it on the map they turn around to the right direction.

Sometimes they just start out wrong but learn which way is right.
I had a driver today take me on the scenic route, but I was fairly convinced it wasn't intentional. He later realised his mistake, and suggested I just pay him $3 instead of the $3.25 he was due. It's only 25 cents, but the point is he wanted to make good on his mistake. Naturally I rounded up.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic