“My Partner”

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
flying chicken
Expatriate
Posts: 1559
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 5:51 am
Reputation: 0

Re: “My Partner”

Post by flying chicken » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:38 pm

Forget what I said. I just worried about that repented dude who who ran over a countryside chicken calling me conspiracy theorist,
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
User avatar
LTO
Expatriate
Posts: 1384
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 10:28 pm
Reputation: 7
Location: KH
Contact:

Re: “My Partner”

Post by LTO » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:27 pm

FreeSocrates! wrote:Some Americans also put Canadian flags on their backpacks when they travel.
They used to at least. Common 20 years ago, that practice seems to be falling out of fashion, possibly because the harder core anti-Americans out there (Islamic terrorists and the like) don't seem to care much about the distinction.

I grew up in the States just a few miles from the border with relatives on both sides. For those with an ear for accents, I have often been guessed Canadian. Took me years to work the 'eh?' out of my speech pattern, and it still sneaks in on occasion.
terrifiedanimal wrote:I don't mind it when gays use the term partner, but I secretly feel a little bad for them for having to resort to such a poor description of their commitment to each others.

How about when long-term couples who have children and/or share major life-long commitments like owning a home together, refer to their spouse as their "boyfriend" or "girlfriend". The term is suitable for teenagers or casual dating, but to me, it sounds too frivolous for a committed couple who're raising kids or who have major, long-term commitments together.

I have a relative who has been living with the same man for 12 years and has two kids by him and refers to him as her boyfriend. Grow the fuck up! You didn't meet yesterday and you're way beyond dating, so let's use labels that hold a little context for a change.
Yes, that is basically what 'partner' means when referring to a domestic relationship - a long-term, marriage-like, ostensibly permanent domestic relationship between people who have not legally formalized that relationship.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4193
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Reputation: 16
United States of America

Re: “My Partner”

Post by OrangeDragon » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:35 pm

I just call mine "the missus".
User avatar
Username Taken
Raven
Posts: 11379
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:53 pm
Reputation: 2782
Contact:
Cambodia

Re: “My Partner”

Post by Username Taken » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:59 pm

I heard a rumour that Gen Mac received a wedding invitation inviting 'General Mac and Partner'.

I heard that he took OD to the wedding with him. :facepalm:

:ROFL:
... give 'em a quick, short, sharp shock ...

https://BooksAboutCambodia.com
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4193
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Reputation: 16
United States of America

Re: “My Partner”

Post by OrangeDragon » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:03 pm

That dress made me look fabulous.
User avatar
General Mackevili
The General
Posts: 17031
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 5:24 pm
Reputation: 2005
Location: The Kingdom
Contact:
United States of America

Re: “My Partner”

Post by General Mackevili » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:07 pm

LTO wrote: When I meet someone with a North American accent I always assume they are Canadian, or at least that's what I say, because if you call an American a Canadian they just say 'no, I'm from the US' and the conversation moves on. But if you call a Canadian an American, they whine like little girls for 15 minutes then do another 30 minute tirade on how they are Americans (but not USanians) too.
LoL, I'm going to start "guessing" everyone is American. This should be fun.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
User avatar
Username Taken
Raven
Posts: 11379
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:53 pm
Reputation: 2782
Contact:
Cambodia

Re: “My Partner”

Post by Username Taken » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:09 pm

OrangeDragon wrote:That dress made me look fabulous.
I was referring to business partner.
... give 'em a quick, short, sharp shock ...

https://BooksAboutCambodia.com
User avatar
ali baba
Expatriate
Posts: 692
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 3:27 am
Reputation: 34

Re: “My Partner”

Post by ali baba » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:45 pm

flying chicken wrote:
ali baba wrote:LTO, Canada is very much an auxiliary of the USA. The economies are thoroughly integrated and Canada has no option of developing an independent foreign policy with the world's superpower bearing down on it.

Not that I care but if they're going to get butt hurt over it.....
Let me guess, you are a Canadian. Your countrymen done no shit of those who are in need of helps, but sprouting with envy, hence being anti-american is your (polite) way of getting your point across. Shit getting old man.
You guessed wrong. Also I don't see any anti-American sentiment in my post. If anything I was anti-Canada. I know that english isn't your first language but you got this completely backwards. Also if you'd looked at my profile you'd know that I am 27, not so old.
General Mackevili wrote:
LTO wrote: When I meet someone with a North American accent I always assume they are Canadian, or at least that's what I say, because if you call an American a Canadian they just say 'no, I'm from the US' and the conversation moves on. But if you call a Canadian an American, they whine like little girls for 15 minutes then do another 30 minute tirade on how they are Americans (but not USanians) too.
LoL, I'm going to start "guessing" everyone is American. This should be fun.
Apparently I type with a Canadian accent. :?:
Scarier than malaria.
flying chicken
Expatriate
Posts: 1559
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 5:51 am
Reputation: 0

Re: “My Partner”

Post by flying chicken » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:51 pm

ali baba wrote:
flying chicken wrote:
ali baba wrote:LTO, Canada is very much an auxiliary of the USA. The economies are thoroughly integrated and Canada has no option of developing an independent foreign policy with the world's superpower bearing down on it.

Not that I care but if they're going to get butt hurt over it.....
Let me guess, you are a Canadian. Your countrymen done no shit of those who are in need of helps, but sprouting with envy, hence being anti-american is your (polite) way of getting your point across. Shit getting old man.
You guessed wrong. Also I don't see any anti-American sentiment in my post. If anything I was anti-Canada. I know that english isn't your first language but you got this completely backwards. Also if you'd looked at my profile you'd know that I am 27, not so old.
General Mackevili wrote:
LTO wrote: When I meet someone with a North American accent I always assume they are Canadian, or at least that's what I say, because if you call an American a Canadian they just say 'no, I'm from the US' and the conversation moves on. But if you call a Canadian an American, they whine like little girls for 15 minutes then do another 30 minute tirade on how they are Americans (but not USanians) too.
LoL, I'm going to start "guessing" everyone is American. This should be fun.
Apparently I type with a Canadian accent. :?:
You are right that English isn't my first language...honestly, I dont even know what my first language is, because I happen to speak 4 different languages. Try twisting your tongues and converse and shit daily and report back
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
flying chicken
Expatriate
Posts: 1559
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 5:51 am
Reputation: 0

Re: “My Partner”

Post by flying chicken » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:57 pm

And for the record, your age is just slighter young than mine.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AndyKK, clutchcargo, lagrange, PSD-Kiwi, tathom, whatwat, xandreu and 274 guests